MSGSRV32.exe DIE!!!!!

G

I am building a system right now that has an athalon thunderbird 1 ghz processor, epox 8kta3 (kt133a chipset), and a Geforce 2 GTS 64 MB video card. All jumpers and bios should be correctly configured. After days of countless formats and reinstalls, I keep getting a registry error from MSGSRV32.exe. Then The pc boots back to a saved version of windows with no drivers, I reinstall drivers, and WINDOWS REGISTRY ERROR comes up again. I have tried win98, winME, and win98 s.e. I have heard about problems with geforce and athalon's, but i thought they fixed that? Anyone have an idea what is going on before i throw this thing out of the window!!!! THANKS!!!

Lucol

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It's probably your memory, or you could be overheating just a bit. Try different memory if you can, I've seen this happen with generic brand memory modules, and no OS will install.

G

I just tried switching out the RAM from another system that is working and it still crshed during installation. I got an invalid DPMI return from 037f:5f92. I have no idea what that means, but I'm almost positive now I have a bad processor or bad M.B. The processor is usually running at about 109 degrees F. Is that too hot? Is there any way to test a processor to know if it isn't working correctly? Or should I just send both back and get new ones? Thanks

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You kinda have to eliminate problems one at a time. The same thing happened to me with an A7V. I had a dimm mismarked as 133. It turned out to be 100mhz memory. I had errors and crashed like you would not believe. If the memory speeds are set correctly and you can eliminate memory problems, check for IRQ or driver conflicts. I am assuming you have a probe-type program to check all your voltages. The T-bird chip is OK up to 160F on temp. It MUST have a 300 watt power supply. Your V-core voltage should be in the vicinity of 1.80. I am assuming that you have the latest BIOS, have defragged your master drive, have checked device manager for conflicts, and visited your MB manufacturers site for troubleshooting faqs via another PC if necessary. Take it easy and do things one at a time. I had to send my best friend (the programmer) home because I thought he was going to smash my machine he got so frustrated. Hope this helps.

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
My setup was somewhat different to yours (Celeron, BX board) but I have suffered identical problems.

Cured the fault by resetting the BIOS to defaults.

I had tweaked many BIOS options for performance, running no probs for some time, I never did find out which one caused. all the grief.

TRENDING THREADS