Sign in with
Your question
Solved

XP Pro, Windows 8 Upgrade and AHCI

Last response: in Windows 8
a c 417 * Windows 8
September 4, 2012 8:42:29 AM

I'm planning a build to include a 120Gb SSD and have pre-ordered Win 8 Upgrade, thought i'd be clever and cut costs by getting XP Pro SP3 and upgrading that. Trouble is I'll want to enable AHCI, and XP install doesn't see the drives with AHCI enabled, not sure how I'll get round that! Suppose it depends on what the Upgrade expects as proof of existing installation? Any suggestions as to how to proceeed welcome...
September 4, 2012 2:17:18 PM

Cancel the Win 8 upgrade, no sane person wants Windows 8.

Get Windows 7. Run the Windows Easy Transfer Wizard to backup your XP profile and copy across files and documents you want to keep. Enable AHCI on your motherboard. Use you upgrade disc to do clean install of Windows 7.

Upgrade discs will allow an inplace upgrade from the previous Windows version but will force a clean install from the version prior to that. Anything older and you will need a full install disc.
m
l
a c 417 * Windows 8
September 4, 2012 4:21:26 PM

I've been running 7 Pro since it was issued, but my daughter wants to try 8! I've been running the Developer with mixed results, some apps seem to run a bit faster but I'm not impressed with the interface, spend too long looking for things and when you find them it's not easy to get out of them.. perhaps it takes a young mind...
m
l
Related resources
a b * Windows 8
September 4, 2012 4:40:38 PM

Windows XP install needs a ahci driver floppy to be able to install. It is a pain that I never got to work.

If you order the windows 8 upgrade dvd, I think you will have no problem.
On windows 7 upgrade dvd, you can install directly to a ahci enabled ssd.
I would hope that windows 8 would not regress on that capability.

I would not bother with a new xp license that you will discard.

If you have two or more pc's that need upgrading to windows 7, there is a family pack that includes a three time license for about $130.
m
l
September 4, 2012 4:50:36 PM

If you do want to install XP with the storage controller in AHCI mode, check out nLite for adding the AHCI driver to the XP disc. This avoids the requirement of having to use a floppy drive.

Windows 8 will install on AHCI without any modifications.
m
l

Best solution

September 4, 2012 6:18:30 PM

Easy, install Windows XP in IDE mode, upgrade to Windows 8, and then follow this Microsoft link.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Are you sure you want Windows 8? You would be better of with Windows 7, or is it because you can get Windows 8 very cheaply.

Windows 8 can be made more tolerable with the following two programs installed

ClassicShellSetup_3_6_1
Ribbon disabler
a c 417 * Windows 8
September 4, 2012 7:01:44 PM

pjmelect said:
Easy, install Windows XP in IDE mode, upgrade to Windows 8, and then follow this Microsoft link.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Are you sure you want Windows 8? You would be better of with Windows 7, or is it because you can get Windows 8 very cheaply.

Windows 8 can be made more tolerable with the following two programs installed

ClassicShellSetup_3_6_1
Ribbon disabler

Well, my daughter is doing an Honours degree in Media Studies, her final year involves a lot of Video editing, guess I hoped 8 would be an improvement over 7, but won't know until we do a side-by-side comparison with similar systems. (suspect not...) So I'll put the upgrade in a new machine in the hope it will be a little more bug-free than the evaluation version and see how we get on.
If it's as crap as everyone claims I'll stick it in a TX 2500 lappy just for fun as it has a touch screen....
m
l
a c 417 * Windows 8
September 4, 2012 7:02:24 PM

Best answer selected by dodger46.
m
l
September 4, 2012 7:10:20 PM

It takes getting used to for sure and most people who complain about the changes in Win 8 are just really resistant to change, don't have a clue, or just a mean spirited hater. There are a couple valid concerns though, just those typically don't make it through all the uneducated storm of hate.

The improvements to the general underlying function of the OS and the snappiness improvements are great in Win 8 and are what sells me on it. It is a much more modern OS and yes a "young" mind will do a bit better with the more intuitive aspects of the UI. As was already pointed out if you desire the "old" way of doing things there are plenty of "APP-lications" or programs as the old school calls them =P that can make that happen.
m
l
September 4, 2012 11:59:40 PM

I have been using Windows 8 from the first beta version through to the final version. I hate the interface formerly known as Metro, it does not work well with the keyboard and mouse, most of the supplied apps are rubbish and only duplicate what you can do online with a web browser. It does have the desktop, but unfortunately it is a cut down version with no Aero, gadgets or start menu. Explore has a new ribbon interface which I disliked. Installing ClassicShellSetup_3_6_1 and Ribbon disabler makes it much more useable. It is a bit faster than Windows 7 about 15% or so depending on what and how you are testing it, but Microsoft has said that some of the speed improvements will be added to Windows 7 once Windows 8 is launched. I know that you can get it very cheaply before Christmas when it will then go to its full price. If I had to pay for a operating system I would be tempted in getting Windows 8 before Christmas but no one in their right mind would pay the full price they would be better of getting Windows 7.
m
l
!