  • DVD RW
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
July 9, 2005 3:04:31 AM

For some reason, my DVD-RW drive(s) (I've bought more since this started to
happen) will no longer detect writable DVDs or CDs. I installed a new
DVD-RW burner earlier, about 30 minutes ago actually, and when I inserted a
blank DVD-RW, the drive blinked several times and then just stayed lit. I'm
fairly certain that this is a Windows problem instead of a drive problem.
Can anyone help me with this?

More about : dvd detect writable dvd

Anonymous
July 9, 2005 3:04:32 AM

Brandon wrote:
> For some reason, my DVD-RW drive(s) (I've bought more since this
> started to happen) will no longer detect writable DVDs or CDs. I
> installed a new DVD-RW burner earlier, about 30 minutes ago actually,
> and when I inserted a blank DVD-RW, the drive blinked several times
> and then just stayed lit. I'm fairly certain that this is a Windows
> problem instead of a drive problem. Can anyone help me with this?

If you go into your system BIOS (before Windows ever loads) and then eject
the empty drive bay, insert a DVD and watch the light - what happens?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

I know that it laready detect regular DVDs and CDs in Windows. I forogot to
mention that.

> If you go into your system BIOS (before Windows ever loads) and then eject
> the empty drive bay, insert a DVD and watch the light - what happens?
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

July 9, 2005 11:37:21 AM

Brandon wrote:
> I know that it laready detect regular DVDs and CDs in Windows. I
> forogot to mention that.

Okay - but that does not answer the question asked..

How does it react when Windows is out of the picture. You were quick to
blame Windows - this is why I gave you the test to see how the drives react
when Windows is NOT in the picture.

Or, are you saying it no longer pops up in Windows and ask uyou what to do
with the blank CD/DVDs and this is your problem? Can you still write to the
blank CD/DVDs using whatever method you had grown accustomed to using *if*
you go through the application(s) manually (without notification from
Windows that you have inserted a blank CD/DVD)?

Have you checked the properties of the drive (the recording tab
specifically, and the autoplay tab) to make sure they are configured
properly?
Do you have more than one CD/DVD writer currently in your system (at the
same time) and do they both react like this?
What application(s) do you use to burn CD/DVDs?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Sorry about that. I went into BIOS and inserted a blank DVD and it did the
same thing as win Windows: blinked roughly 25 times and then stopped
blinking. I also opened up the tower and changed the positions of the
DVD-ROM and DVD-RW drives just to see if anything different would happen,
but no. I seriously doubt that it is a hardware problem, because again,
this is a brand-new drive.

Shenan Stanley wrote:

>> For some reason, my DVD-RW drive(s) (I've bought more since this
>> started to happen) will no longer detect writable DVDs or CDs. I
>> installed a new DVD-RW burner earlier, about 30 minutes ago actually,
>> and when I inserted a blank DVD-RW, the drive blinked several times
>> and then just stayed lit. I'm fairly certain that this is a Windows
>> problem instead of a drive problem. Can anyone help me with this?
>
> Shenan Stanley wrote:
>> If you go into your system BIOS (before Windows ever loads) and then
>> eject the empty drive bay, insert a DVD and watch the light - what
>> happens?
>
> Brandon wrote:
>> I know that it laready detect regular DVDs and CDs in Windows. I
>> forogot to mention that.
>
> Okay - but that does not answer the question asked..
>
> How does it react when Windows is out of the picture. You were quick to
> blame Windows - this is why I gave you the test to see how the drives
> react when Windows is NOT in the picture.
>
> Or, are you saying it no longer pops up in Windows and ask uyou what to do
> with the blank CD/DVDs and this is your problem? Can you still write to
> the blank CD/DVDs using whatever method you had grown accustomed to using
> *if* you go through the application(s) manually (without notification from
> Windows that you have inserted a blank CD/DVD)?
>
> Have you checked the properties of the drive (the recording tab
> specifically, and the autoplay tab) to make sure they are configured
> properly?
> Do you have more than one CD/DVD writer currently in your system (at the
> same time) and do they both react like this?
> What application(s) do you use to burn CD/DVDs?
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

July 12, 2005 4:21:32 PM

The blinking is normal the steady light means it's ready.. What burning app
are you using? Can you format the disk?

Also, you said you switched the drives, are they both on the same secondary
IDE channel and set to computer select? There are jumpers on the drive M,S,CS
and it depends how the jumpers are set. If both are set to CS computer
select, then you can switch them without changing the jumpers, However, if
the 1st drive is set to M for master and the 2nd drive is set for S slave
then you will have created more of a problem.

Windows XP will not burn or format new media for you, you will need to use
the software that came with the DVD-RW drive to format for either drag and
drop burning like a floppy or erase the disk to burn and or copy video clips,
DVDs. Use the software's Wizard to help you decide the proper burning
technique.

"Brandon" wrote:

> Sorry about that. I went into BIOS and inserted a blank DVD and it did the
> same thing as win Windows: blinked roughly 25 times and then stopped
> blinking. I also opened up the tower and changed the positions of the
> DVD-ROM and DVD-RW drives just to see if anything different would happen,
> but no. I seriously doubt that it is a hardware problem, because again,
> this is a brand-new drive.
>
> Shenan Stanley wrote:
> >>
> >> For some reason, my DVD-RW drive(s) (I've bought more since this
> >> started to happen) will no longer detect writable DVDs or CDs. I
> >> installed a new DVD-RW burner earlier, about 30 minutes ago actually,
> >> and when I inserted a blank DVD-RW, the drive blinked several times
> >> and then just stayed lit. I'm fairly certain that this is a Windows
> >> problem instead of a drive problem. Can anyone help me with this?
> >
> > Shenan Stanley wrote:
> >> If you go into your system BIOS (before Windows ever loads) and then
> >> eject the empty drive bay, insert a DVD and watch the light - what
> >> happens?
> >
> > Brandon wrote:
> >> I know that it laready detect regular DVDs and CDs in Windows. I
> >> forogot to mention that.
> >
> > Okay - but that does not answer the question asked..
> >
> > How does it react when Windows is out of the picture. You were quick to
> > blame Windows - this is why I gave you the test to see how the drives
> > react when Windows is NOT in the picture.
> >
> > Or, are you saying it no longer pops up in Windows and ask uyou what to do
> > with the blank CD/DVDs and this is your problem? Can you still write to
> > the blank CD/DVDs using whatever method you had grown accustomed to using
> > *if* you go through the application(s) manually (without notification from
> > Windows that you have inserted a blank CD/DVD)?
> >
> > Have you checked the properties of the drive (the recording tab
> > specifically, and the autoplay tab) to make sure they are configured
> > properly?
> > Do you have more than one CD/DVD writer currently in your system (at the
> > same time) and do they both react like this?
> > What application(s) do you use to burn CD/DVDs?
> >
> > --
> > Shenan Stanley
> > MS-MVP
> > --
> > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

July 12, 2005 7:28:55 PM

I am currently using Sonic RecordNow! version 7.3. I cannot format the
disc, and when I open the program with a blank disc in the drive, it just
says to insert a disc. When I open the program with an un-recordable disc
it can detect it no problem. As for how the drive jumpers are set, I have
the DVD-ROM set for Master, but I'm not too certain on the DVD-RW because it
does not have any markings on it. I believe I set it for Cable Select based
on how I compared it to that of the previous DVD-RW.

"Jaymon" <Jaymon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The blinking is normal the steady light means it's ready.. What burning
> app
> are you using? Can you format the disk?
>
> Also, you said you switched the drives, are they both on the same
> secondary
> IDE channel and set to computer select? There are jumpers on the drive
> M,S,CS
> and it depends how the jumpers are set. If both are set to CS computer
> select, then you can switch them without changing the jumpers, However, if
> the 1st drive is set to M for master and the 2nd drive is set for S slave
> then you will have created more of a problem.
>
> Windows XP will not burn or format new media for you, you will need to use
> the software that came with the DVD-RW drive to format for either drag and
> drop burning like a floppy or erase the disk to burn and or copy video
> clips,
> DVDs. Use the software's Wizard to help you decide the proper burning
> technique.

> "Brandon" wrote:
>
>> Sorry about that. I went into BIOS and inserted a blank DVD and it did
>> the
>> same thing as win Windows: blinked roughly 25 times and then stopped
>> blinking. I also opened up the tower and changed the positions of the
>> DVD-ROM and DVD-RW drives just to see if anything different would happen,
>> but no. I seriously doubt that it is a hardware problem, because again,
>> this is a brand-new drive.

>> > Okay - but that does not answer the question asked..
>> >
>> > How does it react when Windows is out of the picture. You were quick
>> > blame Windows - this is why I gave you the test to see how the drives
>> > react when Windows is NOT in the picture.
>> >
>> > Or, are you saying it no longer pops up in Windows and ask uyou what to
>> > do
>> > with the blank CD/DVDs and this is your problem? Can you still write
>> > the blank CD/DVDs using whatever method you had grown accustomed to
>> > using
>> > *if* you go through the application(s) manually (without notification
>> > from
>> > Windows that you have inserted a blank CD/DVD)?
>> >
>> > Have you checked the properties of the drive (the recording tab
>> > specifically, and the autoplay tab) to make sure they are configured
>> > properly?
>> > Do you have more than one CD/DVD writer currently in your system (at
>> > the
>> > same time) and do they both react like this?
>> > What application(s) do you use to burn CD/DVDs?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Shenan Stanley
>> > MS-MVP
>> > --
>> > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
>> > http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 8:48:01 PM

Ok, you really need to get the jumper issue right first. On the quick
installation guide for a retail boxed drive it should tell you or you should
see a picture or diagram, sometimes it is on the top of the unit itself. If
you look closely at were the jumper pins are and just above on the green
circuit board, some have small letters as in m,s,cs .
Also, the data cable as you look at it has three connectors the one at the
end is for the top or master and the middle one is for the slave the last one
(blue usually) goes to the mother board.
It's a good idea to set any new device the same as the others, if your
system was bought OEM, then CS is used for HD and CD devices from the
factory. If you are adding the DVD burner under the original device that was
set for CS then the burner should be set to CS as well. The 2nd IDE channel
will handle 2 devices, as well the 1st IDE channel's devices are the hard
drives also set to CS from the factory. Now if they, the HD's are set master
and slave on the 1st channel, then so should the devices on the 2nd channel
be set the same way.

Check the web site of the drive in question for a diagram or install guide
and while there you may need to chat online to get a firmware update if
available, just explain your dilemma with XP since SP2 update. Also ask about
the media you are trying to burn to, it needs to be compatible too.

j;-)

"Brandon" wrote:

> I am currently using Sonic Record! version 7.3. I cannot format the
> disc, and when I open the program with a blank disc in the drive, it just
> says to insert a disc. When I open the program with an un-recordable disc
> it can detect it no problem. As for how the drive jumpers are set, I have
> the DVD-ROM set for Master, but I'm not too certain on the DVD-RW because it
> does not have any markings on it. I believe I set it for Cable Select based
> on how I compared it to that of the previous DVD-RW.
>
> "Jaymon" <Jaymon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The blinking is normal the steady light means it's ready.. What burning
> > app
> > are you using? Can you format the disk?
> >
> > Also, you said you switched the drives, are they both on the same
> > secondary
> > IDE channel and set to computer select? There are jumpers on the drive
> > M,S,CS
> > and it depends how the jumpers are set. If both are set to CS computer
> > select, then you can switch them without changing the jumpers, However, if
> > the 1st drive is set to M for master and the 2nd drive is set for S slave
> > then you will have created more of a problem.
> >
> > Windows XP will not burn or format new media for you, you will need to use
> > the software that came with the DVD-RW drive to format for either drag and
> > drop burning like a floppy or erase the disk to burn and or copy video
> > clips,
> > DVDs. Use the software's Wizard to help you decide the proper burning
> > technique.

> > "Brandon" wrote:
> >
> >> Sorry about that. I went into BIOS and inserted a blank DVD and it did
> >> the
> >> same thing as win Windows: blinked roughly 25 times and then stopped
> >> blinking. I also opened up the tower and changed the positions of the
> >> DVD-ROM and DVD-RW drives just to see if anything different would happen,
> >> but no. I seriously doubt that it is a hardware problem, because again,
> >> this is a brand-new drive.

July 13, 2005 12:58:13 AM

"Brandon" <deanfamily@erols.com> wrote in message
> I am currently using Sonic RecordNow! version 7.3. I cannot format the
> disc, and when I open the program with a blank disc in the drive, it just
> says to insert a disc. When I open the program with an un-recordable disc
> it can detect it no problem. As for how the drive jumpers are set, I have
> the DVD-ROM set for Master, but I'm not too certain on the DVD-RW because
it
> does not have any markings on it. I believe I set it for Cable Select
based
> on how I compared it to that of the previous DVD-RW.
Isn't it a mistake to set one IDE device as master, but the other as cable
select?
Go to the maker's web site and get the jumper settings.
You won't get far until the jumpers are set correctly.
Jim
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 2:53:29 PM

I just checked the jumper settings for the drive, and they were identical to
the one I had compared it to, so the jumpers are set correctly.

> [...]
>> > secondary
>> > IDE channel and set to computer select? There are jumpers on the drive
>> > M,S,CS
>> > and it depends how the jumpers are set. If both are set to CS computer
>> > select, then you can switch them without changing the jumpers, However,
>> > if
>> > the 1st drive is set to M for master and the 2nd drive is set for S
>> > slave
>> > then you will have created more of a problem.
>> >
>> > Windows XP will not burn or format new media for you, you will need to
>> > use
>> > the software that came with the DVD-RW drive to format for either drag
>> > and
>> > drop burning like a floppy or erase the disk to burn and or copy video
>> > clips,
>> > DVDs. Use the software's Wizard to help you decide the proper burning

July 13, 2005 6:34:04 PM

Ok, you had a dvd rw drive and replaced it with a new one and are still
having the same problem or is it a new problem.

Ok, so we can ID your drive download the nero info tool and run it.
Also, see the drive string and firmware ver, maybe this will help you id
both drives so I can help solve or point you in the right direction.

Go to the site below and get the nero info tool.
http://www.iomagic.com/Firmware/NeroInfotool/NeroInfoTo...

Go here to see the drive string and firmware ver# for the info tool.

!