Hercules Prophet II MX problem.

G

Here's my current problem:

Homebuilt system: Win 98 SE
Abit ZM6 M/B (Intel 440 ZX; AGP 1x/2x)
Celeron 466
128 MB
was running Creative Labs Graphics Blaster TNT with no problem.

Added in Hercules Prophet II MX. By Instructions, I (a) removed all CL software and drivers; (b)removed the old card; (c) Inserted new card; (d) boot.

Here's where the problem manifests - if you image a "full" screen of DOS text info during booting, the monitor is magnifying and showing about 66% of the top-left corner. Text runs off to the right and bottom of the screen. When Windows loads, the picture in the same.

I can make out enough of the screen to see the PnP driver installation, and all looks good for the loading, but nothing changes. Reboot, nothing. Play with what controls I can get to through my limited vision, and no change.

I go to remove the card and swap in the old, and the Prophet is hot to the touch.

So, from what I can find, there may be an issue with AGP 1.0 vs. 2.0. However, I don't know what the real difference is, or how to find out what I have (every reference I can find says that the AGP slot is 1x/2x).

Any help to salvage the card would be appreciated.

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What kind of monitor are you using. If its a really old one, judging by the MB used I thought i would ask. If its a really old monitor then it could be a refresh rate. That would be why you could see the dos stuff. It runs a lower resolution and refresh then. Once it gets into windows that is a differant story. Another thing would be to try the card in another machine. If same problem on differant monitor then the card is at fault.