Missing Tabs on Display Properties (WinXP-HE+ SP2)

July 9, 2005 3:14:02 AM

I was downloading a picture from Webshot Desktop which was automatically
installed as desktop wallpaper but there was an error in the installation. As
the result some of the Display Properties' Tab are missing (themes, desktop,
appearance). I've copied new desk.cpl file but it doesn't fix the problem.
Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
Thanks.
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 3:23:56 AM

"parlins" <parlins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I was downloading a picture from Webshot Desktop which was
>automatically
> installed as desktop wallpaper but there was an error in the
> installation. As
> the result some of the Display Properties' Tab are missing (themes,
> desktop,
> appearance). I've copied new desk.cpl file but it doesn't fix the
> problem.
> Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
> Thanks.

Scan your system to rid of Spyware, malware, and parasites.

Adaware SE (free)
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download

Spybot - search and destroy (free)

Trend Micro - Housecall (free)
http://housecall.trendmicro.com

If you have XP Home, edit the registry (Appearance and Themes Tab)

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
May also be located here:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
Value Name: NoDispAppearancePage
Data type: REG_DWORD
Value Data: (0 = Tabs, 1 = No Tabs)

If you have XP Pro, use the Group Policy Editor to undo the changes.

The navigate here:
User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Control Panel > Display
> Hide Appearance and Theme tab
Select Not Configured.
----
If you have XP Home, edit the registry (Desktop Tab)

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
May also be located here
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
Value Name: NoDispBackgroundPage
Data type: REG_DWORD
Value Data: (0 = Tabs, 1 = No Tabs)

If you have XP Pro, use the Group Policy Editor to undo the changes.

User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Control Panel > Display
> Hide Desktop tab
Select Not Configured.

--
William
Anonymous

Bravo William (The Great),
I have corrected the registry value (I do not know what are the name and
location of the registry), and the missing tabs are back again.
Thank you very much for prompt and great the help.
parlins

"WTC" wrote:

> "parlins" <parlins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I was downloading a picture from Webshot Desktop which was
> >automatically
> > installed as desktop wallpaper but there was an error in the
> > installation. As
> > the result some of the Display Properties' Tab are missing (themes,
> > desktop,
> > appearance). I've copied new desk.cpl file but it doesn't fix the
> > problem.
> > Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
> > Thanks.
> >

> Scan your system to rid of Spyware, malware, and parasites.
>
> Adaware SE (free)
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download
>
> Spybot - search and destroy (free)
> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
>
> Trend Micro - Housecall (free)
> http://housecall.trendmicro.com
>
> If you have XP Home, edit the registry (Appearance and Themes Tab)
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
> May also be located here:
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
> Value Name: NoDispAppearancePage
> Data type: REG_DWORD
> Value Data: (0 = Tabs, 1 = No Tabs)
>
> If you have XP Pro, use the Group Policy Editor to undo the changes.
>
> The navigate here:
> User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Control Panel > Display
> > Hide Appearance and Theme tab
> Select Not Configured.
> ----
> If you have XP Home, edit the registry (Desktop Tab)
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
> May also be located here
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
> Value Name: NoDispBackgroundPage
> Data type: REG_DWORD
> Value Data: (0 = Tabs, 1 = No Tabs)
>
> If you have XP Pro, use the Group Policy Editor to undo the changes.
>
> User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Control Panel > Display
> > Hide Desktop tab
> Select Not Configured.
>
> --
> William

Anonymous
July 9, 2005 4:24:05 AM

> "WTC" wrote:
>
>> "parlins" <parlins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I was downloading a picture from Webshot Desktop which was
>> >automatically
>> > installed as desktop wallpaper but there was an error in the
>> > installation. As
>> > the result some of the Display Properties' Tab are missing (themes,
>> > desktop,
>> > appearance). I've copied new desk.cpl file but it doesn't fix the
>> > problem.
>> > Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
>> > Thanks.
>> >

>> Scan your system to rid of Spyware, malware, and parasites.
>>
>> Adaware SE (free)
>> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download
>>
>> Spybot - search and destroy (free)
>> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
>>
>> Trend Micro - Housecall (free)
>> http://housecall.trendmicro.com
>>
>> If you have XP Home, edit the registry (Appearance and Themes Tab)
>>
>> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
>> May also be located here:
>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
>> Value Name: NoDispAppearancePage
>> Data type: REG_DWORD
>> Value Data: (0 = Tabs, 1 = No Tabs)
>>
>> If you have XP Pro, use the Group Policy Editor to undo the changes.
>>
>> The navigate here:
>> User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Control Panel >
>> Display
>> > Hide Appearance and Theme tab
>> Select Not Configured.
>> ----
>> If you have XP Home, edit the registry (Desktop Tab)
>>
>> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
>> May also be located here
>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
>> Value Name: NoDispBackgroundPage
>> Data type: REG_DWORD
>> Value Data: (0 = Tabs, 1 = No Tabs)
>>
>> If you have XP Pro, use the Group Policy Editor to undo the changes.
>>
>> User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Control Panel >
>> Display
>> > Hide Desktop tab
>> Select Not Configured.
>>
> Bravo William (The Great),
> I have corrected the registry value (I do not know what are the name
> and
> location of the registry), and the missing tabs are back again.
> Thank you very much for prompt and great the help.

You're welcome.

--
William
!