Sign in with
Your question

Creative Annihilator 2 Ultra a Good Card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2001 12:55:22 AM

Hi all,

I'm thinking of buying a new video card. My Viper V770 overheated (the fan died) so I'm looking at the GeForce cards. I know that the Elsa Gladiac Ultra is a great card, but I don't want to fork over 500 bucks. I've been reading up on the Creative Labs Annihilator 2 Ultra card. Does anyone have any comments on this card? How does it work for you... is it worth getting? The cheapest I have found is about $365 using PriceWatch. Below are my system specs.

Athlon Thunderbird 800 MHz
Asus A7V (Via KT133)
384 MB PC-100 SDRAM
SB Live Rev. A
18.3 GB Western Digital Ultra2SCSI HDD
SCSI CD, Burner, and Zip

My system should be able to handle the GF2 Ultra. If anyone has any other video card suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks!!
Andy
January 13, 2001 1:00:31 AM

The ultra can only be described as amazing, amazingly expensive that is. Don't get me wrong, it has amazing performace as well. But if it seems too pricey for your needs (which it probably is unless you do some professional work), then consider a GTS or the medium between the two, the Geforce2 Pro. However, the decision is up to you, and if you want to brag about the power under your hood then I say go for it!

- "I forgot my shirt, but I had body glitter."
January 13, 2001 1:09:29 AM

I also noticed that you are using pc100 ram, pc133 CL2 would greatly improve your performace as well in general.

maybe a cheaper GTS card and 256 PC133 CL2 ram

Just a thought
nice system though :) 
Related resources
January 13, 2001 4:03:44 AM

I've got nothing nice to say about creative. There mx version is a joke. Try checking into gainwards cardexpert gts/pro. You can get them for about $325.00 and on mine the memory easily overclocks to 475. The only differnce you will see from this card and the ultra will be by using a benchmark test in real world you will never know the difference.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2001 5:46:02 AM

Don't waste your money on an Ultra version, and opt for the Pro or normal GTS 2 version. The performance difference is not that huge for the Ultra, though it does have some benefits, but not enough to justify the almost $500 price tag. If you can, stay away from Leadtek and Creative and get an Elsa Gladiac or Guillemot 3D Prophet II GTS 2 or PRO. The reason we say stay away from Creative is because they do not give you the greatest drivers to deal with, nor are they an easy company to deal with on support. Elsa is very good.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2001 11:33:02 AM

Thanks for everyone's help! Based on the responses, I think I'm going to get the 3D Prophet II Pro. I can get it for about $280.

Andy
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2001 10:37:35 PM

I just invested in this 64 MB card and its great. Worth it if you ask me.
January 13, 2001 11:08:21 PM

I hope you know that Creative's MX is the only MX that uses DDR memory and beats all other MX's in performance.
January 13, 2001 11:22:50 PM

I had heard that the DDR version was slower than the SDR version for one simple reason. The DDR version uses a 64-bit system bus and the SDR uses 128-bit. This seems to be enough of a handicap for the DDR version that the 128-bit SDR version is faster.

- "I forgot my shirt, but I had body glitter."
January 14, 2001 1:14:52 AM

The only thing with the Creative DDR MX board is that it uses cheap 64bit DDR memory vs. Sdram at 128bit on the other boards. Some people have said that the straight SDRam is faster and more overclockable. The 64bit DDR gives you an "equivalent" of 128bit performance. IF the MX had 128bit DDR ram which is the high end stuff on Geforce DDR and above, then it would truly kick, however, as it sits now the use of ddr ram in the creative card is more hype than anything.

January 14, 2001 1:21:30 AM

Stay away from leadtech? Why leadtech makes some of the best cards out there. Did you get a bad one? I have a leadtech gforce256 ddr 64 meg that still screams and will mop the floor with any mx card out there and it won't cost you a fortune either. NO, it wont beat the gts2's but stays preety dam close to them. You have got to be one of the first that has advised against leadtech cards....how come?

January 14, 2001 5:16:15 AM

I too am interested in why you don't think a lot of Leadtek, I am saving to get a Leadtek GF 256 DDR 32meg myself. Take-Out. :^{)
!