XP network users authenticate against guest password

I am running an XP Pro SP2 machine, which has a networking problem that
extends to further problems.
It started, of course, with some user error: I was attempting to
tighten security using the security options in the Local Security
Policy. I changed most things to the "default" setting as listed in
the Help. I also changed some permissions around after disabling
Simple File Sharing. When I was satisfied with the settings, I did
some testing with another computer connected directly by a crossover
cable. My security "tightening" introduced a big hole instead.
Toggling Simple File Sharing seems to produce very different effects
now.

Simple File Sharing Enabled:
- I am no longer able to logon with any Authenticated Users'
credentials.
- ONLY the guest can successfully logon BUT I can use any username,
even just a random sequence of letters as long as I use the Guest
password. username:adsfasdf password:**** will work even though there
is no account name with asdfasdf.
- I looked through the Event Security log and compared the current
entries with those before I messed with the settings. Logging on as an
authenticated user with SFS enabled used to do a mapping with the Guest
account. Now it is impossible to even log on. I get a bad username or
password error.

Simple File Sharing Disabled:
- I AM able to logon with any Authenticated Users' credentials.
- Any username other than authenticated user with the guest password is
also valid

Disabling the Guest account does work at removing the any username can
logon problem. But I was hoping I could fix it so the authenticated
users could map to the guest account the way they used to. I have
since looked through the settings of another XP machine and changed the
settings back, but still no success in reverting back to its previous
behavior. I have gone through a lot of searches but the following post
was the closest in description, but his solution the way I understand
it, does not fix my problem.
http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-248515.php

If anyone has any suggestions/solutions that I can try at this point,
it will be much appreciated

--
ianmoone314Posted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

HOW TO Reset Security Settings Back to the Defaults:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313222

--
Mark L. Ferguson