XP network users authenticate against guest password

I am running an XP Pro SP2 machine, which has a networking problem that
extends to further problems.
It started, of course, with some user error: I was attempting to
tighten security using the security options in the Local Security
Policy. I changed most things to the "default" setting as listed in
the Help. I also changed some permissions around after disabling
Simple File Sharing. When I was satisfied with the settings, I did
some testing with another computer connected directly by a crossover
cable. My security "tightening" introduced a big hole instead.
Toggling Simple File Sharing seems to produce very different effects
now.

Simple File Sharing Enabled:
- I am no longer able to logon with any Authenticated Users'
credentials.
- ONLY the guest can successfully logon BUT I can use any username,
even just a random sequence of letters as long as I use the Guest
password. username:adsfasdf password:**** will work even though there
is no account name with asdfasdf.
- I looked through the Event Security log and compared the current
entries with those before I messed with the settings. Logging on as an
authenticated user with SFS enabled used to do a mapping with the Guest
account. Now it is impossible to even log on. I get a bad username or
password error.

Simple File Sharing Disabled:
- I AM able to logon with any Authenticated Users' credentials.
- Any username other than authenticated user with the guest password is
also valid

Disabling the Guest account does work at removing the any username can
logon problem. But I was hoping I could fix it so the authenticated
users could map to the guest account the way they used to. I have
since looked through the settings of another XP machine and changed the
settings back, but still no success in reverting back to its previous
behavior. I have gone through a lot of searches but the following post
was the closest in description, but his solution the way I understand
it, does not fix my problem.
http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-248515.php

If anyone has any suggestions/solutions that I can try at this point,
it will be much appreciated

--
ianmoone314Posted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
1 answer Last reply

    HOW TO Reset Security Settings Back to the Defaults:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313222

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    "ianmoone314" <ianmoone314.1rwcia@> wrote in message news:pP-dnYG5TOYwA1LfRVn_vg@giganews.com...

    > I am running an XP Pro SP2 machine, which has a networking problem that
    > extends to further problems.
    > It started, of course, with some user error: I was attempting to
    > tighten security using the security options in the Local Security
    > Policy. I changed most things to the "default" setting as listed in
    > the Help. I also changed some permissions around after disabling
    > Simple File Sharing. When I was satisfied with the settings, I did
    > some testing with another computer connected directly by a crossover
    > cable. My security "tightening" introduced a big hole instead.
    > Toggling Simple File Sharing seems to produce very different effects
    > now.
    >
    > Simple File Sharing Enabled:
    > - I am no longer able to logon with any Authenticated Users'
    > credentials.
    > - ONLY the guest can successfully logon BUT I can use any username,
    > even just a random sequence of letters as long as I use the Guest
    > password. username:adsfasdf password:**** will work even though there
    > is no account name with asdfasdf.
    > - I looked through the Event Security log and compared the current
    > entries with those before I messed with the settings. Logging on as an
    > authenticated user with SFS enabled used to do a mapping with the Guest
    > account. Now it is impossible to even log on. I get a bad username or
    > password error.
    >
    > Simple File Sharing Disabled:
    > - I AM able to logon with any Authenticated Users' credentials.
    > - Any username other than authenticated user with the guest password is
    > also valid
    >
    > Disabling the Guest account does work at removing the any username can
    > logon problem. But I was hoping I could fix it so the authenticated
    > users could map to the guest account the way they used to. I have
    > since looked through the settings of another XP machine and changed the
    > settings back, but still no success in reverting back to its previous
    > behavior. I have gone through a lot of searches but the following post
    > was the closest in description, but his solution the way I understand
    > it, does not fix my problem.
    > http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-248515.php
    >
    > If anyone has any suggestions/solutions that I can try at this point,
    > it will be much appreciated
    >

    > --
    > ianmoone314Posted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

File Sharing Windows XP