Lost souind and no access to sound properties

I'm posting this message for a friend. Her sound was working fine but
after
installing AOL Dial up she lost her sound. After going to
start/control
panel/ sounds audio devices/ then on to sounds audio properties. All
boxes
are blanked out and unable to be clicked to change the settings. One
the
property tab where it tells you the manufacture of the sound it says no
Audio
Device and when clicking on advanced it tell you that there is no
mixer.
Even after a system restore and uninstalling the driver and
reinstalling it.
It doesnt seem to help.
The onboard sound manufacturer is Silicon Integrated Systems and it
needs a " SiS7018 Audio driver"
But it doesnt seem to work after installing either an older driver or
the new one. You just cant access the properties to change settings
Does anyone know what has happened. It completely baffles me.

--
jaque
1 answer Last reply

    On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 10:19:18 +0000, jaque <jaque.1rwh1o@pcbanter.net>
    wrote:

    >I'm posting this message for a friend. Her sound was working fine but
    >after
    >installing AOL Dial up she lost her sound. After going to
    >start/control
    >panel/ sounds audio devices/ then on to sounds audio properties. All
    >boxes
    >are blanked out and unable to be clicked to change the settings. One
    >the
    >property tab where it tells you the manufacture of the sound it says no
    >Audio
    >Device and when clicking on advanced it tell you that there is no
    >mixer.
    >Even after a system restore and uninstalling the driver and
    >reinstalling it.
    >It doesnt seem to help.
    >The onboard sound manufacturer is Silicon Integrated Systems and it
    >needs a " SiS7018 Audio driver"
    >But it doesnt seem to work after installing either an older driver or
    >the new one. You just cant access the properties to change settings
    >Does anyone know what has happened. It completely baffles me.

    Did you also uninstall AOL, which actually may have caused the problem
    in the first place? Some of the motherboards I use for my business have
    the SiS7018 audio chip. For the most part I've had no problems
    whatsoever with that chip, but there have been a couple of instances
    where customers reported no sound - no mixer, and one I'm sure happened
    after they loaded AOL. In both cases though, I had the customer reload
    ALL drivers from the original driver CD that came with the motherboard,
    which fixed the problem.. Good luck..

    Jack C.

Audio Dial Up Connection Windows XP