Dear All

Could any of you please give some thoughts on the following

I have a Compaq Presario R3000 Laptop running XP Home Edition

Last week the machine started to have a problem at start up where I only got
a black screen when switching on

After a couple of minutes I hit the F1 key which then initiated the boot up
sequence. It is still the same up till now, the boot up only commences on
hitting the F1 key even if I leave it for a couple of minutes after
switching on.

I can still catch the entry into the Bios using F10 if I am very quick at
the black screen switch on, I have looked at the boot sequence in the Bios
and it looks OK to me.

Norton is confirming the machine is virus free.

Any ideas / suggestions please

Regards
Pat

Patrick,
What is the boot sequence? It should be; floppy (if you have one) HDD,
then CD, in that order.
What's your bios version?
The Compaq Presario R3000 is made with both Intel & AMD CPU's, the bios
is different for both.
Here's a search result I found;
'Product finder results' (http://tinyurl.com/7peo6)
You should be able to go from here.