Asus7700 Deluxe - drivers render card unusable

Diemos

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I just got my 7700 deluxe the other day and am having severe probs with this card. After setting the display driver to standard pci vga I rmoved my trusty old Viper ultra and slapped in the Asus. Boot up went fine, all looked well. I go to the driver setup and install the drivers and the GART from the disk and reboot when prompted. The reboot appears to be goin well when all of a sudden the progress bar stops. I check my led and see that Spindows is still loading! Next thing I know lightening is crashing and I'm still looking at what appears to be a frozen boot screen. What the he#$ !!! I restart and this time intead of the haunted loading screen I get a severly corrupted display, vertical green lines and blue waves with snow everywhere. After swapping back to the viper and resetting standard display I try it again, same deal. Ths is drivin me nuts and I cant sleep at night, please help.
CONFIG-
Win98SE plus
Asus a7v
tbird 700
256meg micron (2*128)
KDS VS-195e
SB Live! retail
wd 20 gig
Logitech Wingman strike force 3d (usb)

Ive tried everything from goin bare bones to dumb down the bios, nothing changes. BTW, can I use nvidia drivers (who knows, they might work) with the tv-in/out or do I have to use the asus drivers? Please, anybody. I'll even take some advice from Big Bill (Gates that is :}) himself, I'm that desperate!!!!! Thanx in advance for any help, laterz.

Hobbit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Call their tech support and ask for help. Seems to me you have a defective card. If nothing else fails pray for 3DFX to be reincarnated becuase they had the best drivers in the graphics card industry.

"A masochist walked up to a sadist, and said 'Hurt me'. The sadist said 'No' and walked away."

G

3dfx had the best driver support in the graphics industry?
Really? I don't think I ever heard anyone say that before.
Anyway...

In case you were wondering, many -- probably most -- people use the nVidia reference drivers. In case the 'official' one doesn't work for you, there are a number of alternate versions floating around on the web. Wasn't completely sure I understood part of your post. Does it error only in 3d or 2d as well? Is your old card doing the same thing when you re-install it and its drivers? Have you tried re-loading the via 4-in-1's?

Tom Mc

Even a fool, when he remains silent, appears wise.

G

Have you changed any of the settings in the BIOS that could effect this? If you don't know than go into the BIOS and load the defaults and only change what you need to boot normally. Also, while you are in the Standard VGA Adaptor setting, re-install the VIA drivers and reboot before attempting to install the NVidia drivers. I do believe the NVidia reference drivers allow for TV out if the card is equipped.

Hobbit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I assume the second half of your post was meant for Diemos because it doesnt apply to me. If you have not heard laudable comments about 3DFX drivers before it is most likely because you have not had the pleasure of personally owning as many of thier cards as I have. I guess your just making dispute with my high praise of 3DFX. We all have our opinions. Your advice to deimos in your second post is worth a shot however if he get garbled graphics (not sure if he does or not from his post) at the initial boot screen then his graphics card is bad. He should be able to read his system specs fine before booting into his OS.

"A masochist walked up to a sadist, and said 'Hurt me'. The sadist said 'No' and walked away."

Diemos

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanx for the suggestions, and I'm sorry if I made things unclear. On the first reboot after installing the "ASUS" drivers, the win98 loading screen ( you know, with the fluffy clouds and the big "windows98 plus" text with the little blue bar that moves across the bottom) would freeze, but the comp would still boot into Windows. I even heard the thunder clap from the SB Live. The only problem was that all I could see was the frozen loading screen. It was wierd, real wierd. When I restarted the loading screen wouldn't freeze but the display was corrupted atrociously. When I reinstalled the old Viper it worked fine. All in all, I was so pissed off that I installed Win2000 Pro and everything was peachy as far as video is concerned. Now I can't use my SB Live mixer and some of the other creative sond tools, but the speakers work great so I guess I'll live with it until by some miracle Aureal is resurrected. But thats for another forum. Anyways, thanx again for the suggestions. Oh yea, hobbit's right on about 3dfx drivers. I remember when I got my v3 3000 and instantly fell in love with the ease of use. No hiccups or crap like that. It even applies to the new v4 and v5. They may not have kept up with the nvidia boards, but atleast they worked with everything. OK, I'll stop babbling and let ya'll get on with your babbling, laterz and thanx again.

Hobbit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Your SBLive card should work perfectly with win2k. Goto creativelabs website and download the newest drivers and if you already have them and have uninstalled and reinstalled and that didnt solve the problem try moving the card to a different pci slot. Just recently I personally helped with x-gamer sblive 5.1 on two systems which simply required a switch to a different pci slot to get them working perfectly. Check your device manager and see if there is something amiss with your sound card their.

People who bite the hand that feeds them usually lick the boot that kicks them.

Diemos

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanx for the tip hobbit. I remember seeing it elsewhere aswell now that you said it. Iswitched slots and am reinstalling as I write this ( I'm on another machine). Thanx for the quick reply, Safe Journey.

Sorry, that was a no go. I recieve the following error, "DevCon32.dll not loaded, make sure it is in the proper file" Ehh? Which file, where is the dll, windrivers maybe? Hate to bug you but this bugs me. Thanx in advance.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Diemos on 01/15/01 04:49 AM.</EM></FONT></P>