Network resource not accessible

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp (More info?)

I have my desktop and a laptop connected to my ADSL router.

Drive C and Drive D (both on the same physical drive in the desktop) are
accessible from the laptop as are folders, sub-folders and files.

Drive G (named 'Backup' and recently re-formatted) is a second physical
drive and can be seen from the laptop as '\\computername\backup (g)'. If
I click on it in My Network Places the laptop will display the root
directory which is shared and is set to allow other computer users to
modify files.

However, if I try to open a folder (also shared in an effort to get
access), or try to copy a file, I get an error window to the effect that
the folder/file is not accessible and I 'might not have permission to
use the network resource. Contact the administrator' etc.etc. 'Access is
denied'.

In the past I have been able to access the drive and copy files
backwards and forwards. Obviously something has changed: anyone able to
help?

TIA.

On 09/07/2005 15:04 F wrote:

> I have my desktop and a laptop connected to my ADSL router.
>
> Drive C and Drive D (both on the same physical drive in the desktop) are
> accessible from the laptop as are folders, sub-folders and files.
>
> Drive G (named 'Backup' and recently re-formatted) is a second physical
> drive and can be seen from the laptop as '\\computername\backup (g)'. If
> I click on it in My Network Places the laptop will display the root
> directory which is shared and is set to allow other computer users to
> modify files.
>
> However, if I try to open a folder (also shared in an effort to get
> access), or try to copy a file, I get an error window to the effect that
> the folder/file is not accessible and I 'might not have permission to
> use the network resource. Contact the administrator' etc.etc. 'Access is
> denied'.
>
> In the past I have been able to access the drive and copy files
> backwards and forwards. Obviously something has changed: anyone able to
> help?
>
> TIA.

Update:
If I create a new folder it is accessible...

Weird.