Network resource not accessible

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp (More info?)

I have my desktop and a laptop connected to my ADSL router.

Drive C and Drive D (both on the same physical drive in the desktop) are
accessible from the laptop as are folders, sub-folders and files.

Drive G (named 'Backup' and recently re-formatted) is a second physical
drive and can be seen from the laptop as '\\computername\backup (g)'. If
I click on it in My Network Places the laptop will display the root
directory which is shared and is set to allow other computer users to
modify files.

However, if I try to open a folder (also shared in an effort to get
access), or try to copy a file, I get an error window to the effect that
the folder/file is not accessible and I 'might not have permission to
use the network resource. Contact the administrator' etc.etc. 'Access is
denied'.

In the past I have been able to access the drive and copy files
backwards and forwards. Obviously something has changed: anyone able to
help?

TIA.

More about network resource accessible
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp (More info?)

    On 09/07/2005 15:04 F wrote:

    > I have my desktop and a laptop connected to my ADSL router.
    >
    > Drive C and Drive D (both on the same physical drive in the desktop) are
    > accessible from the laptop as are folders, sub-folders and files.
    >
    > Drive G (named 'Backup' and recently re-formatted) is a second physical
    > drive and can be seen from the laptop as '\\computername\backup (g)'. If
    > I click on it in My Network Places the laptop will display the root
    > directory which is shared and is set to allow other computer users to
    > modify files.
    >
    > However, if I try to open a folder (also shared in an effort to get
    > access), or try to copy a file, I get an error window to the effect that
    > the folder/file is not accessible and I 'might not have permission to
    > use the network resource. Contact the administrator' etc.etc. 'Access is
    > denied'.
    >
    > In the past I have been able to access the drive and copy files
    > backwards and forwards. Obviously something has changed: anyone able to
    > help?
    >
    > TIA.

    Update:
    If I create a new folder it is accessible...

    Weird.

Laptops Microsoft Windows XP