Headlines won't update - does not detect connection?

Is there a fix out there for help and support headlines update not working?

Internet connection is detected correctly for searching in Help and Support,
but never with "did you know?" headlines area. It returns message to "run
new connection wizard".

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi Shultz,

This is an unresolved problem AFAIK, which is discussed many times in the
past. I think this problem is server-side in most cases. Other possibilities
include third-party download managers such as Getright, broadband
connection, firewall/proxy blocking Helpsvc.exe from accessing the net etc.

Here is another note from frodo:

<quote>

Ramesh,

I've researched this too, and here's what I see:

1) I'm dialup; xp pro english

2) if you open H&S and click Home it'll refetch the news files,
Newsver.xml, which points to newsblock1.xml and newsblock2.xml.

3) newsvers.xml comes down fine, gets processed, and the other two are
fetched.

4) however, they come down empty (zero length). If you look in the
temp-internet-files folder using explorer (which is a filtered view made
by processing index.dat) the files simply are not there. If you look at
that folder branch w/ a standard file tool (like ztree) the file's
directory entries are there, but with zero length.

5) if you place the url to either newsblock.xml file into ie and press go
it'll display just fine (weird!); you can clearly read the DYK headlines
in the xml text. And both newblock.xml files show up in the cache now,
non-zero length, using either viewer. The xml looks just fine to me, tho
I didn't try to parse it through anything.

6) now repeat step 2: return to H&S, click Home again, and poof, the
cached files are gone, again replaced w/ zero length items (exactly like 4
above).

------------------------

So, something is doing some sort of filtering of those xml files.

At one point Zone Alarm was implicated. I was once (just once) able to
get DYKnow to update by clearing H&S Center and H&S Service from ZA's list
of "allowed applications", and clicking H&S Home, forcing ZA to reprompt
for permission. Clicked Ok and voilia, DYK updated! But I've never been
able to reproduce that again! If you shutdown ZA totally (not recommended
for long of course), it still does not update; so it's not some explicit
action of ZA, tho that doesn't rule out some unintended interaction.

So, who/what does XML filtering on the system? IE security-related code?

BTW, I _DO_ have the IE Local Computer Zone enabled, and I did relax
those zone settings after SP2 tightened them up. I tried fussing w/ them
but found no solution.

</quote>

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP