I have posted before and have not stated my problem clearly here goes again
I am running a gigabyte 7n400 pro board athalon xp 2800
dual channel 512 mem
I went into the bios and selected "load optimal defaults" and the macine
would not reboot, and kept going back to the screen which asks options on how
to start windows. No matter what option I select it continues to reboot. One
time a screen came up stating that I was missing setupdd.sys , a file. I read
up on this and began to swap out memory and remove all pci cards, all this to
no avail.
I also tryed to load "fail safe options" in the bios and still get the
reboot every time.
Some one suggested running windows repair which I have tryed and when I get
to that point it asks me to insert the floppy into drive A.
I do not have a floppy, so in talking to comp usa I was told that since I
have a
"upgrade" of windows Xp Pro the repair option may not be on the disk. But on
the full version (he has it) the repair is there. Dont know if this is true
or not. Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this. I have tryed all
logical fixes, and have not been able to run repair as everytime I do it asks
for the repair floppy.
This in not recovery consloe either, I tryed that with chkdsk and was told
that an unrecoverable file was missing. I for marital reasons do not want to
do a new install as all data would be lost, yep no backups
thanks for any help

Do a chkdsk /r

Let me know if that helps.

--
Nocturnal

http://www.spywaretalk.org

"Xrepo John Fiorelli" <XrepoJohnFiorelli@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:2928C9A1-7707-4621-B1CE-6E397AC7C0D0@microsoft.com...
>I have posted before and have not stated my problem clearly here goes again
> I am running a gigabyte 7n400 pro board athalon xp 2800
> dual channel 512 mem
> I went into the bios and selected "load optimal defaults" and the macine
> would not reboot, and kept going back to the screen which asks options on
> how
> to start windows. No matter what option I select it continues to reboot.
> One
> time a screen came up stating that I was missing setupdd.sys , a file. I
> read
> up on this and began to swap out memory and remove all pci cards, all this
> no avail.
> I also tryed to load "fail safe options" in the bios and still get the
> reboot every time.
> Some one suggested running windows repair which I have tryed and when I
> get
> to that point it asks me to insert the floppy into drive A.
> I do not have a floppy, so in talking to comp usa I was told that since I
> have a
> "upgrade" of windows Xp Pro the repair option may not be on the disk. But
> on
> the full version (he has it) the repair is there. Dont know if this is
> true
> or not. Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this. I have tryed all
> logical fixes, and have not been able to run repair as everytime I do it
> asks
> for the repair floppy.
> This in not recovery consloe either, I tryed that with chkdsk and was told
> that an unrecoverable file was missing. I for marital reasons do not want
> do a new install as all data would be lost, yep no backups
> thanks for any help

I think most of the facts I'll present are valid, I say most because I'm
digging back in memory - any way here goes : XP Pro provides for ASR
(Automated System Recovery) utilizing Pros backup utility - when you do so a
floppy disk with certain files is created. When you try recovery by using
the first "repair" option presented by using the XP CD - the default
behavior is assumption you have created an ASR backup and are being asked to
insert the ASR floppy.
Solution - insert the XP CD but do not select the first "repair" option -
con continue as with setup - you will be notified that setup has found a
Windows installation and will list it - and ask if you want to repair the
installation or proceed with a clean install. If setup does not indicate it
has found a Windows installation? Big trouble!!
AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
Myers, FL

Xrepo John Fiorelli wrote:
> I have posted before and have not stated my problem clearly here goes again
> I am running a gigabyte 7n400 pro board athalon xp 2800
> dual channel 512 mem
> I went into the bios and selected "load optimal defaults" and the macine
> would not reboot, and kept going back to the screen which asks options on how
> to start windows. No matter what option I select it continues to reboot. One
> time a screen came up stating that I was missing setupdd.sys , a file. I read
> up on this and began to swap out memory and remove all pci cards, all this to
> no avail.
> I also tryed to load "fail safe options" in the bios and still get the
> reboot every time.
> Some one suggested running windows repair which I have tryed and when I get
> to that point it asks me to insert the floppy into drive A.
> I do not have a floppy, so in talking to comp usa I was told that since I
> have a
> "upgrade" of windows Xp Pro the repair option may not be on the disk. But on
> the full version (he has it) the repair is there. Dont know if this is true
> or not. Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this. I have tryed all
> logical fixes, and have not been able to run repair as everytime I do it asks
> for the repair floppy.
> This in not recovery consloe either, I tryed that with chkdsk and was told
> that an unrecoverable file was missing. I for marital reasons do not want to
> do a new install as all data would be lost, yep no backups
> thanks for any help
Your HDD is problematic, or some BIOS settings considering IDE... Best
thing is to run scandisk on some other PC and try to fix the error (if
it exists).

BTW- e.g. CompUSA info- Only difference between XP Pro upgrade and XP Pro
full version is as follows:

XP Pro upgrade CD contains the following sub-folders in the I386 folder:
WIN9XMIG, WIN9XUPG AND WINNTUPG.
XP Pro full version CD does not - all other XP files are identical in both
versions. You can copy a full version XP to a folder on the HD - from an
upgrade CD copy the above folders to the I386 sub-folder on the HD.- copy
the files to a CD and you now have an "upgrade" XP CD - or you can run
setup from the HD folder. Obverse is possible - create XP full from XP
upgrade CD.