Could I...?

If I bought a used Nokia 6590i (garage sales, pawn shops) and popped in
my Fido SIM card from my Nokia 5190, would it work (as long as the
6590i was either unlocked or previously with Fido)?

I have $60 banked with Fido's pay-as-you-go and would hate to lose it.
My 5190 now drops calls all the time in Ottawa since Rogers took over
and I'd rather try to find a used 6590i than start from scratch with
another company and fork out money for a new phone.

Thanks for any advice.
Cheers,
Deek
3 answers Last reply
More about could

    deek1990@yahoo.com wrote:

    > If I bought a used Nokia 6590i (garage sales, pawn shops) and popped in
    > my Fido SIM card from my Nokia 5190, would it work (as long as the
    > 6590i was either unlocked or previously with Fido)?

    Yes. Before you pay for the phone, insist on inserting your sim card in it and
    turn it on. You would know veryt quickly if it accepst your FIDO sim card or
    not. If it does not accept the sim card, then the phone will be useless to you
    (locked to something else).

    On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 08:50:23 -0700, deek1990 wrote:

    > If I bought a used Nokia 6590i (garage sales, pawn shops) and popped in my
    > Fido SIM card from my Nokia 5190, would it work (as long as the 6590i was
    > either unlocked or previously with Fido)?

    Yes, as long as it wasn't reported stolen and blacklisted, or the original
    account owner who bought that phone doesn't owe a bunch of money to Fido.
    Since you mention "pawn shop" either is quite likely.

    I'd simply bring the SIM along and test it out before buying it, if you
    can make a call alls well. TTYL

    deek1990@yahoo.com wrote:
    > If I bought a used Nokia 6590i (garage sales, pawn shops) and popped in
    > my Fido SIM card from my Nokia 5190, would it work (as long as the
    > 6590i was either unlocked or previously with Fido)?
    >
    > I have $60 banked with Fido's pay-as-you-go and would hate to lose it.
    > My 5190 now drops calls all the time in Ottawa since Rogers took over
    > and I'd rather try to find a used 6590i than start from scratch with
    > another company and fork out money for a new phone.
    >
    > Thanks for any advice.
    > Cheers,
    > Deek

    Aside from Mr JFM's and Mr repatch's suggestions, another thing to
    consider when buying a new phone is the bands it can use. Right now,
    all Fido subscribers are allowed to roam on Rogers network for free as
    long as the subscribers are within the original Fido digital footprint.
    Rogers has both 850 and 1900 bands while Fido has 1900 only. If you
    will get yourself a phone that works on 850 and 1900 bands, you'll be
    able to enjoy not only the old 1900 Fido band but also both Roger's 850
    and 1900 bands. This means that you'll get better coverate while inside
    Fido's digital footprint.

    I'm not sure if N6590i has 850...

Fido Nokia Internet Service Providers