GeForce or Radeon? Help

G

Hello all,

I am purchasing a new video card, upgrading from a Voodoo3 3000. Which should I get between these two? A GeForce MX2 32 Meg SDRAM( Asus V7100 ) or a Radeon 32 Meg DDR card? Please be alittle unbiases as I know how we all tend to be partial in our suggestions on here. Here's my current specs.

P-III 700
256 MB RAM
Asus CuSL2c Mainboard
Voodoo3 3000
Windows 2000 Pro

G

The Radeon should be a little faster, but is it worth the extra money? Your call. If you run your games thru win2k then driver issues may be important. nVidia has the clear edge in that department.

When faced with these kinds of decisions we have to take a little time to ask ourselves this question:

Where do I want to be in two upgrades?

Tom Mc

Even a fool, when he remains silent, appears wise.

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
go for radeon in win98 , nt4 , and WIN ME

go for Geforce MX in Linux , WIN 2k

Cel 533 - 256mb sdram
15gb HD - ati radeon 32mb ddr (200/200)
SB live! mp3+ - win98 Beos

G

also, go for Radeon if you want better image quality, plan to watch DVD, or use 32-bit color (unless using Linux or Win2K of course). Another consideration is that MS Whistler is coming out this summer and if you plan on upgrading to that then you will probably want a GeForce. Radeon drivers for the Win2k kernal are horrible.

I would suggest waiting a little bit for the Geforce 3 and Radeon 2 to come out. Even if you weren't to buy one of those, they will cut down the prices of the current generation.

G

If you were making a decision now, get the NVidia based boards. The prices are falling now on the top boards. The ATI products are good, but suffer from bad driver support and bugs causing instability. Everyone is turning to ATi's BETA drivers to get the little support they can, but NVidia based cards have much higher success rates.

Hobbit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
To help you make your decision...

ATI FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE

Epiphanic Lucidity

Read what I have to say and make your own decision.

I will never buy another ATI product. ATI consistently provides drivers that suck. The new ATI Radeons suck… the drivers don’t work for scat on win2k. Driver updates are non-existent as in the past. They have no toll free tech support, so when you get it and it doesn’t work right you’re in for a long wait before it does. Their new Radeon cards ship with win2k drivers, which don’t work properly. If you want to feel scat on buy Radeon.

NOTE: I bought two of the ATI AIW Radeon cards for two systems both identical accept in the amount of ram and a few different peripherals. Neither card worked on either system properly. Don’t believe me take a look around people, are starting to figure it out for themselves. Some people will say I should stop complaining and switch to a different operating system like win98SE. Those same people are enabling ATI to get away with this crap. No I never tested with win98SE or WinME because that was not my OS and I am not going to switch to a different OS for ATI, lol that is so funny especially when the ATI AIW Radeon ships with win2k full release drivers. Anyone who says you should switch OS’s to make the card work is just plain out to lunch.

"I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year's fashions." - Lillian Hellman

System Specs:

Win2kPro
Enlight 7230 Case
Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro
Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer
Everglide Giganta (Black)
Golden Orb H/S & Fan
Asus CUSL2
3DFX V5 5500 AGP
3DFX V3 2K PCI
ViewSonic P815 Professional Series 21 Monitor”
HP A4033A 20” Monitor
Blackout Buster 500VA
P3 700 I don’t o/c it but it will do 933 fine and post at 1GHZ.
Kodak DC280 Zoom
VideoBlaster Webcam 3
320MB SDRAM PC133 Cas2 Infineon
Epson Stylus 900
Epson Perfection 1200S
SBLive Platinum 5.1
2 Maxtor 45GB AT100 7200
Adaptec 2930 SCSI Controller
Maxtor AT100 Controller
Toshiba 8x DVD
Plextor Plexwriter External 8/20
Klipsch ProMedia v.2-400
Linksys 10/100 Ethernet Card
Linksys 10/100 Hub

Previously Owned two V3 3500TV’s which didn’t support Win2k initially but has supported it for well over half a year now and EVERYTHING worked even with the beta drivers, unlike ATI which released their newer card with Win2k drivers which don’t work with 70% of the card properly.

I wish I still had a copy of the long and detailed report I typed out to them concerning the problems with their card, but I formatted my HD and started from scratch anticipating this suggestion after initial trouble shooting efforts failed.
Note: Isn’t it irksome that the common panacea for computer problems these days is the all to often suggestion/demand that you reformat your HD and start from scratch to try to solve problems with a new piece of hardware. I find that this policy is absolutely unacceptable and is abused in the computer industry, which relies on it to make their hardware work rather than hiring more knowledgeable help, which could save the customer much time and wasted effort. Do you think they tell Bill Gates he has to reformat his PC? “”This “screw the consumer’s time, it’s not costing us anything” attitude appears to exist across the entire spectrum of new technology industries.”” (Worth magazine Jan 2001, by Eric Alterman. Excerpt from his article below)
In the phone calls to them (which the customer pays for) they could not help me but were interested in my errors as some had already been reported and some were new to them and some helped them figure out more in detail why certain errors would occur. They encouraged a detailed write up. I did them a favor at my own expense and time and then they replied with we will only fix problems reported to a significant degree… Only if customers complain enough will they bother fixing a problem. What a joke. In other words they know of problems but are not fixing them until their customers really start complaining in droves.
Under win2k these are the problems I encountered. All games I tried using OpenGL which is “fully”supported by ATI “Full OpenGL® and Microsoft® DirectX® support.” of which I probably own 40 have graphics that look like [-peep-] and are too dark which cannot be fixed without second hand programs or special tweaking instructions/editing of CFG files etc... (3DFX had a Gamma slider allowing you to brighten or darken Direct 3d or OpenGL games independently besides the desktop quickly solving this problem. Direct3d, which works on some games, looks like crap on some (examples: Diablo 2, Quake one) and good on others… Compare Diablo 2 using OpenGL with a voodoo card versus Radeon Direct3d ((pixilated and snowy), (Radeon fails if you try OpenGL). TV looks good but the downloading of the TV schedule fails half the time. TV out onscreen ATI software controls for turning the TV on and off do not work at all. When you plug in your Svideo your automatically outputting your pc signal to your TV and cannot switch it on and off like you’re supposed to be able to on your pc, instead you have to reboot!, but there is more… Furthermore once you view your pc on you TV your graphics no longer fit your pc monitor screen and you end up using your mouse to scroll to areas on the peripheral of your pc monitor you cant see any longer unless you scroll there. This problem is terrible since you cannot use the controls that come with the card to switch back to using the monitor as the screen properly. What happens is that you get stuck with this scrolling problem and it doesn’t go away even when you reboot. The only way I found to fix it is to completely uninstall the drivers and then reinstall them and then set the monitor resolution low to like 640x480 and then reset it back up to whatever you want. You see upon rebooting and reinstalling the drivers the problem is still there but now if you change the resolution down to 640x480 and then back up to whatever you want it set things back to normal. This is very time consuming process. ATI never even replied to this particular problem. DVD playback, which is hardware driven stutters! This I couldn’t believe and was the last straw because I thought that at least worked when I first watched the beginning of the Matrix for about 30 seconds to see if it was working. Later I go to show a friend and it is stuttering as we watch it for a few minutes. Mpeg4 playback fails! ATI was aware of the Mpeg4 playback failures but has not fixed this problem yet! This card is a nightmare folks! I have forgotten much of what I wrote them detailing errors received and better descriptions of the problems but this should be enough to explain what a piece of crap ATI is foisting. Foisting (Webster): “To give somebody something inferior: to give somebody something inferior on the pretence that it is genuine, valuable, or desirable.” A good synonym for foisting would be FRAUD.
After spending about four hours total on the phone with them and getting them all the information they wanted I get no reassurances. All I get is hopefully we will have an answer to some of these problems in the future. Blah Blah Blah. Month goes by and no driver updates that fix the milieu of problems. Many people have posted on Tomshardware in the past as to the untrustworthy nature of ATI concerning drivers and their inability to act quickly to fix driver problems. I now know what they were talking about first hand. Don’t make the same mistake. How can you purchase a card that ships with Win2k drivers today and have it not work in everything properly accept TV in? When it takes half a year to fix all the problems on such a product why bother buying it since by that time the card will be selling for less than half what you paid for it and will be half as fast as newer cards on the market. ATI may fall just like 3DFX but for poor drivers and poor support, not speed, if they continue with this irresponsible behavior.
On Mature Drivers: Gee the drivers are not "mature," that must be the problem, lol. You know what a "mature" driver is; a euphemism originally meaning buggy or "dfw - don't coitus work" fed to the public to convince us we are stupid and should not expect the drivers that come with our hardware to work properly and we should just shut up and wait a few months and longer and maybe they will work with some newer beta drivers and by that time the cards outdated and a very poor investment for what you got out of it.

An email I retained sent to ATI in response to a customer support reply that was more useless than the long distance phone support.

Thank you very much for you're very kind reply... I find the information I have provided your company with at my expense much more valuable to you than the information you have provided me. Reiteration of solutions I have already tried does neither of us any good. I have returned both cards to the original retailer. In the future please refrain from releasing unfinished products. I and other customers regard such actions as unlawful. I can no longer recommend your products due to poor driver performance under win2k (I have not tested any other OS nor do I wish to do so as your product ships with supposed perfect win2k drivers), which I have tested extensively. The long list of problems with your drivers is tiresome. DVD play, which I previously thought, worked perfectly stutters randomly. In the future please don't rely on your customer base to solve your problems for you because in the end you lose valuable promotional commentary along with a good customer. No need to reply I just thought you should know how thoroughly disgusted I am with your product and your company.

Interesting Article in Worth magazine Jan 2001, by Eric Alterman, which reflects how many of us feel…

“”This “screw the consumer’s time, it’s not costing us anything” attitude appears to exist across the entire spectrum of new technology industries. I bought a scanner from UMAX that has never worked. There’s nobody at the other end to help, at least nobody I had the patience to find. The ugly thing has been sitting on my desk, unused, for two years. and have you tried to hook up a DSL line recently” I have, and I had to give up on that, too. It turned out Verizon, the new beast created out of Bell Atlantic’s merger with just about everybody else, had not yet come up with a modem compatible with Windows Me, though apparently it neglected to mention that to the person on the phone who was all to willing to take an order and let the caller waste hours trying to make the damn thing work. Chris Taylor of Time recently wrote of spending almost six months stuck inside a similar nightmare courtesy of Pacific Bell, which given its location, really ought to know better. The truth was that the company did not even offer the service, called D-Slam, that it had promised him, as it had run out of the hardware, but it continued to advertise it because, a rep admitted, their “competitors haven’t stopped advertising yet: The worst of it is that the entire time you are wasting away on hold, watching your fingernails grow, the company brags about its new and improved service menu.
This whole sector of the economy feels like the Soviet Union: Long waiting lines, no service, contempt for the consumer, products that don’t work when shipped, but somebody with the power to create a little trouble for the big boys arrives, and everybody starts jumping. Of course, the obvious differences are that innovation barely existed in Soviet industries, while the computer manufacturers are just about the most innovative people of all time. But the net result turns out to be more suffering for the rest of us.””

You jg38141 said: "What's with all the w2k people and their radeons? Radeons often have trouble on w2k because their drivers aren't mature. That's it. Almost every post with ATI problems is w2k related."

Gee what is with us? Hmm we all purchased a card that shipped with win2k drivers that is what is with us! We expected them to work. WTF is wrong with us expecting them to work? Gee the drivers are not "mature," that must be the problem, lol. You know what a "mature" driver is; a euphemism originally meaning buggy or "dfw - don't coitus work" fed to the public to convince us we are stupid and should not expect the drivers that come with our hardware to work properly and we should just shut up and wait a few months and longer and maybe they will work with some newer beta drivers and by that time the card outdated. Hey, just like in the Matrix which we both like and you quote, in every post, I feel like the public is being deluded. The following quote from The Matrix explains it, just substitute Matrix with ATI. "The Matrix is a system Neo that system is our enemy, when your inside you look around what do you see? Businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters, and the very minds of the people we are trying to save but until we do these people are still apart of that system and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. and many of them are so inert so hopelessly dependent on the system that they will fight to protect it. Were you listening to me Neo or were you looking at the woman in the red dress.

You jg38141 are fighting to protect it.

Jg38141: Just call me Agent Smith.

Hobbit: LOL, I believe I have finally shut you up. Can’t take your own crap hahaha. Well, now just call me Neo then. I think I will copy and paste our little conversation here into my main ATI post, so everyone can see how I verbally spanked you.

People who bite the hand that feeds them usually lick the boot that kicks them.

G

Ok Hobbit, I am sick and tired of seeing your extra long babble on your "situation". I posted a question in this forum a few days ago and you told me to send my ATI 64mb DDR VIVO back. well I would like to inform you that i didnt and i now have the card working PERFECTLY. All i needed to do was install webtv for windows and i can capture video. My gaming specs are fine, i added in powerstrip 3.0 and was able to overclock the card a bit and it responded with a 1000 point gain on the 3dmark test.

You are using win 2000, I admit i am using win ME, but you need to ask yourself a question, what are your needs? you want a gaming machine? then why use windows 2000? its NT5 realy and NT has never been a great supporter for gaming. every review in the gaming magazines i have read have recomended to stay away from win 2000 if you plan on playing games mostly.

I have also seem several posts in here from other folks who have been able to get their ati to work in windows2000. did you try any of their ideas? or are you just looking for pitty? also there is a web site called rage3d.com where all there is is posts on ati cards. there are several people in there that have been able to get the card to work in win2000 as well.

start trying to solve your problem instead of wasting your time cutting and pasting your pitty cry.

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
HOBBIT YOU !! SUCK !! SHUT YOUR MOUTH THE RADEON IS A GOOD CARD. IF YOU KNOW HOW TO USE A COMPUTER. I TWEAKED THE HELL OUT OF MY SYSTEM TO GET GAMES WORKING. WELL GET LINUX OVER WIN2K. LINUX IS MORE STABLE AND PLAYS GAMES VERY GOOD. OR TRY Beos IT ONE OF THE BEST OUT AND FREE!!! HOW ABOUT YOU DUMP WIN2K AND GET ANOTHER OS AND WAIT FOR WIN 2K TO MATURE AFTER 3 OR 4 SERVICE PACKS. SO HOBBIT SHUT YOUR MOUTH

NOTE BUY THE RADEON OVER THE GEFORCE 2MX. ONLY GET THE GEFORCE 2MX IF YOUR USING WIN 2K. I WILL NOT LET HOBBIT WIN.

Cel 533 - 256mb sdram
15gb HD - ati radeon 32mb ddr (200/200)
SB live! mp3+ - win98 Beos

HOBBIT YOU SUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G

hobbit FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE

Exponational Lubercation!

I will never buy another hobbit product. hobbit sucks. The new hobbit suck. The bastard cant type up a new post............ post updates are non-existent as in the past. He has no toll free tech support. His new Hobbitthon post bitches about problems with win2k drivers, which do work properly. If you want to feel scat on listen to hobbit.

NOTE: I bought two of the hobbit for two systems both identical accept in the amount of ram and a few different peripherals. Niether hobbit worked on either system properly. Don’t believe me take a look around people are starting to figure it out for themselves. Some people will say I should stop complaining and switch to a different oper-hobbit-ng system like win98SE. Those same people are enabling hobbit to get away with this crap.

Asus CUSL2 (another board ish)
P3 700 (Not OC) Not necessary really. Can do 933 fine though. Go AMD 1 gightz
320MB SDRAM PC133 Cas2 (try 256)
SBLive Platinum 5.1 (sweet)
2 Maxtor 45GB AT100 7200 (need that much space?)
Maxtor AT100 Controller
Toshiba 8x DVD (I got A DVD Player in my room......)
Plextor Plexwriter 8/20 (HAHAHA!!!!!!!!!! GO HP!)
Linksys 10/100 Ethernet Card (You get what you pay for)

Previously Owned two Peons which didn’t support Win2k initially but has supported it for about half a year now and EVERYTHING worked even with the gimpish drivers, unlike hobbit which released their newer card with Win2k drivers which don’t work with 1% of the card properly.

I wish I still had a copy of the long and detailed report I typed out to him concerning problems with his post. In the phone calls to him (which I paid for) he could not help me but were interested in my errors as some had already been reported and some were new to them and some helped them figure out more in detail why certain errors would occur. he encouraged a detailed write up. I did them a favor at my own expense and time and then he replied with we will only fix problems reported to a significant degree… Only if customers complain enough will they bother fixing problem. What a blasmirc action. In other words they know of problems but are not fixing them until their customers really start complaining in droves.

Under win2k these are the problems I encountered. All games I tried using PEOnGL which is “fully”supported by hobbit “Full PEOnGL® and Microsoft® DirectX® support.” of which I probably own 40 have graphics that look like [-peep-] and are too dark which cannot be fixed without second hand programs or special tweaking instructions/editing of CFG files etc... (3DFX had a Gamma slider allowing you to brighten or darken Direct 3d or PEOnGL games independently besides the desktop quickly solving this problem. IPdin3d, which works on some games, looks like crap on some (examples: Diablo 21, Quake 197) and good on others… Compare Diablo 2 using PEOnGL with a voodoo card versus Hobbitthon IPdin3d ((pixilated and snowy), (Hobbitthon fails if you try PEOnGL). TV looks good but the downloading of the TV schedule fails half the time. TV out onscreen hobbit software controls for turning the TV on and off do not work at all. When you plug in your Svideo your automatically outputting your pc signal to your TV and cannot switch it on and off like you’re supposed to be able to on your pc, instead you have to reboot!, but there is more… FRAUD. I AM A FRAUD! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA /me slaps himself to death

After spending about four hours total editing his peonic long ass biblical post, i get no reassurance. All I get is hopefully we will have an answer to some of these problems in the future. Sheep! Bah Bah Bah. Month goes by and nothing. Many people have posted on Tomshardware And told me to shut up. I should have listened.

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
HOBBIT CRAP PC:

Win2kPro (SUCKS, LINUX IS BETTER)
Enlight 7230 Case (WHO THE HELL CARES
Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro (WOW LIKE I CARE)
Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer (LOOK MOM A LASER BEAM)
Everglide Giganta (WTF IS THAT)
Golden Orb H/S & Fan (TRY A ALPHA COOLER AND FAN)
Asus CUSL2 (OK, NICE BOARD)
3DFX V5 5500 AGP (SUCKS)
3DFX V3 2K PCI (LAST GOOD 3DFX CARD)
ViewSonic P815 Professional Series 21 Monitor” (SO WHAT)
HP A4033A 20” Monitor (2 MONITORS WASTE OF MONEY)
Blackout Buster 500VA (SO WHAT)
P3 700 I don’t o/c it but it will do 933 fine and post at 1GHZ. (IDOIT YOU HAVE A GOLDEN AND DONT OVERCLOCK)
Kodak DC280 Zoom (3 MONTHS IT WILL BE JUNK)
VideoBlaster Webcam 3 (TALKING TO THOSE WOMEN ON THE NET I SEE)
320MB SDRAM PC133 Cas2 Infineon (TRY 256 OR 384MB)
Epson Stylus 900 ( WOW I HAVE A LEXMARK)
Epson Perfection 1200S (ANOTHER WASTE OF MONEY)
SBLive Platinum 5.1 (WOW GUESS WHAT SB LIVE! VALUE 5.1 IS THE SAME CARD)
2 Maxtor 45GB AT100 7200 (NO RAID? MAXTOR SUCKS GET IBM)
Adaptec 2930 SCSI Controller (I GUESS NOT FOR FAST SCSI HARD DRIVES)
Maxtor AT100 Controller (OH NO, NOT MAXTOR)
Toshiba 8x DVD ( I HAVE 12X DVD)
Plextor Plexwriter External 8/20 (WOW I HAVE A 12X10X32 CDRW)
Klipsch ProMedia v.2-400 (CREATIVES LABS OR LABTECH ARE BETTER)
Linksys 10/100 Ethernet Card ( GET 3COM NOT A CHEAP BRAND)
Linksys 10/100 Hub (GET 3COM)

HERE IS MY PC:

WIN 98se, MANDRAKE LINUX 7.2, Beos
ATX DESKTOP CASE (400 WATT POWERSUPPLY)
MICROSOFT INTERNET KEYBOARD PRO
2BUTTON PS/2 MOUSE
GOLDEN ORB CPU FAN
ABIT BP6 (440BX)
ATi RADEON 32MB DDR
- BLUE ORB
- RAM SINKS
- OVER CLOCKED AT 200 / 200
PIXIE 17IN MONITOR
SURGE PROTECHOR (COST $15)
INTEL CELERON 533 (SO TO BE A P3 600 AND I WILL OVERCLOCK IT NOT LIKE HOBBIT WHO HAS NO GUTS)
NO CAMERA ( 35mm IS FINE WITH ME)
NO WEB CAM (I DIDNT TALK TO WOMEN ON THE WEB LIKE THE WAY HOBBIT DOES)
256MB PC100 SDRAM ( I DONT LIE LIKE HOBBIT)
SCANPORT SQ300 (WELL I HAVE A SCANNER AND HOBBIT DOESN'T)
LEXMARK 1100 (I ONLY PRINT B/W, HOBBIT HAS TO PRINT IN HIGH COLOR SO HIS PICTURES LOOK NICE IN THE BATHROOM)
SOUNDBLAST LIVE! MP3+
IBM 15GB ATA66
CREATIVE 12x DVD
12x10x32 CDRW (ITS TOO FAST FOR YOU HOBBIT)
CREATIVE LABS 5.1 SPEAKERS
AOPEN 10/100 ETHERNET CARD
3COM 5 PORT HUB

HOBBIT YOU SUCK!!!!

G

Hey I'm not a newbie, I use Win2K because it has been stable as hell for me and i need to actually use all the RAM i have for the graphics programs that i use. I am a chemical engineer so i use alot of CAD and other graphics programs for web design, etc.. I also like to game, but most of the games that i play work just fine under Win2K. I am just not that familiar on the differences between the Nvidia chipsets and the ATi chipsets. Thanks for all of your help though.

G

Oh yeah, I wish hobbit would stop with the mile long post!!!

Heres my current system.

Asus CUSL2-c Mainboard
P-III 800, sometimes o'clked but hey, whats the need for that?
256MB Pc133 Ram
40 GB WD Hard Disk
blah blah blah, all the other stuff doesnt really matter

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Chem:
we do apologize for getting seriously off topic here... it's one of those issues like Intel vs AMD, no matter how many times we fought over it, as soon as somebody asks we start anew...

anyhoo, if you're into CAD etc, ATI & nVIdia aren't your primary choices... get a Matrox G450, buy two monitors and you're done -- little left to talk about. All my friends who do any amount of CAD or graphics were simply reborn with Matrox and dual-head options... I still have my one lonely 19" monitor on Win2k/WinME dualboot with ATI Radeon AIW, and it works great, but for your particular application I think Matrox & two monitors are simply a MUST! :)
it gives you great picture clarity & quality, and it is STABLE! :)
it won't give you highest possible 3dmarks, but since that's not your primary concern (like it wasn't mine), I think Matrox card will serve you very well:)

Good luck
:smile:

toonces

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
if you want to run in high resolutions with 32 bit color the radeon will perform slightly better.

in all other cases you might want to go with a geforce ddr card rather than a gf2 mx. they'll perform better numbers-wise and the only drawback is that they use a little more power and run a little hotter.

<font color=red>booyah, grandma, booyah..</font color=red>

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've bought ATI cards nearly exclusively since the ATI EGA Wonder (yes EGA - it had 64k of memory) and find that while the actual cards are fine it takes them a bit of time to write new drivers. If you wait long enough they'll come out with good drivers, it's just a question of how much patience you have.

I don't play any of the newer 3D games but my Rage 128 and Rage 128 Pro chips are fine for Starcraft/Diablo/that kind of stuff. I run AutoCAD on my Rage 128 (20" Sony), Rage 128 Pro (19" Viewsonic), and Rage Mobility M1 (14" TFT) and have never had any complaints about CAD stuff.

I've never had any problems installing them or getting them to work on any m/b either. Just plug it in and away you go.

- JW