Setting to force start menu & favorites to list in alphabe..

I read the following in a techie newsletter that I get:

"The tip tells how to "sort Internet Explorer Favorites in one
go", rather than "organizing the IE Favorites menu by right-clicking
an item and selecting Sort by Name.... The problem
with this technique," the tip states, "is that you must repeat it for
each submenu, and that gets kind of dull after a while."
The proposed solution is to edit the key in the Registry
called

Hkey_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Favorites

by deleting the Order value there. I tried it and after
exiting Regedit and starting Internet Explorer, my Favorites get
sorted automatically in alphabetical order, just as I like it. "

Am I missing something? I tried this, but it doesn't seem to work for
me. Every time I re-boot, the order value in the registry key is
back, and items that I add (to either start menu or favorites) are not
sorted in alphabetical order. I previously had a problem with a
corrupted registry key for the Blocked senders list in OE. I'm
wondering if this could be the case here.

I'd really like to get these items to list alphabetically on their
own, without having to do it manually every time I add something. If
anyone can anyone help with this, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Lorraine
``````````````
3 answers Last reply
More about setting force start menu favorites list alphabe

    Thanks for all this wonderful info David - but I forgot to mention
    that I'm using IE6 with all patches and updates. I presume this will
    work for this version?
    --
    Lorraine
    ``````````````

    "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    Well you can't. People like you whinged at MS over this featrure in
    95/NT4 so they gave you what you asked for. This only does classic but
    just modify it. How important is stuff like this. You are lazy.

    IE4's Desktop Update (which is included in Windows 98) added the
    ability to move the order of items on the Start Menu. A consequence of
    this is that there is no longer automatic sorting of the menus. This
    vbs file sorts the menu alphabetically with sub menus at the top.

    IE5's Desktop Update added a Sort by Name to the right click menu for
    every sub menu that sorts only that sub menu.

    These two scripts sorts all sub menus for both IE5's and IE4's Desktop
    Update.

    Notes
    a.. IE5's Desktop Update is installed on every Windows 98 Second
    Edition system.
    b.. IE4's Desktop Update is installed on every Windows 98 system.
    c.. IE5's Desktop Update is installed on every Windows 98 system
    that IE5 is installed.
    d.. IE4's Desktop Update is installed on Windows 95 systems if it
    was chosen when installing IE4.
    e.. IE5's Desktop Update is only installed on Windows 95 systems if
    IE4's Desktop Update was installed before IE4 was installed.
    f.. To move the order of items on a menu click and drag the item to
    where it should be. A black bar will show where it will be.
    g.. To sort a menu with IE5's Desktop Update, right click anywhere
    on the menu to be sorted and choose Sort by Name.
    Sort All Menus.vbs
    Sort All Menus.vbs will prompt to sort

    a.. the Start Menu, the Documents menu, the Programs menu, and its'
    sub menus
    b.. the Favourites menu and it's sub menus
    The first time each of these is run they register their path in the
    registry. The second and subsequent times they are run only the name
    needs to be typed into the Start - Run dialog box. They can be renamed
    without problems.

    Copy the following lines into a New Text Document (use Notepad) and
    name it SortAllMenus.vbs. The name needs to be enclosed in quotation
    marks in notepad else notpad with add a .txt suffix to the name.

    'SortAllMenus.vbs
    'Sorts the Start and Favourites menus.
    '
    'Serenity Macros http://www.angelfire.com/biz/serenitymacros
    'David Candy davidc@sia.net.au
    '
    On Error Resume Next
    vbPara=vbCRLF & vbCRLF
    strExplain="Sort All Menus sorts the Start Menu and the Favourites
    menu." & vbPara & "You will be prompted to sort the Start Menu and all
    its' sub menus then to sort the Favourites menu and all its' sub
    menus." & vbPara & "This is for use with Windows 98, Windows 95 with
    IE4's Desktop Update, Windows 98 upgraded with IE5, or Windows 95 with
    IE4's Desktop Update upgraded with IE5." & vbPara & "Continue?"
    strTitle="Sort All Menus"

    Dim Sh
    Set Sh = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    ReportErrors "Creating Shell"
    Sh.RegWrite "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
    Paths\" & Wscript.ScriptName & "\", Chr(34) & Wscript.ScriptFullName &
    Chr(34)
    Sh.RegWrite "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
    Paths\" & Left(Wscript.ScriptName, Len(Wscript.ScriptName)-3) & "exe"
    & "\", Chr(34) & Wscript.ScriptFullName & Chr(34)
    ReportErrors "Updating App Paths"
    If MsgBox(strExplain ,vbQuestion + vbYesNo , strTitle) =6 then
    If MsgBox("Sort the Start Menu and all its' sub menus?",vbQuestion +
    vbYesNo + vbDefaultButton2, strTitle) =6 then
    Sh.RegDelete
    "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start
    Menu\"
    If Err.number=-2147024894 then err.clear
    ReportErrors "Sorting Start and Programs menu"
    End If
    If MsgBox("Sort the Favourites Menu and all its' sub
    menus?",vbQuestion + vbYesNo + vbDefaultButton2, strTitle) =6 then
    Sh.RegDelete
    "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Favorites\"
    If Err.number=-2147024894 then err.clear
    ReportErrors "Sorting Favourites menu"
    End If
    End If

    ReportErrors "Main"
    VisitSerenity

    Sub ReportErrors(strModuleName)
    If err.number<>0 then Msgbox "An unexpected error occurred. This
    dialog provides details on the error." & vbCRLF & vbCRLF & "Error
    Details " & vbCRLF & vbCRLF & "Script Name" & vbTab &
    Wscript.ScriptFullName & vbCRLF & "Module" & vbtab & vbTab &
    strModuleName & vbCRLF & "Error Number" & vbTab & err.number & vbCRLF
    & "Description" & vbTab & err.description, vbCritical + vbOKOnly,
    "Something unexpected"
    Err.clear
    End Sub

    Sub VisitSerenity
    If MsgBox("This program came from the Serenity Macros Web Site" &
    vbCRLF & vbCRLF & "Would you like to visit Serenity's Web Site now?",
    vbQuestion + vbYesNo + vbDefaultButton2, "Visit Serenity Macros") =6
    Then
    sh.Run "http:\\www.angelfire.com\biz\serenitymacros"
    End If
    End Sub
    Sort Start Menu.vbs
    Sort Start Menu.vbs sorts the Start Menu, Programs menu and its' sub
    menus, Favourites menu and its' sub menus, and the documents menu
    without any prompting. It's for automatically sorting the Start Menu
    and can be used in Task Scheduler or the Startup menu.

    Copy the following lines into a New Text Document (use Notepad) and
    name it SortStartMenuvbs. The name needs to be enclosed in quotation
    marks in notepad else notpad with add a .txt suffix to the name.

    'SortStartMenu.vbs
    'Sorts the Start and Favourites menus without prompting
    '
[...]

    ReportErrors "Sorting Documents menu"
    ReportErrors "Main"

    "Lorraine W" <ltw@?_telus.net> wrote in message
    >I read the following in a techie newsletter that I get:
    >
    > "The tip tells how to "sort Internet Explorer Favorites in one
    > go", rather than "organizing the IE Favorites menu by right-clicking
    > an item and selecting Sort by Name.... The
    > problem
    > with this technique," the tip states, "is that you must repeat it
    > for
    > each submenu, and that gets kind of dull after a while."
    > The proposed solution is to edit the key in the Registry
    > called
    >

    > Hkey_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Favorites
    >
    > by deleting the Order value there. I tried it and after
    > exiting Regedit and starting Internet Explorer, my Favorites get
    > sorted automatically in alphabetical order, just as I like it. "
    >
    > Am I missing something? I tried this, but it doesn't seem to work
    > for
    > me. Every time I re-boot, the order value in the registry key is
    > back, and items that I add (to either start menu or favorites) are
    > not
    > sorted in alphabetical order. I previously had a problem with a
    > corrupted registry key for the Blocked senders list in OE. I'm
    > wondering if this could be the case here.
    >
    > I'd really like to get these items to list alphabetically on their
    > own, without having to do it manually every time I add something.
    > If
    > anyone can anyone help with this, I'd really appreciate it.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Lorraine
    > ``````````````

    You are a user, you need to take collective responsiblity (I'm the only one with a right to apportion blame). Someone is too blame.

    Look and you'll see that it does old start. and favourites. Thise are both in XP.

    These two lines clears Classic Start

    > Sh.RegDelete
    > "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start
    > Menu\"
    > If Err.number=-2147024894 then err.clear

    So Copy them and insert under the existing lines and stick a 2 on the end of the reg key

    "Lorraine W" <ltw@?_telus.net> wrote in message news:OLMb2MOhFHA.1244@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> [...]
    >>
    >> by deleting the Order value there. I tried it and after
    >> exiting Regedit and starting Internet Explorer, my Favorites get
    >> sorted automatically in alphabetical order, just as I like it. "
    >>
    >> Am I missing something? I tried this, but it doesn't seem to work
    >> for
    >> me. Every time I re-boot, the order value in the registry key is
    >> back, and items that I add (to either start menu or favorites) are
    >> not
    >> sorted in alphabetical order. I previously had a problem with a
    >> corrupted registry key for the Blocked senders list in OE. I'm
    >> wondering if this could be the case here.
    >>
    >> I'd really like to get these items to list alphabetically on their
    >> own, without having to do it manually every time I add something.
    >> If
    >> anyone can anyone help with this, I'd really appreciate it.

    Thank you very much for all your help.

    --
    Lorraine
    ``````````````

> [...]

    >> by deleting the Order value there. I tried it and after
    >> exiting Regedit and starting Internet Explorer, my Favorites get
    >> sorted automatically in alphabetical order, just as I like it. "
    >>
    >> Am I missing something? I tried this, but it doesn't seem to work
    >> for
    >> me. Every time I re-boot, the order value in the registry key is
    >> back, and items that I add (to either start menu or favorites) are
    >> not
    >> sorted in alphabetical order. I previously had a problem with a
    >> corrupted registry key for the Blocked senders list in OE. I'm
    >> wondering if this could be the case here.
    >>
    >> I'd really like to get these items to list alphabetically on their
    >> own, without having to do it manually every time I add something.
    >> If
    >> anyone can anyone help with this, I'd really appreciate it.

Internet Explorer Favorites Windows XP