Need advice for a Wireless camera

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Hello everyone,

I'll have a baby in 5 months and I'm looking for a good wireless
camera to see the baby when I'm not in home.

My router is: D-Link DI-624 2.4 GHz AirPlus Xtreme G 108 Mbps

I been looking for different choices like a X10 pack or D-Link
DCS-1000W, but I do not know what other cameras are good.

I'm open to any advice to choose the right camera.

I want a camera that works day and night with a good quality and nice
price :)

Thanks a lot.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

you wont be able to use your 108mbps settings,,, most wifi cams are 802.11
B,, not G so your router will be in mixed mode. That cam doesn't put out
fast motion without lots of bandwidth so your internet upload speeds need to
be more than you probably have. Two frames per sec per 128kbit of upload
,,, is about as good as they get for usable internet .

I have dcs1000 and a trendNet tvip200w that's exactly the same guts
wireless... they both need bright walls/furnishings and good office type
lighting to have a decent picture. Dcs900w handles low light better... yea
I know they're both 2.5 lux. but dcs1000 needs brighter lighting. Dcs 900
is grainy in low light levels and sort of changes to black and white as it
gets darker so you should not expect something you would print or boast
about. But with enough light,,, you can take a peek at what's happening.

Why not splurge on the dlink 1/4 ccd pan tilt model its lower lux, maybe
1 lux ? CCD will give a much gooder pic. I haven't seen it in action.
It's also mpeg so should be less internet bytes. You'd be closer to doing
the job you've described - but you cant go wrong spending the mear pittance
for a dcs900w just to play with - everybody should have at least one of
those things.

"Jakkov" <google@pichara.com> wrote in message
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'll have a baby in 5 months and I'm looking for a good wireless
> camera to see the baby when I'm not in home.
>
> My router is: D-Link DI-624 2.4 GHz AirPlus Xtreme G 108 Mbps
>
> I been looking for different choices like a X10 pack or D-Link
> DCS-1000W, but I do not know what other cameras are good.
>
> I'm open to any advice to choose the right camera.
>
> I want a camera that works day and night with a good quality and nice
> price :)
>
> Thanks a lot.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Thanks for your reply.

But just to be sure, I need the model of the "dlink 1/4 ccd pan tilt
model..." that you described in your message.

I´ll be on US in 2 weeks and I do not want to make a mistake in the
buy.

"bumtracks" <user@unknown.org> wrote in message news:<Biilc.139929$L31.85413@nwrddc01.gnilink.net>...
> you wont be able to use your 108mbps settings,,, most wifi cams are 802.11
> B,, not G so your router will be in mixed mode. That cam doesn't put out
> fast motion without lots of bandwidth so your internet upload speeds need to
> be more than you probably have. Two frames per sec per 128kbit of upload
> ,,, is about as good as they get for usable internet .
>
> I have dcs1000 and a trendNet tvip200w that's exactly the same guts
> wireless... they both need bright walls/furnishings and good office type
> lighting to have a decent picture. Dcs900w handles low light better... yea
> I know they're both 2.5 lux. but dcs1000 needs brighter lighting. Dcs 900
> is grainy in low light levels and sort of changes to black and white as it
> gets darker so you should not expect something you would print or boast
> about. But with enough light,,, you can take a peek at what's happening.
>
> Why not splurge on the dlink 1/4 ccd pan tilt model its lower lux, maybe
> 1 lux ? CCD will give a much gooder pic. I haven't seen it in action.
> It's also mpeg so should be less internet bytes. You'd be closer to doing
> the job you've described - but you cant go wrong spending the mear pittance
> for a dcs900w just to play with - everybody should have at least one of
> those things.
>

> "Jakkov" <google@pichara.com> wrote in message
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I'll have a baby in 5 months and I'm looking for a good wireless
> > camera to see the baby when I'm not in home.
> >
> > My router is: D-Link DI-624 2.4 GHz AirPlus Xtreme G 108 Mbps
> >
> > I been looking for different choices like a X10 pack or D-Link
> > DCS-1000W, but I do not know what other cameras are good.
> >
> > I'm open to any advice to choose the right camera.
> >
> > I want a camera that works day and night with a good quality and nice
> > price :)
> >
> > Thanks a lot.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

DCS-5300W D-Link
Product Features:. CCD Sensor for Superior Quality Image
.. Built-In Microphone for Audio Monitoring
.. High Quality MPEG-4 Short Header Mode Compression
.. Built-In Motion Detection & Email Notification
F2.0 , 1-Lux

http://www.d-link.com/products/?pid=296

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

I'll bet you could be disapointed with hat. Try it out at compusa first

What about a cheap PC with a webcam, and the whole thing is connected to
your wireless network.

In that tcase the 3com homeconnect camera is among the best, especially in
low light.

> DCS-5300W D-Link
> Product Features:. CCD Sensor for Superior Quality Image
> . Built-In Microphone for Audio Monitoring
> . High Quality MPEG-4 Short Header Mode Compression
> . Built-In Motion Detection & Email Notification
> F2.0 , 1-Lux
>
> http://www.d-link.com/products/?pid=296

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

I checked it on Amazon and it cost $348,99 after rebate. I think it
is expensive, maybe too much, you know another model cheap?

Thanks.

"bumtracks" <user@unknown.org> wrote in message news:<ABtlc.76865$G_.61900@nwrddc02.gnilink.net>...
> DCS-5300W D-Link
> Product Features:. CCD Sensor for Superior Quality Image
> . Built-In Microphone for Audio Monitoring
> . High Quality MPEG-4 Short Header Mode Compression
> . Built-In Motion Detection & Email Notification
> F2.0 , 1-Lux
>
> http://www.d-link.com/products/?pid=296

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

i have the little 3com cam
many say it works well
it may be rated low light,,, but it doesnt do it very well here.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

None of them work really great. The image is very low resolution. Night
vision requires infrared illumination...either built in the camera, around
the lens (IR LED's), or in an auxiliary device.

Bill Crocker

"Jakkov" <google@pichara.com> wrote in message
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'll have a baby in 5 months and I'm looking for a good wireless
> camera to see the baby when I'm not in home.
>
> My router is: D-Link DI-624 2.4 GHz AirPlus Xtreme G 108 Mbps
>
> I been looking for different choices like a X10 pack or D-Link
> DCS-1000W, but I do not know what other cameras are good.
>
> I'm open to any advice to choose the right camera.
>
> I want a camera that works day and night with a good quality and nice
> price :)
>
> Thanks a lot.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Bill, so what is your advice?, no camera at all?

Thanks.

"Bill Crocker" <wcrocker007@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<qc6dnUpsyIrTHArdRVn-sQ@comcast.com>...
> None of them work really great. The image is very low resolution. Night
> vision requires infrared illumination...either built in the camera, around
> the lens (IR LED's), or in an auxiliary device.
>
> Bill Crocker
>
> "Jakkov" <google@pichara.com> wrote in message
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I'll have a baby in 5 months and I'm looking for a good wireless
> > camera to see the baby when I'm not in home.
> >
> > My router is: D-Link DI-624 2.4 GHz AirPlus Xtreme G 108 Mbps
> >
> > I been looking for different choices like a X10 pack or D-Link
> > DCS-1000W, but I do not know what other cameras are good.
> >
> > I'm open to any advice to choose the right camera.
> >
> > I want a camera that works day and night with a good quality and nice
> > price :)
> >
> > Thanks a lot.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

I dont think there is a simple solution for your needs without overstepping
your budget.

If you could live wired rather than wifi you can get ccd/cctv color cam
that will do lower light levels for reasonable dollars. Network server for
cctv seem to start around $250 and upwards so maybe simply use a converter
to feed a capture device, make yourself a web page to view it - you'll
need to leave home computer running to use it.

fwiw;
Compex, www.cpx.com makes a wifi router, np26g-usb, that converts to a
stand alone wireless usb webcam server. It;s based on a particular popular
camera driver so you might want to download its firmware and look at the
known camera's it supports. Think I paid $75 for that router online. You
could possibly add a $50 webcam and there you go, almost - low light.

| fwiw;
| Compex, www.cpx.com makes a wifi router, np26g-usb, that converts to a
| stand alone wireless usb webcam server. It;s based on a particular
popular
| camera driver so you might want to download its firmware and look at the
| known camera's it supports. Think I paid $75 for that router online. You
| could possibly add a $50 webcam and there you go, almost - low light.

The np26g-usb looks nice!

How does this "dual USB port" for print or webcam server stuff work?
Is it like you plug-in the USB cam, you install the webcam driver on one of
the PC's that is on the LAN and than access the webcam that is connected to
the USB port of the router?

Also.. What will happen when you install the webcam driver on two PC's and
access the USB port of the router?

Noël

--
http://webcam.kijk.info
http://www.resize2mail.com

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

more or less,,, no pc required.

The np28gusb becomes a stand alone webcam server once its webcam firmware is
loaded.

It can be connected to 802.11b/g wirelessly,,, or patch cabled to a
router. or cross over cabled to a pc.

Basicly with the firmware installed it appears to become just another wifi
network client --- A usb-webcam plugs directly into apparently either usb
port. Looks like it will support two camera's but only one will view at any
one time. Type in the url and it presents you with a web page and a search
for cam button,,, then appears a pop up window giving you a list of the
webcams to choose from. It does WDS so I guess you can have an infinite
number of seperate NP26gusb wirelessly on its wds network functioning as
webcam servers and/or routers.

You will access the webcam remotely from any network computer just as you
would access any networked pc. No webcam program needed on any computer.

np26g-usb once loaded with camera firmware contains the more or less generic
webcam driver and gives you webpage access to the video and webcam controls
.... probably most would add a password for controls.

I'm speculating on how it all works as I dont have a supported camera to
fool around with. They have almost zero documentation that I can find.
I have loaded the cam firmware and fiddled,,, supprised me as I unplugged
the network cable feeding it after doing a VNC firmware change from routerAP
to CamServer and my wifi laptop channel switched over and was taking to
t - it had become a repeater or wireless AP and networked the laptop
wirelessy through my di624a dlink wifi router. As a router it runs to
the beat of a different drummer,,, has features that make it a not your
everyday normal router - it's weak in the secure and firewall
departments,,, otherwise a cool thing.

"Noël" <n03l@REMOVE-hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "bumtracks" <user@unknown.org> wrote in message
> |
> | fwiw;
> | Compex, www.cpx.com makes a wifi router, np26g-usb, that converts to a
> | stand alone wireless usb webcam server. It;s based on a particular
> popular
> | camera driver so you might want to download its firmware and look at the
> | known camera's it supports. Think I paid $75 for that router online.
You
> | could possibly add a $50 webcam and there you go, almost - low light.
> |

> The np26g-usb looks nice!
>
> How does this "dual USB port" for print or webcam server stuff work?
> Is it like you plug-in the USB cam, you install the webcam driver on one
of
> the PC's that is on the LAN and than access the webcam that is connected
> the USB port of the router?
>
> Also.. What will happen when you install the webcam driver on two PC's and
> access the USB port of the router?
>
> Noël
>
> --
> http://webcam.kijk.info
> http://www.resize2mail.com

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

"Jakkov" <google@pichara.com> wrote in message

> I'll have a baby in 5 months and I'm looking for a good wireless
> camera to see the baby when I'm not in home.

Whoa, whoa, you're going leave the baby alone in the house when you're not
at home?

--

- Tony Sutton
- http://www.hyperboard.co.uk - The Biggest Message Board!

| more or less,,, no pc required.
|
| The np28gusb becomes a stand alone webcam server once its webcam firmware
is
| loaded.
|
| It can be connected to 802.11b/g wirelessly,,, or patch cabled to a
| router. or cross over cabled to a pc.
|
| Basicly with the firmware installed it appears to become just another wifi
| network client --- A usb-webcam plugs directly into apparently either usb
| port. Looks like it will support two camera's but only one will view at
any
| one time. Type in the url and it presents you with a web page and a
search
| for cam button,,, then appears a pop up window giving you a list of the
| webcams to choose from. It does WDS so I guess you can have an infinite
| number of seperate NP26gusb wirelessly on its wds network functioning as
| webcam servers and/or routers.
|
| You will access the webcam remotely from any network computer just as you
| would access any networked pc. No webcam program needed on any computer.
|
| np26g-usb once loaded with camera firmware contains the more or less
generic
| webcam driver and gives you webpage access to the video and webcam
controls
| ... probably most would add a password for controls.
|
| I'm speculating on how it all works as I dont have a supported camera to
| fool around with. They have almost zero documentation that I can find.
| I have loaded the cam firmware and fiddled,,, supprised me as I unplugged
| the network cable feeding it after doing a VNC firmware change from
routerAP
| to CamServer and my wifi laptop channel switched over and was taking to
| t - it had become a repeater or wireless AP and networked the laptop
| wirelessy through my di624a dlink wifi router. As a router it runs to
| the beat of a different drummer,,, has features that make it a not your
| everyday normal router - it's weak in the secure and firewall
| departments,,, otherwise a cool thing.

Interesting!.. Thanks for the info.

Noël

--
http://webcam.kijk.info
http://www.resize2mail.com

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

On Thu, 6 May 2004 18:06:30 +0100, "Tony Sutton"
<Tony@hypertony.co.ukNOSPAM> wrote:

>"Jakkov" <google@pichara.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I'll have a baby in 5 months and I'm looking for a good wireless
>> camera to see the baby when I'm not in home.
>>

>Whoa, whoa, you're going leave the baby alone in the house when you're not
>at home?

Read what was said. He didn't say anything about leaving a baby
alone at home.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

This is a poor application of a wireless camera. These devices are not
secure. Anyone parked in front of your house with a wireless receiver can
see when your baby is alone in the room. Use a wired camera, and secure the
web-site. Use strong passwords and change them every month. If possible,
require an encrypted VPN tunnel.

Ron Bandes

In article <tsMmc.156778$Gd3.41956123@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>,
Ron Bandes <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote:
:This is a poor application of a wireless camera. These devices are not
:secure. Anyone parked in front of your house with a wireless receiver can
:see when your baby is alone in the room.

Your implication is that wireless cameras do not support WEP or WPA ?
--
Are we *there* yet??

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

The wireless voyeur knows if its wireless, he can simply grab a four channel
reciever and watch whatever goes on.
See this a lot lately -- seems most people are familiar with the wireless
nanny and security type cams and many become bold snoopers on their
neighbors. Amazingly, most of those very same snoopers don't have any idea
what wifi networking is - when they see wireless cam, they only know and
think nanny stuff and their ease of intrusion.

"Walter Roberson" <roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote in message
> In article <tsMmc.156778$Gd3.41956123@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>,
> Ron Bandes <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote:
> :This is a poor application of a wireless camera. These devices are not
> :secure. Anyone parked in front of your house with a wireless receiver
can
> :see when your baby is alone in the room.
>
> Your implication is that wireless cameras do not support WEP or WPA ?
> --
> Are we *there* yet??

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

On Fri, 7 May 2004 17:08:55 +0100, "Tony Sutton"
<Tony@hypertony.co.ukNOSPAM> wrote:

>Well, his worded sounded like he was going to do that. :)

Nothing in the origional wording below to indicate the baby would
be alone. Your imigination worked that up.

>> I'll have a baby in 5 months and I'm looking for a good wireless
>> camera to see the baby when I'm not in home.
>>

>Whoa, whoa, you're going leave the baby alone in the house when you're not
>at home?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

> >Well, his worded sounded like he was going to do that. :)
>
> Nothing in the origional wording below to indicate the baby would
> be alone. Your imigination worked that up.
>
> >> I'll have a baby in 5 months and I'm looking for a good wireless
> >> camera to see the baby when I'm not in home.
> >>

> >Whoa, whoa, you're going leave the baby alone in the house when you're
not
> >at home?

As a guy that worked mostly in other peoples offices , one afternoon I was
nearby and went home early, early for me at least - probably close to 5.
An 81 yr old neighbor lady rapidly approached and very seriously/sternly
said; 'Your new baby's been crying all day long and no one has been home'.

At the time I had a fairly new daughter, probably one + yrs old... and
an Amazon parrot about the same age.
Had to walk that neighbor all through the house with her looking in every
nook & cranny - her day long concerns didn't seem to want to believe a
parrot could cry so loud and with such expression. And of course, to the
parrot `mums the word when guests first arrive.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

That's right. Wireless cameras like the X10 are not WiFi, and so they don't
have WEP or WPA. They simply use the same frequency band. The 2.4 GHz
band, called ISM (Industrial, Scientific, Medical), is used for many
purposes besides WiFi: cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens,
wireless cameras.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

"Walter Roberson" <roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote in message
> In article <tsMmc.156778$Gd3.41956123@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>,
> Ron Bandes <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote:
> :This is a poor application of a wireless camera. These devices are not
> :secure. Anyone parked in front of your house with a wireless receiver
can
> :see when your baby is alone in the room.
>
> Your implication is that wireless cameras do not support WEP or WPA ?
> --
> Are we *there* yet??

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Availaible soon :
http://www.axis.com/products/cam_206w/index.htm

"Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> a écrit dans le message de
> That's right. Wireless cameras like the X10 are not WiFi, and so they
don't
> have WEP or WPA. They simply use the same frequency band. The 2.4 GHz
> band, called ISM (Industrial, Scientific, Medical), is used for many
> purposes besides WiFi: cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens,
> wireless cameras.
>
> Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
>
> "Walter Roberson" <roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote in message
> > In article <tsMmc.156778$Gd3.41956123@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>,
> > Ron Bandes <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote:
> > :This is a poor application of a wireless camera. These devices are not
> > :secure. Anyone parked in front of your house with a wireless receiver
> can
> > :see when your baby is alone in the room.
> >
> > Your implication is that wireless cameras do not support WEP or WPA ?
> > --
> > Are we *there* yet??

Slayer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

bumtracks wrote:
>>> Well, his worded sounded like he was going to do that. :)
>>
>> Nothing in the origional wording below to indicate the baby would
>> be alone. Your imigination worked that up.

>>> Whoa, whoa, you're going leave the baby alone in the house when
>>> you're not at home?
>

> As a guy that worked mostly in other peoples offices , one afternoon
> I was nearby and went home early, early for me at least - probably
> close to 5.
> An 81 yr old neighbor lady rapidly approached and very
> seriously/sternly said; 'Your new baby's been crying all day long
> and no one has been home'.
>
> At the time I had a fairly new daughter, probably one + yrs old...
> and
> an Amazon parrot about the same age.
> Had to walk that neighbor all through the house with her looking in
> every nook & cranny - her day long concerns didn't seem to want to
> believe a parrot could cry so loud and with such expression. And of
> course, to the parrot `mums the word when guests first arrive.

i have a wireless camera set up ( or 5 actually)

and my neighbour has one too and the lady across the road...

we all have access to each others cameras......

and i believe the lady across the road regularly tunes into my bird table
cam which i rareley watch..

she can also see my other cameras and my neighbours....

but i dont see a problem as we dont stand in front of the cameras naked or
anything like that....

its mainly for street security....

to see what they can see go here :
http://www.easyfreewebcam.com/cam/lordquavis/

two of these are totally wireless (#1 and #3)and one is half wired and half
wireless#4.....the fouth is hard wired#2...

regards slayer

--
if the following image offends then dont look at it...

/' /)
,/_ /
/ /
/'_'/' '/'_'7,
/'/ / / /" \
('( ' ' _~/
\ '\
'\' \ \ \ _7
\ (
\ \.

slayer in da house annoying the people

ERROR 404 SIG NOT FOUND . END OF INSTRUCTION , PROGRAM FAILED TO
INITIALIZE. KILL ALL ENEMIES OF THE UK AND COALITION FORCES NOW !!!

SOME PEOPLE ENJOY SIPPING FROM THE FOUNTAIN OF KNOWLEDGE...........

PERSONALLY ,,,, i like to take huge gulps..........

remove my shorts to email me direct....

http://www.rselby.com/tips.htm windowx xp tips

regards slayer

phlem1@myshortsbtinertnet.com

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

You could try the new wireless TrackerCam:

http://www.trackercam.com/wireless