It seems i am stuck in safe mode.

Hi,
I thought I knew a fair deal about pcs, but I am seriously stumped on
this one. This is not how I had planned to spend my Saturday! :mad:
But it needs to be fixed.

I did the msconfig thing last night and restarted in diagnostic mode so
I could run Adaware which I did, then started the defrag and went to
bed. This morning the defrag was done and I went to msconfig and
selected Normal startup and restarted but when it restarts none of the
usual system tray icons show up, no access to the internet, even the
HELP AND SUPPORT program wont load! I get an error saying that a
startup service didnt properly load. PLEASE HELP! thanks.

mils

I would start with running System File Checker.

Insert your Windows XP installation CD-ROM. If it autoruns, which it should,
then close the window.

Now go to Start > Run and type
sfc /scannow
click Ok