VPN query

Last response: in Wireless Networking
May 3, 2004 8:52:51 AM

I was considering a wireless network for my home office and sons rooms and
to allow a hot spot so I could surf and access files from my lap top while
in another part of the house.
I travel a lot and was wondering if a VPN that could access my files
resident at home was an ortion. The guys at the computer store are speaking
a different language as I am not that tech conversant.
Is a VPN an affordable solution, how do they work and do you need the
programms on the home PC to be resident on the PC you use to access the home
network or do you remotely take over the home network?

Gethrog

More about : vpn query

Anonymous
May 3, 2004 12:44:39 PM

"gethrog" <gethrog2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:D eklc.9018$TT.3994@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> I was considering a wireless network for my home office
and sons rooms and
> to allow a hot spot so I could surf and access files from
my lap top while
> in another part of the house.
> I travel a lot and was wondering if a VPN that could
access my files
> resident at home was an ortion. The guys at the computer
store are speaking
> a different language as I am not that tech conversant.
> Is a VPN an affordable solution, how do they work and do
you need the
> programms on the home PC to be resident on the PC you use
to access the home
> network or do you remotely take over the home network?

A VPN, when connected, allows you access to your network
resources, as if you were connected via cable to the
network. If you require remote access to your network from
outside, then you're probably looking at something akin to
PCAnywhere, or VNC.
VPN requires a VPN server at one end, and a client at the
other. Some routers act as VPN servers, the Netgear FVS318
for example, the client is usually a piece of compatable
software.

You need to decide what you want to do, before making any
decision. No doubt you'll get other, helpful, replies to
your query.

P.
Anonymous
May 3, 2004 12:44:40 PM

If you're running WinXP Pro, its Remote Desktop Connection will allow you to
do exactly what you want (no cost involved). I am using RDC to help some
friends with their computer problems and to access my puter from remote
locations. My friends also run XP pro. Home doesn't have this feature.

"PJB" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

> "gethrog" <gethrog2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:D eklc.9018$TT.3994@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> > I was considering a wireless network for my home office
> and sons rooms and
> > to allow a hot spot so I could surf and access files from
> my lap top while
> > in another part of the house.
> > I travel a lot and was wondering if a VPN that could
> access my files
> > resident at home was an ortion. The guys at the computer
> store are speaking
> > a different language as I am not that tech conversant.
> > Is a VPN an affordable solution, how do they work and do
> you need the
> > programms on the home PC to be resident on the PC you use
> to access the home
> > network or do you remotely take over the home network?
>
> A VPN, when connected, allows you access to your network
> resources, as if you were connected via cable to the
> network. If you require remote access to your network from
> outside, then you're probably looking at something akin to
> PCAnywhere, or VNC.
> VPN requires a VPN server at one end, and a client at the
> other. Some routers act as VPN servers, the Netgear FVS318
> for example, the client is usually a piece of compatable
> software.
>
> You need to decide what you want to do, before making any
> decision. No doubt you'll get other, helpful, replies to
> your query.
>
> P.

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 3, 2004 2:13:11 PM

"gethrog" <gethrog2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:D eklc.9018$TT.3994@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> I was considering a wireless network for my home office and sons rooms and

You should really reconsider having business data on wireless. You are off
to a good start by using a VPN for remote access but giving up security by
using wireless.

> to allow a hot spot so I could surf and access files from my lap top while
> in another part of the house.
> I travel a lot and was wondering if a VPN that could access my files
> resident at home was an ortion. The guys at the computer store are
speaking
> a different language as I am not that tech conversant.
> Is a VPN an affordable solution, how do they work and do you need the
> programms on the home PC to be resident on the PC you use to access the
home
> network or do you remotely take over the home network?
>
> Gethrog

Anonymous
May 3, 2004 3:15:55 PM

> If you're running WinXP Pro, its Remote Desktop Connection will allow you to
> do exactly what you want (no cost involved). I am using RDC to help some
> friends with their computer problems and to access my puter from remote
> locations. My friends also run XP pro. Home doesn't have this feature.

Either setting up a vpn system or proxy server would be ideal plus a
firewall . You will also need to secure your laptop as an additional
layer of protection. If the guys at the local computer store are
speaking above your head I would strongly suggest paying someone to set
this up for you. Also , have them secure your wireless hardware at home.
Too many people think wireless is plug and play.
Anonymous
May 3, 2004 7:18:02 PM

> "gethrog" <gethrog2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:D eklc.9018$TT.3994@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>
>>> I was considering a wireless network for my home office and sons rooms and
>

> You should really reconsider having business data on wireless. You are off
> to a good start by using a VPN for remote access but giving up security by
> using wireless.
>

>>> to allow a hot spot so I could surf and access files from my lap top while
>>> in another part of the house.
>>> I travel a lot and was wondering if a VPN that could access my files
>>> resident at home was an ortion. The guys at the computer store are
>
> speaking
>
>>> a different language as I am not that tech conversant.
>>> Is a VPN an affordable solution, how do they work and do you need the
>>> programms on the home PC to be resident on the PC you use to access the
>
> home
>
>>> network or do you remotely take over the home network?
>>>
>>> Gethrog

This is not quite what your looking for remote access to your home
office . But , I nice soho / home use .
http://www.netopia.com/equipment/products/cayman/3000/3...
!