VPN query

I was considering a wireless network for my home office and sons rooms and
to allow a hot spot so I could surf and access files from my lap top while
in another part of the house.
I travel a lot and was wondering if a VPN that could access my files
resident at home was an ortion. The guys at the computer store are speaking
a different language as I am not that tech conversant.
Is a VPN an affordable solution, how do they work and do you need the
programms on the home PC to be resident on the PC you use to access the home
network or do you remotely take over the home network?

Gethrog
5 answers Last reply
More about query

    "gethrog" <gethrog2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I was considering a wireless network for my home office
    and sons rooms and
    > to allow a hot spot so I could surf and access files from
    my lap top while
    > in another part of the house.
    > I travel a lot and was wondering if a VPN that could
    access my files
    > resident at home was an ortion. The guys at the computer
    store are speaking
    > a different language as I am not that tech conversant.
    > Is a VPN an affordable solution, how do they work and do
    you need the
    > programms on the home PC to be resident on the PC you use
    to access the home
    > network or do you remotely take over the home network?

    A VPN, when connected, allows you access to your network
    resources, as if you were connected via cable to the
    network. If you require remote access to your network from
    outside, then you're probably looking at something akin to
    PCAnywhere, or VNC.
    VPN requires a VPN server at one end, and a client at the
    other. Some routers act as VPN servers, the Netgear FVS318
    for example, the client is usually a piece of compatable
    software.

    You need to decide what you want to do, before making any
    decision. No doubt you'll get other, helpful, replies to
    your query.

    P.

    If you're running WinXP Pro, its Remote Desktop Connection will allow you to
    do exactly what you want (no cost involved). I am using RDC to help some
    friends with their computer problems and to access my puter from remote
    locations. My friends also run XP pro. Home doesn't have this feature.

    "PJB" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

    > "gethrog" <gethrog2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > I was considering a wireless network for my home office
    > and sons rooms and
    > > to allow a hot spot so I could surf and access files from
    > my lap top while
    > > in another part of the house.
    > > I travel a lot and was wondering if a VPN that could
    > access my files
    > > resident at home was an ortion. The guys at the computer
    > store are speaking
    > > a different language as I am not that tech conversant.
    > > Is a VPN an affordable solution, how do they work and do
    > you need the
    > > programms on the home PC to be resident on the PC you use
    > to access the home
    > > network or do you remotely take over the home network?
    >
    > A VPN, when connected, allows you access to your network
    > resources, as if you were connected via cable to the
    > network. If you require remote access to your network from
    > outside, then you're probably looking at something akin to
    > PCAnywhere, or VNC.
    > VPN requires a VPN server at one end, and a client at the
    > other. Some routers act as VPN servers, the Netgear FVS318
    > for example, the client is usually a piece of compatable
    > software.
    >
    > You need to decide what you want to do, before making any
    > decision. No doubt you'll get other, helpful, replies to
    > your query.
    >
    > P.

    "gethrog" <gethrog2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I was considering a wireless network for my home office and sons rooms and

    You should really reconsider having business data on wireless. You are off
    to a good start by using a VPN for remote access but giving up security by
    using wireless.

    > to allow a hot spot so I could surf and access files from my lap top while
    > in another part of the house.
    > I travel a lot and was wondering if a VPN that could access my files
    > resident at home was an ortion. The guys at the computer store are
    speaking
    > a different language as I am not that tech conversant.
    > Is a VPN an affordable solution, how do they work and do you need the
    > programms on the home PC to be resident on the PC you use to access the
    home
    > network or do you remotely take over the home network?
    >
    > Gethrog

    > If you're running WinXP Pro, its Remote Desktop Connection will allow you to
    > do exactly what you want (no cost involved). I am using RDC to help some
    > friends with their computer problems and to access my puter from remote
    > locations. My friends also run XP pro. Home doesn't have this feature.

    Either setting up a vpn system or proxy server would be ideal plus a
    firewall . You will also need to secure your laptop as an additional
    layer of protection. If the guys at the local computer store are
    speaking above your head I would strongly suggest paying someone to set
    this up for you. Also , have them secure your wireless hardware at home.
    Too many people think wireless is plug and play.

    > "gethrog" <gethrog2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>> I was considering a wireless network for my home office and sons rooms and
    >

    > You should really reconsider having business data on wireless. You are off
    > to a good start by using a VPN for remote access but giving up security by
    > using wireless.
    >

    >>> to allow a hot spot so I could surf and access files from my lap top while
    >>> in another part of the house.
    >>> I travel a lot and was wondering if a VPN that could access my files
    >>> resident at home was an ortion. The guys at the computer store are
    >
    > speaking
    >
    >>> a different language as I am not that tech conversant.
    >>> Is a VPN an affordable solution, how do they work and do you need the
    >>> programms on the home PC to be resident on the PC you use to access the
    >
    > home
    >
    >>> network or do you remotely take over the home network?
    >>>
    >>> Gethrog

    This is not quite what your looking for remote access to your home
    office . But , I nice soho / home use .
    http://www.netopia.com/equipment/products/cayman/3000/3300w.html

Wireless Network VPN Wireless Networking