I don't have any desktop icons or taskbar. I followed a suggestion to go to
task manager and do file, run, explorer, but that didn't work. Anyone have
another suggestion?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318027
Taskbar Is Missing When You Log On to Windows

and/or

Line 117 – Restore Taskbar and Start Menu

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

or Line #195 "Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar"

"jensauntfred" <jensauntfred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I don't have any desktop icons or taskbar. I followed a suggestion to go to
> task manager and do file, run, explorer, but that didn't work. Anyone have
> another suggestion?

chelsea

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2005

"jensauntfred" <jensauntfred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I don't have any desktop icons or taskbar. I followed a suggestion to go
> task manager and do file, run, explorer, but that didn't work. Anyone
> have
> another suggestion?

I think the only practical thing to do is a type of reinstallation of XP
called an inplace update. This will retain all of your current settings, but
you will have to reapply the service pack SP1 or SP2 whichever you use and
additionally all the hot fixes. Make sure you are not connected to the
internet until you have applied the service packs as you will be very
vulnerable to the various worms that take advantage of system
vulnerabilities. A good description of what you need to do is here
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm Click on How To Run a Repair
Install. Hope it helps

Chelsea

Thank you for your suggestions Chelsea and TaurArian. I actually took
TaurArian's advice last night, and it worked like a charm. Thank you so
much, TaurArian, as I don't know much about computers. I will keep your
advice too, Chelsea. The more things I can try, the easier a solution may be
found..

"Chelsea" wrote:

> "jensauntfred" <jensauntfred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I don't have any desktop icons or taskbar. I followed a suggestion to go
> > task manager and do file, run, explorer, but that didn't work. Anyone
> > have
> > another suggestion?
>
> I think the only practical thing to do is a type of reinstallation of XP
> called an inplace update. This will retain all of your current settings, but
> you will have to reapply the service pack SP1 or SP2 whichever you use and
> additionally all the hot fixes. Make sure you are not connected to the
> internet until you have applied the service packs as you will be very
> vulnerable to the various worms that take advantage of system
> vulnerabilities. A good description of what you need to do is here
> http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm Click on How To Run a Repair
> Install. Hope it helps
>
> Chelsea

chelsea

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2005

> Thank you for your suggestions Chelsea and TaurArian. I actually took
> TaurArian's advice last night, and it worked like a charm. Thank you so
> much, TaurArian, as I don't know much about computers. I will keep your
> advice too, Chelsea. The more things I can try, the easier a solution may
> be
> found..

Thats good to hear. Glad you didn't have to do the reinstall

Chelsea

chaser

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004

I had the same problem, and these suggestions worked for me. Thanks!!!!

chaser
--
Thanks!