No Desktop or taskbar

I don't have any desktop icons or taskbar. I followed a suggestion to go to
task manager and do file, run, explorer, but that didn't work. Anyone have
another suggestion?
5 answers Last reply
More about desktop taskbar

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318027
    Taskbar Is Missing When You Log On to Windows

    and/or

    Line 117 – Restore Taskbar and Start Menu

    Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

    or Line #195 "Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar"

    "jensauntfred" <jensauntfred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I don't have any desktop icons or taskbar. I followed a suggestion to go to
    > task manager and do file, run, explorer, but that didn't work. Anyone have
    > another suggestion?

    "jensauntfred" <jensauntfred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I don't have any desktop icons or taskbar. I followed a suggestion to go
    > task manager and do file, run, explorer, but that didn't work. Anyone
    > have
    > another suggestion?

    I think the only practical thing to do is a type of reinstallation of XP
    called an inplace update. This will retain all of your current settings, but
    you will have to reapply the service pack SP1 or SP2 whichever you use and
    additionally all the hot fixes. Make sure you are not connected to the
    internet until you have applied the service packs as you will be very
    vulnerable to the various worms that take advantage of system
    vulnerabilities. A good description of what you need to do is here
    http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm Click on How To Run a Repair
    Install. Hope it helps

    Chelsea

    Thank you for your suggestions Chelsea and TaurArian. I actually took
    TaurArian's advice last night, and it worked like a charm. Thank you so
    much, TaurArian, as I don't know much about computers. I will keep your
    advice too, Chelsea. The more things I can try, the easier a solution may be
    found..

    > Thank you for your suggestions Chelsea and TaurArian. I actually took
    > TaurArian's advice last night, and it worked like a charm. Thank you so
    > much, TaurArian, as I don't know much about computers. I will keep your
    > advice too, Chelsea. The more things I can try, the easier a solution may
    > be
    > found..

    Thats good to hear. Glad you didn't have to do the reinstall

    Chelsea

    I had the same problem, and these suggestions worked for me. Thanks!!!!

    chaser
    --
    Thanks!

    "TaurArian" wrote:

    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318027
    > Taskbar Is Missing When You Log On to Windows
    >
    > and/or

    > Line 117 – Restore Taskbar and Start Menu
    >
    > Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
    >
    > or Line #195 "Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar"
    >

    > "jensauntfred" <jensauntfred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I don't have any desktop icons or taskbar. I followed a suggestion to go to
    > > task manager and do file, run, explorer, but that didn't work. Anyone have
    > > another suggestion?

Taskbar Desktops Microsoft Desktop Icons Windows XP