spoolsv.exe process using 90-98% CPU

The aforementioned process is eating up my CPU and bogging my system down. I
can end the process via task manager and performance returns to normal,
except that I can't print.

There's a support article on a similar problem with Win2K Server but not for
XP2.

Any suggestions?

Juan

Distinguished
May 5, 2003

The article you mention for Win2000 should also apply for WXP SP2... why not
give it a try?...
Another aproach would be to change the printer driver, it may be the one
presently running is corrupted or inadecuate. There are many printer drivers
in windows XP that can run any printer but install one that seems most
compatable according to make and model... a number in printer model driver
should not cause any trouble... I have tested one printer make with other
printer make drivers, and have had acceptable results. EG: HP 950 or 970
printers with Lexmark or Cannon drivers, and they ran ok. Or you can
download an updated driver from one of many driver sites. One I download
from is http://www.driverguide.com

"Chuck Steenburgh" <ChuckSteenburgh@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en
el mensaje news:A9927618-04D8-4056-829D-F12BE072BC74@microsoft.com...
> The aforementioned process is eating up my CPU and bogging my system down.
> can end the process via task manager and performance returns to normal,
> except that I can't print.
>
> There's a support article on a similar problem with Win2K Server but not
for
> XP2.
>
> Any suggestions?

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> The aforementioned process is eating up my CPU and bogging my
> system down. I
> can end the process via task manager and performance returns
> to normal,
> except that I can't print.
>
> There's a support article on a similar problem with Win2K
> Server but not for
> XP2.
>
> Any suggestions?

Im guessing the print qeue is empty, What happens if you start the
spooler service again? and dose it still do this if the printer is
unpluged?

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-spoolsv.exe-process-90-98-CPU-ftopict555138.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1763721

Heavens no. The article contains a fix with lots of new files...and I know
better than to mix OS system files!

"Juan" wrote:

> The article you mention for Win2000 should also apply for WXP SP2... why not
> give it a try?...
> Another aproach would be to change the printer driver, it may be the one
> presently running is corrupted or inadecuate. There are many printer drivers
> in windows XP that can run any printer but install one that seems most
> compatable according to make and model... a number in printer model driver
> should not cause any trouble... I have tested one printer make with other
> printer make drivers, and have had acceptable results. EG: HP 950 or 970
> printers with Lexmark or Cannon drivers, and they ran ok. Or you can
> download an updated driver from one of many driver sites. One I download
> from is http://www.driverguide.com

Juan

Distinguished
May 5, 2003

Sorry if I didn't explain better... I didn't mean to mix win2000 fixes with
WXP.... what it meant was to apply what you can with keyboard and mouse,
specially being that SP2 articles on printer troubles are hard to find or do
not exist. Another and probabbly better aproach would be to uninstall the
printer from the Device Manager, delete it from the printers folder and
phisically remove the printer. Reboot the computer and then reinstall the
printer.

-------------------------------------
"Chuck Steenburgh" <ChuckSteenburgh@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en
el mensaje news:F15C4D52-CCE8-4FA3-89A5-C44AF6B83235@microsoft.com...
> Heavens no. The article contains a fix with lots of new files...and I
know
> better than to mix OS system files!
>
> "Juan" wrote:
>
> > The article you mention for Win2000 should also apply for WXP SP2... why
not
> > give it a try?...
> > Another aproach would be to change the printer driver, it may be the one
> > presently running is corrupted or inadecuate. There are many printer
drivers
> > in windows XP that can run any printer but install one that seems most
> > compatable according to make and model... a number in printer model
driver
> > should not cause any trouble... I have tested one printer make with
other
> > printer make drivers, and have had acceptable results. EG: HP 950 or
970
> > printers with Lexmark or Cannon drivers, and they ran ok. Or you can
> > download an updated driver from one of many driver sites. One I
download
> > from is http://www.driverguide.com

Well, you had no way of knowing what the fix entailed. But you're right,
there is precious little on the subject specific to XP and I looked at the
W2K fix to see if I could make it work for this problem.

I had hoped we had evolved past the "completely remove any trace and
re-install" approach, but perhaps you're right. I'll give that a try.