multimonitor problems

I just bought a Samsung 19" LCD monitor with DVI input. I have been using an
old NEC MulticSync 50 which uses an analog cable. I was planning on using
both monitors, with the NEC as my secondary monitor. After I installed the
driver in XP, I get a picture only on the Samsung. The driver for the NEC
seems to have disappeared. I tried the online troubleshooting but I can't
seem to reinstall the driver. I assume my graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce4
MX440) can support two monitors because it has both a DVI slot and RGB slot.
The Display properties seems to recognize the Samsung now and doesn't list
the NEC at all.

Help!

Thanks,

NR
11 answers Last reply
More about multimonitor problems

    NR wrote:
    > I just bought a Samsung 19" LCD monitor with DVI input. I have been
    > using an old NEC MulticSync 50 which uses an analog cable. I was
    > planning on using both monitors, with the NEC as my secondary
    > monitor. After I installed the driver in XP, I get a picture only on
    > the Samsung. The driver for the NEC seems to have disappeared. I
    > tried the online troubleshooting but I can't seem to reinstall the
    > driver. I assume my graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440) can support
    > two monitors because it has both a DVI slot and RGB slot. The Display
    > properties seems to recognize the Samsung now and doesn't list the
    > NEC at all.

    The monitor driver is usually a moot point.. The VIDEO CARD DRIVER may need
    to be updated..

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Okay thanks, Shenan. I went to the NVIDIA website to dowload the latest
    driver. It says however I need to remove the current driver. I'm kind of
    nervous about doing that- will I be able to see anything after I remove the
    old driver before I install the latest one?

    BTW, when I disconnected my new Samsung LCD and reconnected my old NEC thru
    the analog connection (like I originally had it), I see nothing. Keep in
    mind that this monitor worked before I downloaded the new Samsung drivers.

    Thanks,

    NR

    NR wrote:
    > Okay thanks, Shenan. I went to the NVIDIA website to dowload the
    > latest driver. It says however I need to remove the current driver.
    > I'm kind of nervous about doing that- will I be able to see anything
    > after I remove the old driver before I install the latest one?

    It should remove and install the new driver for you.. and you shouldn't be
    any worse off - likely better off.

    > BTW, when I disconnected my new Samsung LCD and reconnected my old
    > NEC thru the analog connection (like I originally had it), I see
    > nothing. Keep in mind that this monitor worked before I downloaded
    > the new Samsung drivers.

    Hook only the monitor you see nothing out of up and restart the machine - do
    you even see a pre-windows screen? (BIOS, etc?)

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

    > It should remove and install the new driver for you.. and you shouldn't be
    > any worse off - likely better off.

    So I should just download the new driver and not remove the old first like
    NVIDIA says?

    > Hook only the monitor you see nothing out of up and restart the machine - do
    > you even see a pre-windows screen? (BIOS, etc?)

    Actually, I see the BIOS screen and the first Windows screen when it is

    "NR" <NR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    >> It should remove and install the new driver for you.. and you shouldn't
    >> be
    >> any worse off - likely better off.
    >
    > So I should just download the new driver and not remove the old first like
    > NVIDIA says?
    >
    >> Hook only the monitor you see nothing out of up and restart the machine -
    >> do
    >> you even see a pre-windows screen? (BIOS, etc?)
    >>
    > Actually, I see the BIOS screen and the first Windows screen when it is
    > on

    Hi NR
    First are you using XP Pro or XP Home? XP Home doesn't support dual monitor
    operation.

    Chelsea

    Really? Is this true??? Can someone else verify this?

    This doesn't explain why my old monitor doesn't function anymore when I just
    connect it.

    Thanks.

    NR

    Chelsea wrote:
    > First are you using XP Pro or XP Home? XP Home doesn't support dual
    > monitor operation.

    I am still unclear on the subject - as I deal mainly with XP Professional
    everyday - it may be true.
    I would download and install the forceware drivers if I were you.. It may
    solve this whole discussion.

    Articles like the ones below though seem to point to the fact that Windows
    XP Home edition can at least do two monitors using "DualView" in Windows XP.

    Description of DualView in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283674
    ( Notice what the article applies to: )
    ( • Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition )
    ( • Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition )

    Of course, they get pretty specific on Video cards:
    List of Supported Display Adapters for Multiple Monitors and Dualview in
    Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307397
    ( However, that hasn't been updated since 2003.)

    Then there was this old article about setting up multiple monitors - I
    notice other than the title, XP Home is never mentioned again - only generic
    "XP" and once XP Professional.
    Setting up dual monitors using Windows XP Home
    http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php?id=397764216&fp=16&fpid=0

    There is also this Microsoft "How To", which is so well done as not to
    mention Home or Professional..
    Expand Your Workspace with Multiple Monitors and Dualview
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/multimonitor.mspx
    As well as this one:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/northrup_multimon.mspx

    This article definitely refers to Home and Pro..
    How To Configure and Use Multiple Monitors in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307873

    And this one - which is pointing out a feature of the built in support that
    some people dislike - applies to both Home and Pro..
    Taskbar Can Only Appear on One of Your Multiple Monitors in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326351

    There's even this 2001 article
    http://www.helpwithwindows.com/windowsxp/home-vs-pro.html
    that has this quote:
    'At the start of Windows XP's development, the Home Edition version didn't
    support Multiple monitors, but this has since been added.'

    So - if it is true (Windows XP Home Edition does not support Multiple
    Monitors) - it is very badly documented with the majority of documents
    referring to both Home and Pro or some generic "XP", seemingly pointing you
    towards the assumption XP Home can do dual monitors and not necessarily in
    only a limited frame of reference.

    In any case, I thought in the case of NVidia, their Forceware drivers gave
    you the dual monitor support you needed, no matter what.
    You could try UltraMon to solve you issue if it is indeed true that your
    card will not do DualView/MultiMonitor even with the latest NVidia Forceware
    drivers.. However, it could just be the card you have does not do Dual
    Displays - even if in Windows XP Professional. I have had that with cards
    with DVI and VGA outputs.

    http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    > Really? Is this true??? Can someone else verify this?
    >
    > This doesn't explain why my old monitor doesn't function anymore when I
    > just
    > connect it.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > NR

    By all means lets have someone confirm this. If you really want to run a
    second monitor with XP home you could change to a Mattrox graphics card that
    comes with software for two displays. The card is excellent for 2d use but
    very limited for 3d and therefore games-its about £70 or $100.

    Chelsea

    I'm sorry, didn't mean to come off that way. I just am surprised that it
    doesn't support it.

    What about my NVIDIA card that's installed? Does its software allow two
    monitors? It has both DVI and analog ports.

    And what do you think is the reason I no longer can run my old monitor, even
    though I disconnect the new one?

    Thanks,

    NR

    > I'm sorry, didn't mean to come off that way. I just am surprised that it
    > doesn't support it.
    >
    > What about my NVIDIA card that's installed? Does its software allow two
    > monitors? It has both DVI and analog ports.
    >
    > And what do you think is the reason I no longer can run my old monitor,
    > even
    > though I disconnect the new one?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > NR

    Hi NR,
    No offence taken, its always good to get verification-how embarassing if I'm
    wrong-don't think so though lol. Nvidia as far as I know doesn't have OS
    extensions for dual monitors-they rely on the hooks Microsoft build into XP
    Pro. Matrox on the other hand have for years been making graphics cards for
    use with dual monitors-I think even Windows 98 was supported. As for your
    NEC try starting windows in safe mode with only the NEC connected. If you
    get a picture then its a driver issue. Safe mode uses very basic video
    drivers that work with most monitors.

    Chelsea

    Hi Shenan,
    Many appologies everyone. Shenan is quite right, both Home and Pro both now
    support dual monitors according to the product spec sheets on Microsoft.com.
    Very sorry for throwing in a red herring. I'm not sure if I dreamt it now,
    but wern't there posts here a few years back asking how to patch XP Home
    with code from Pro to enable "Dualview" as Microsoft marketing calls it?
    Anyhow I'm afraid this doesn't answer NR's original question.

    Chelsea

NEC Monitors Windows XP