wondows xp
512mb of ram
p4 1.60 ghz
adsl modem

I was running 8-9 applications:

2 internet exployer page,
getright
msn hotmail
All Seeing Eye (server browser for online games)
msn messanger

I was downloading and when the download reached 100% an error accured about the download. I had to open up another window. Then this message appeared:

"Your system is low of memory. Windows is increasing the size of your virtual memory paging file. During this process memory request for some applications may be denied."

Then I pressed "ok" and another message appeared:

"the application failed to initialise properly. (0xc000012d). Click ok to terminate the application".

I pressed "OK". I'm guessing that this message, the second one is from my download. I also noticed that in my "windows task manager" some application don't respond for a while.

I did a full system scan with Norton anti-virus with everything updated and no virus were found. A few weeks ago I had the blast virus though. And used a tool to remove it. But the damage to my pc is still there I guess. How can I fix this, please help. I don't think this is normal. Something not working properly is lowering my memory, right?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Zemuron on 09/20/03 05:26 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

kinetic_tw

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
Or you could just be stuffing too much stuff into memory at once. Try increasing the size of your page file. It should already be set to 768, try increasing it to 1024.

If you still get the same error doing different things, then it'd be time to consider troubleshooting.

zemuron

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
How exactly can I go see my page file and increase it?

I only had like 9 applications running. I said them on my post that started this thread. That's too much stuff into memory??????????

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Zemuron on 09/21/03 00:17 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

grassapa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
right click MY COMPUTER
click properties
click Advanced tab
click settings in the performance area
click advanced tab

there is where you set your swap space, make it bigger so windows can use more space in your hd for virtual memory

--------------------------------------------------
My computer is so fast it proves the theory of relativity wrong... :eek:

zemuron

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
When I click on "change" there's 2 places where I can change it. There's "initial size(mb)" currently at 384. And there's "Maximum size(mb)" currently at 768. Which one do I change? And what will happen if I increase it to much? I play games often on my computer. Will I effect the performance of my games?

kinetic_tw

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
Change initial size to 768, maximum size to 1536. Try running your computer like that for a while to see if you still get any memory errors.

It will not adversly affect the performance of your programs.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
""some application don't respond for a while"" - that is usual with XP.

How full yer harddrive is?

But in any case, sollution - win2k!

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...