Rumor: Apple to Give White MacBook a Revamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

cekasone

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I would definitely consider buying a Mac if they were cheaper, maybe sub $700. I like the way the MacBooks look however I'm no fan of OS X.

raabscuttle

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Just another PC disguised as a MAC - wait all MACs are that now really, aren't they (considering that the same companies actually *make* the MACs and PCs)...

awaken688

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
I think a lot of people are looking to move away from Windows. Windows 7 may fix that desire to some degree, but I know many people who don't want to deal with all the pop-ups asking about updating software, installing patches, etc... Granted they are older, but there is still demand for the "idea" of the Mac. At $1000, it is hard to make the leap for many when they see the PC at $500. If Apple hits the $799 mark for the base MacBook, I think a lot more people will reconsider trying it out.

raabscuttle

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
P7450 processor. Not bad for a 13.3" lappy actually.. Apple is not stupid enough to let OS X be run on slow, slow processors (unlike M$).

allenpan

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
about constently update...well mac does "EXACTLY" the same with the auto update, the only difference is it just jump up and down in the dock....for antivirus,....most mac user does not even know they caught virus, intead just think their mac is jsut slower and inferior other people's pc....

G

I always hear the "You have to pay for antivirus for a PC, that makes up the cost difference." In 12 years, I have never paid for antivirus for a windows based system. You're paying $500 (or more) for a look (that I personally don't like, so it's subjective) and a apple logo (You can always install your favorite OS on whatever system - oh wait you can't legitimately do that with OSX)

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
[citation][nom]awaken688[/nom]I think a lot of people are looking to move away from Windows. Windows 7 may fix that desire to some degree, but I know many people who don't want to deal with all the pop-ups asking about updating software, installing patches, etc... Granted they are older, but there is still demand for the "idea" of the Mac. At $1000, it is hard to make the leap for many when they see the PC at $500. If Apple hits the $799 mark for the base MacBook, I think a lot more people will reconsider trying it out.[/citation]
I still don't buy the idea of a lot of people wanting to move away from WinOS. It is so common, that nowadays you can't find an app that does not run on it (except for the MacOS dedicated apps that come with it)...so, I guess you will have to reconsider the idea...
As someone said also, the Macs are updating as well, and if you like to live on the edge try not to install antivirus on your system...see what happens.

jasperjones

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
If I want to run a *nix, I opt for Linux, not for OS X. My employer put an iMac in my office a year ago. By now, my whole HDD is ext3. I'm running Ubuntu with occasional Windows XP under VirtualBox. I got rid of the HFS+ partition about 8 months ago--I couldn't take OS X anymore.

Under the premise that you don't like OS X, I feel buying a MacBook is a bad proposition, as I don't exactly consider Apple to be the price leader. If Apple products were cheaper, I'd definitely consider buying a MacBook or MBP as my next laptop. Hardware-wise, I like Apple. If they only were a tad cheaper...

powerbaselx

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
"If Apple's products were cheaper, would you consider purchasing an Apple notebook? Let us know in the comments below!"

My answer is: yes, of course.

Think of a 40% price reduction on the entry MacBook White 13". (e.g $1000 should become $600).

G

It's still the most overpriced, cheapo laptop with a screen that's WAY too small. For $1000 I'd want a bigger screen, period. I have some friends with older plastic Macbooks(G4), every last one of them is falling apart...

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
I run a mix of Vista 64 and XP on the four computers we have in the house right now but if the price is right i would move to apple machines without much trouble. I'd keep my best Vista 64/AMD/SLi gaming rig and the rest could be changed over to OSX/iLife/iWork units with absolutely zero loss of usability for the family at all.

Actually the wife would probably find it easier to do the things she does now on the OSX machine instead of the windows/office machine she uses now. All she needs is a computer to surf the web, check email, type up a document once in awhile, and work with pictures from our digital cameras. She could care less about any other applications out there other than web browser, text editor, photo editor and email client. I've listened to her scream at Word about five times since i sat down at the computer today because it keeps reformatting her text in ways that she doesn't want.

jawshoeaw

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
$750 is the magic number for me. And that's no nonsense like 1 GB RAM or teeny HDD. 80GB SSD and I'd pay $1000.

Regarding screen size - bigger is not better. 13.3 is a sweet spot. Make it brighter and offer non-glossy.

I just priced out decent Dell systems and there's nothing there for less than $750

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]KawiNinjaZX[/nom]You are paying more for things like design and the OS. Also, you don't have to buy anti-virus, over a few years that saves you some money.[/citation]
Why is Apple the only company to charge for "design".

I like other laptops as much or more the apples for appearance.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
Everyone of us can go rip off a copy of OS X right now and install it on our machines... But we don't, because OS X sucks.

Its over priced hardware with a shitty OS... I will never pay Apple Tax.

I would be more friendly to Apple if the prices were competative... I would likely even give it a chance. (Although I have used OSX a fair amount and don't over like it)

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]jawshoeaw[/nom]$750 is the magic number for me. And that's no nonsense like 1 GB RAM or teeny HDD. 80GB SSD and I'd pay $1000. Regarding screen size - bigger is not better. 13.3 is a sweet spot. Make it brighter and offer non-glossy.I just priced out decent Dell systems and there's nothing there for less than $750[/citation]
Dell... LOL

thejj924

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
honestly apple knows how to design their products slick and slim and somewhat easy to use ( except for OSX) but thats because im used to windows. Also if they had more compadability with hardware like Core i7 with DDR3 Ram and Overclocking and ATI Radeon 4850 Support i would deff consider Apple more.

Best Selling MP3 Player:
1. Apple iPod Classic

Best Selling Touch Screen Phone:
1. Apple iPhone

There Notebooks Do not Compare to PCs for hardware and compatibility. compared to their other non computer products.

Status
Not open for further replies.