Help! Illegal copy of XP Professional

July 10, 2005 1:46:04 PM

Last year I purchased a copy of XP Professional on eBay. Prior to that, I
purchased Windows 2000 Professional from Best Buy - it was a legal copy and I
still have it. I wanted to upgrade/change to XP so I was hoping to get a
less expensive purchase via eBay. Everything was fine with it until this
week when I tried to download an upgrade to Windows Media Player 10. My
licenses were out of wack and when I called Microsoft for support, they told
me it was an OEM version and they didn't support those versions. I had no
idea I purchased an OEM version. I want a legal copy of XP and don't want to
have to reformat my harddrive. Since XP Professional is already on my
computer, if I "re-buy" the op-sys, can I load it over this OEM version? Or
do I have to reformat?

--
Thanks so much
Tea

TeaCrumpets wrote:
> Last year I purchased a copy of XP Professional on eBay. Prior to that, I
> purchased Windows 2000 Professional from Best Buy - it was a legal copy and I
> still have it. I wanted to upgrade/change to XP so I was hoping to get a
> less expensive purchase via eBay.

Granted, one should be very careful buying any software on eBay, as
eBay makes no prior effort to ensure that such sales are legitimate;
they react only when someone files a complaint. (And then all that
really happens is the seller of the pirated software returns using a
different alias, to continue selling illegitimate licenses.)

> Everything was fine with it until this
> week when I tried to download an upgrade to Windows Media Player 10. My
> licenses were out of wack and when I called Microsoft for support, they told
> me it was an OEM version and they didn't support those versions.

How, exactly, was your license "out of whack?" But anyway, it's true
that Microsoft does not and cannot support OEM installations. You'll
need to turn to whomever sold you that OEM license for support.

> I had no
> idea I purchased an OEM version.

Then you should learn to pay more attention when shopping.

> I want a legal copy of XP and don't want to
> have to reformat my harddrive.

What makes you think that your copy of WinXP is not "legal?" Just
because you have an OEM license, it doesn't mean that you don't have a
legitimate license. Or did you perhaps purchase a branded OEM CD? (If
so, there goes your claim of not knowing it was an OEM license.)

> Since XP Professional is already on my
> computer, if I "re-buy" the op-sys, can I load it over this OEM version? Or
> do I have to reformat?

You shouldn't need to reformat. You can use a _legitimate_ full
copy of WinXP Pro to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade)
installation, using the new CD and Product Key.

http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=K...;EN-US;Q315341

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
July 10, 2005 4:35:09 PM

"TeaCrumpets" <TeaCrumpets@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Last year I purchased a copy of XP Professional on eBay. Prior to
> that, I
> purchased Windows 2000 Professional from Best Buy - it was a legal
> copy and I
> still have it. I wanted to upgrade/change to XP so I was hoping to
> get a
> less expensive purchase via eBay. Everything was fine with it until
> this
> week when I tried to download an upgrade to Windows Media Player 10.
> My
> licenses were out of wack and when I called Microsoft for support,
> they told
> me it was an OEM version and they didn't support those versions. I
> had no
> idea I purchased an OEM version. I want a legal copy of XP and don't
> want to
> have to reformat my harddrive. Since XP Professional is already on my
> computer, if I "re-buy" the op-sys, can I load it over this OEM
> version? Or
> do I have to reformat?

"Out of whack" is a meaningless statement. Tells us NOTHING! Could be
the OEM version is a retail version that only needs to be sold with
qualifying hardware (I got mine with a SATA drive cable). Could be it
is a vendor-specific OEM version and may even be BIOS-locked to that
computer vendor's brand and model. Since you never described what
happened when you attempted to upgrade the Windows Media Player then
obviously no one can address that particular problem.

OEM versions, whether retail (with qualifying hardware) or
vendor-specific versions, do not perform upgrades. They will wipe the
partition and do a *full* fresh install. You need a retail full- or
upgrade-version to perform an upgrade. However, the only "upgrade" that
a retail version will do over an OEM version is to perform an in-place
upgrade (i.e., Repair) since there is nothing to upgrade but maybe
something to fix. That means the license won't change (the product code
generated from the product key used for your OEM install will still be
in-place after the repair). If the OEM version is illegal, pirated, or
whatever "whacked" means, then you'll have to perform a fresh install of
the retail version of Windows XP which means you wipe your partition
(after first backing up your data files). AFAIK, the product code does
not change by performing a repair.
July 10, 2005 5:22:56 PM

Have had no problems updating OEM versions through Microsoft Update site.
Explain "licenses were out of whack"? Did you activate XP? Were you
informed the product key was invalid or previously used or the number of
copies under the license had been reached or exceeded? Did you voluntarily
use the update sites offer to verify the legitimacy of your XP version?
AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
Myers, FL
July 10, 2005 6:32:25 PM

There are some, albeit not all, OEM XP versions which do upgrades and not a
clean install. From a previous post:

XP Pro upgrade CD contains the following sub-folders in the I386 folder
WIN9XMIG, WIN9XUPG AND WINNTUPG.
XP Pro full version CD does not - all other XP files are identical in both
versions. You can "convert" a full version XP by copying the XP CD to a
folder on the HD - from an upgrade CD version - copy the above folders to
the I386 sub-folder on the HD - copy the files from the HD to a CD and you
now have an "upgrade" XP CD - or you can run
setup from the HD folder. Obverse is possible - create XP full from XP
upgrade CD.

AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
Myers, FL
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------:
July 10, 2005 7:56:07 PM

"Al Romanosky" <ajrjdr@comcast.net> wrote in message
> There are some, albeit not all, OEM XP versions which do upgrades and
> not a clean install. From a previous post:
>
> XP Pro upgrade CD contains ...

That is not a retail or vendor-specific OEM version. That is a non-OEM
retail "upgrade" version (you can only upgrade by having a prior
qualifying version of Windows).

> XP Pro full version CD ...

That is also not a retail or vendor-specific OEM version. That is a
retail "full" version (you can perform a full install or an upgrade).

See http://www.tek-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=4004 where it says, "ALL OEM
copies can only be installed clean: (that is, the hard drive must be
formatted before XP OEM can be installed). They cannot be used to
perform an upgrade of an existing Operating System so make sure you back
up all necessary data and files BEFORE installing XP OEM, since the
format of the Hard Drive will erase ALL data on it."

If you Google around, you'll find articles, like
http://www.petri.co.il/use_oem_version_to_upgrade_xp.ht..., which make it
appear that you could change an OEM's behavior so it will upgrade
instead of wipe and clean install. However, the article also mentioned
problems that result in using that technique. Maybe that's the
illegally distributed version that the OP got stuck with, but until the
OP explains what is meant by "out of whack" then no one knows what to
suggest to the OP.
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 12:56:03 AM

> Granted, one should be very careful buying any software on eBay
>
> > Everything was fine with it until this
> > week when I tried to download an upgrade to Windows Media Player 10. My
> > licenses were out of wack and when I called Microsoft for support, they told
> > me it was an OEM version and they didn't support those versions.
>

> How, exactly, was your license "out of whack?" But anyway, it's true
> that Microsoft does not and cannot support OEM installations. You'll
> need to turn to whomever sold you that OEM license for support.

Please excuse my technical shortcomings. I will in the future write down
all error messages before consulting this help group. As for the "out of
whack", after the Windows media player 10 finished upgrading it gave me an
error message (and I apologize for not having the exact words) saying that it
could not restore/upgrade/reset/renew my licenses. It was one of those words
and I know they mean different things to all of you gentlemen, but to me, a
novice, they mean the same: problem with transferring licenses from Media
Player 9 to 10. Since then, I have done a system restore to the day before I
downloaded Media Player 10 and no longer have a problem as I am able to
download my music again using my Media Player 9. I don't know why I can't
upgrade which is why I called Microsoft for help and then learned it was an
OEM version.

> > I want a legal copy of XP and don't want to
> > have to reformat my harddrive.
>

> What makes you think that your copy of WinXP is not "legal?" Just
> because you have an OEM license, it doesn't mean that you don't have a
> legitimate license. Or did you perhaps purchase a branded OEM CD? (If
> so, there goes your claim of not knowing it was an OEM license.)

I don't know what you mean by "branded OEM". I thought I was buying a used
retail-purchased XP. The auction stated this was a previously owned and that
there was no manual or box, just the CD and it was in good condition. I had
no problem installing it on my computer using the product key so there were
no red flags to warn me. I did not know at the time that software was
bundled JUST for computers vs retail. Again, I'm not as technical as all of
you and this is new to me. When MS told me they couldn't support it because
it was OEM I assumed that meant it was illegal. So, if OEM licenses are
legal, then why won't Microsoft support me?
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 1:06:03 AM

--"Al Romanosky" wrote:

> Have had no problems updating OEM versions through Microsoft Update site.
> Explain "licenses were out of whack"?

Please see first reply to "Bruce Chambers"

> Did you activate XP? Were you
> informed the product key was invalid or previously used or the number of
> copies under the license had been reached or exceeded? Did you voluntarily
> use the update sites offer to verify the legitimacy of your XP version?

It was a year ago, but I do believe I must have activated XP. I have
downloaded all updates even through SP2 without specific-to-me problems. I
have had the same problems others have had with SP2 but the actual updates
install fine. Only problems with the Media Player update and never would
have known I didn't have a regular copy of XP had I not called Microsoft for
support. I was informed the product key was valid when I purchased it and it
has acted "valid" up until this past week.

The Media Player update problem is probably totally unrelated to my license
with XP, the problem is I can't find out what the problem is since they won't
provide support to me. I don't want to think about what other things I might
need support on in the future which is why I want to get rid of this OEM
version and install a retail version.

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 1:10:01 AM

"Vanguard" wrote:

> "Out of whack" is a meaningless statement. Tells us NOTHING! Could be
> the OEM version is a retail version that only needs to be sold with
> qualifying hardware (I got mine with a SATA drive cable). Could be it
> is a vendor-specific OEM version and may even be BIOS-locked to that
> computer vendor's brand and model. Since you never described what
> happened when you attempted to upgrade the Windows Media Player then
> obviously no one can address that particular problem.

When it gave me the error message after the upgrade that
"renewing/resetting/upgrading/restoring" my licenses failed, I interpreted
that to mean my licenses were "out of whack." I did not write down the exact
words used and I apologize. I will be more prepared in the future when
asking for help. I figured it was just a little problem that could be
quickly fixed by calling support. That's when I discovered my license was
OEM.

> If the OEM version is illegal, pirated, or
> whatever "whacked" means, then you'll have to perform a fresh install

I didn't say my XP version was "whacked" but that MS told me the license was
an OEM license. At that time I did not know the technical background of
retail vs. OEM vs. priated etc. This week has been a learning experience for
me. I thought I was buying a previously owned retail-purchased copy and that
the license was being transferred to me in the purchase which at the time I
understood to be legal. I still think that is.
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 1:15:01 AM

YIKES! This is all WAY over my head. I think I'll buy a full version, not
an upgrade, and do a fresh, clean install. It's a headache to backup all my
digital photos (1000's of 'em) and my music, but it seems to sound easier to
me at this point. Then, at least I can get support from MS in the future
when little things like this happen.

If you have any advice on why the license thing with Media Player 10
happened, I'd love to hear it, otherwise,

Thank you to all your replies and attention, gentlemen.
July 12, 2005 10:33:21 AM

> YIKES! This is all WAY over my head. I think I'll buy a full
> version, not
> an upgrade, and do a fresh, clean install. It's a headache to backup
> all my
> digital photos (1000's of 'em) and my music, but it seems to sound
> easier to
> me at this point. Then, at least I can get support from MS in the
> future
> when little things like this happen.
>
> If you have any advice on why the license thing with Media Player 10
> happened, I'd love to hear it, otherwise,
>
> Thank you to all your replies and attention, gentlemen.

You only get 2 included support calls to Microsoft for the retail
version. Is it worth the extra price of a non-OEM version for those 2
free calls? For example pricing, Windows XP SP-2 OEM at $146
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1683...) or
Windows XP SP-2 retail "upgrade" at $200
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1683...). So
are those 2 calls included in the retail version worth the $54?

As for licenses, it was probably assumed that you meant the license for
Windows XP since your description of your problem has remained vague.
However, media content can also be licensed. A content provider or
author can protect their content by requiring a license to play it. If
you look in WMP, it shows you the licenses for the audio/video content
for which you have garnered their licenses needed to play their content
(click on the Library tab, click the file, and look under the File ->
Properties -> License menu). These are licenses for the music, not for
the OS or WMP. Look under WMP's Tools -> Manage Licences to see where
are [expected for] the files for your licenses. I don't download any
licensed music (since I don't bother listening or buying music from the
web) so I can't check what would be under "%userprofile%\My Documents\My
Music\License Backup" (the default location for me shown by WMP).
July 12, 2005 3:48:36 PM

Hello TeaCrumpets,
OEM software is not necessarily illegal or pirated. Microsoft just sells its
software to Original Equipment Manufacturers- OEMs' at a fraction of the
cost that they would charge you or I. The reason is OEMs buy thousands of
copies not just one and so get an enormous volume purchase discount. There
are lots of versions of Windows XP. There is even a corporate version which
doesn't require product activation. It is exactly the same as the version
you buy in a shop, the difference is in the CD key which switches off
activation. Similarly your OEM copy of XP is most likely a full version. It
clearly is not machine specific as it loaded on your PC in the first place,
but also SP2 checks for pirated versions and will not load on most cracked
or pirated versions of Windows.

If you are still concerned go to the Microsoft website download area and
select something to download-not a Service Pack just something small-most
Microsoft downloads require a check to be made on your copy of Windows XP
to ensure it is genuine. This test should determine for you whether you have
a genuine or pirated version as far as Microsoft is concerned. My guess is
your copy of XP will pass. When MS tells you they don't support OEM
versions, that simply means they expect the original supplier of the machine
hosting the OEM version to be responsible for technical support.

I do not know a lot about media player 10, but I do know that it
incorporates new technology to for protecting the copyright on music. From
what I have heard this can be quite a pain, particularly if you have a lot
of multimedia files like music which have been acquired shall we say in a
slightly shady way. I understand Player 10 can detect music that has been
shared ie downloaded from someone without being purchased. I would suspect
the messages you are receiving about licences relates to detection of
something that media player believes to have breached the copyright of a
music or video provider. If I am correct, installing another version of
Windows will not fix the media player. I think your best route would be to
install another media player-there are lots of them around and most do not
attempt to police your PC. As you can probably tell I have no shares in a
record company-hope that helps

Chelsea

> "Vanguard" wrote:
>
>> "Out of whack" is a meaningless statement. Tells us NOTHING! Could be
>> the OEM version is a retail version that only needs to be sold with
>> qualifying hardware (I got mine with a SATA drive cable). Could be it
>> is a vendor-specific OEM version and may even be BIOS-locked to that
>> computer vendor's brand and model. Since you never described what
>> happened when you attempted to upgrade the Windows Media Player then
>> obviously no one can address that particular problem.
>
> When it gave me the error message after the upgrade that
> "renewing/resetting/upgrading/restoring" my licenses failed, I
> interpreted
> that to mean my licenses were "out of whack." I did not write down the
> exact
> words used and I apologize. I will be more prepared in the future when
> asking for help. I figured it was just a little problem that could be
> quickly fixed by calling support. That's when I discovered my license was
> OEM.
>>
>> If the OEM version is illegal, pirated, or
>> whatever "whacked" means, then you'll have to perform a fresh install
>
> I didn't say my XP version was "whacked" but that MS told me the license
> was
> an OEM license. At that time I did not know the technical background of
> retail vs. OEM vs. priated etc. This week has been a learning experience
> for
> me. I thought I was buying a previously owned retail-purchased copy and
> that
> the license was being transferred to me in the purchase which at the time
> understood to be legal. I still think that is.
July 12, 2005 3:48:37 PM

"Chelsea" <gallium1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello TeaCrumpets,
> OEM software is not necessarily illegal or pirated. Microsoft just
> sells its software to Original Equipment Manufacturers- OEMs' at a
> fraction of the cost that they would charge you or I.

Microsoft also sells retail versions of OEM versions but through
distributors (with the caveat that it be purchased with qualifying
hardware). So the OEM version is from Microsoft rather than a
vendor-customized OEM version, like from Dell. The reason the OEM
version which you buy just one instance thereof being cheaper is that
you are not paying for support (and why Microsoft won't provide support
because you didn't pay for it). Those 2 included tech calls with the
full-version retail copy is because you paid more than for the
full-version OEM copy. While the OEMs get a price break due to volume
sales, you still get a price break when buying just one instance because
you aren't paying for support.

> There is even a corporate version which doesn't require product
> activation.

The "Corporate Edition" is a pirated copy. It is one license or
instance stripped out from a purchase of a Volume License. When you
purchase the volume license, all instances included within that volume
license are to be used with the same organization, so selling off one of
its licenses is a violation of the terms of sale when you got the volume
license. Some shady sellers at eBay used to do that with QuickBooks,
too, where they would buy the 5-license pack, make their own 4 copies
and sell off those, and the user wouldn't know they had a pirated copy
until they called tech support.

> I do not know a lot about media player 10, but I do know that it
> incorporates new technology to for protecting the copyright on music.

DRM (Digital Rights Management) was added back in version 9 of WMP.

Maybe the DRM database is corrupted
(http://support.microsoft.com/?id=810422).
July 12, 2005 3:54:40 PM

> There are lots of versions of Windows XP. There is even a corporate
version which
> doesn't require product activation.

Wrong. this is a windows "myth". There IS no "corporate" version. Anything
sold as "corporate" version is pirated.
July 12, 2005 4:10:50 PM

"Gordon" <gordon@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> "Chelsea" <gallium1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> There are lots of versions of Windows XP. There is even a corporate
> version which
>> doesn't require product activation.
>
> Wrong. this is a windows "myth". There IS no "corporate" version. Anything
> sold as "corporate" version is pirated.

Only wrong in that its not sold as XP Corporate Edition-I did not want to go
into unnecessary detail. Check here
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321880#appliesto
Microsoft clearly believe they produce something for volume licence buyers!

Chelsea
July 12, 2005 4:26:11 PM

Sorry not the link I intended. If anyone is interested about the various
versions of XP take a look here http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=226
This tells you how to distinguish between different versions on the basis of
whats stamped on the CD
Chelsea

"Chelsea" <gallium1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o BDLhJthFHA.3568@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

> "Gordon" <gordon@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
>> "Chelsea" <gallium1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> There are lots of versions of Windows XP. There is even a corporate
>> version which
>>> doesn't require product activation.
>>
>> Wrong. this is a windows "myth". There IS no "corporate" version.
>> Anything
>> sold as "corporate" version is pirated.
>>

> Only wrong in that its not sold as XP Corporate Edition-I did not want to
> go into unnecessary detail. Check here
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321880#appliesto
> Microsoft clearly believe they produce something for volume licence
> buyers!
>
> Chelsea

July 12, 2005 4:31:52 PM

Chelsea" <gallium1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o BDLhJthFHA.3568@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

> "Gordon" <gordon@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> > "Chelsea" <gallium1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> There are lots of versions of Windows XP. There is even a corporate
> > version which
> >> doesn't require product activation.
> >
> > Wrong. this is a windows "myth". There IS no "corporate" version.
Anything
> > sold as "corporate" version is pirated.
> >

> Only wrong in that its not sold as XP Corporate Edition-I did not want to
go
> into unnecessary detail. Check here
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321880#appliesto
> Microsoft clearly believe they produce something for volume licence
buyers!

> Chelsea

A complete confusion! The site you posted is for TOOLS that can be used to
assist with the installation of many instances of XP in a corporate
ENVIRONMENT - there is NO "corporate" version of XP.
There are Volume Licensing Key versions which don't need activating, but
this is strictly for large corporations. Thereb is no "legal" version of
windows called "corporate", and especially not for home use!
July 12, 2005 5:03:41 PM

Hi Gordon,
I was trying to help someone who was obviously getting totally submerged by
the technical responses in the thread. I did not want to talk about volume
licencing of XP and simply was making the point that Microsoft Windows XP as
boxed and sold in the local computer store is not the only version of
Windows available. As you will know there are Retail, OEM, VLP and also
Trials-then there are the pirated versions and cracks. If you look at the
link I meant to post you will see that a VLP edition certainly exists and is
not pirated or illegal in anyway. It is true that you need to buy multiple
copies of XP to obtain a VLP CD, but to have said all that in the thread
would have been irrelevent and confusing.

Chelsea

> Chelsea" <gallium1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o BDLhJthFHA.3568@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>
>> "Gordon" <gordon@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
>> > "Chelsea" <gallium1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > version which
>> >
>> > Wrong. this is a windows "myth". There IS no "corporate" version.
> Anything
>> > sold as "corporate" version is pirated.
>> >

>> Only wrong in that its not sold as XP Corporate Edition-I did not want to
> go
>> into unnecessary detail. Check here
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321880#appliesto
>> Microsoft clearly believe they produce something for volume licence
> buyers!
>>
>> Chelsea
>>

> A complete confusion! The site you posted is for TOOLS that can be used to
> assist with the installation of many instances of XP in a corporate
> ENVIRONMENT - there is NO "corporate" version of XP.
> There are Volume Licensing Key versions which don't need activating, but
> this is strictly for large corporations. Thereb is no "legal" version of
> windows called "corporate", and especially not for home use!

July 12, 2005 5:25:22 PM

Thank you Vanguard,
I know Microsoft sell OEM versions through distributors, which can be bought
very cheaply if you also buy a cable or system fan or other minor hardware,
but I wasn't discussing their business model, rather trying to give a simple
answer to a fairly simple question. For what its worth there are great deals
to be had on Office as well if you buy OEM.
I don't believe I said anything about how XP sold under the Volume licence
program should be deployed, I would have thought it obvious that the
licences were for use within the same organisation! Again though I can't see
how this helps the original questioner. Picking up on whether an XP VLP
version is called Corporate Edition or not is just going to confuse and
besides is irrelevant to the original question.

As for DRM being introduced in media player 9-thanks for the correction. I'm
not a fan of media player-I prefer WinAmp, but please folks don't start a
debate about that lol.

Chelsea

"Vanguard" <Vangu@rd.invalid> wrote in message
news:o 7ShsethFHA.3436@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> "Chelsea" <gallium1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hello TeaCrumpets,
>> OEM software is not necessarily illegal or pirated. Microsoft just sells
>> its software to Original Equipment Manufacturers- OEMs' at a fraction of
>> the cost that they would charge you or I.
>
> Microsoft also sells retail versions of OEM versions but through
> distributors (with the caveat that it be purchased with qualifying
> hardware). So the OEM version is from Microsoft rather than a
> vendor-customized OEM version, like from Dell. The reason the OEM version
> which you buy just one instance thereof being cheaper is that you are not
> paying for support (and why Microsoft won't provide support because you
> didn't pay for it). Those 2 included tech calls with the full-version
> retail copy is because you paid more than for the full-version OEM copy.
> While the OEMs get a price break due to volume sales, you still get a
> price break when buying just one instance because you aren't paying for
> support.
>
>> There is even a corporate version which doesn't require product
>> activation.
>
> The "Corporate Edition" is a pirated copy. It is one license or instance
> stripped out from a purchase of a Volume License. When you purchase the
> volume license, all instances included within that volume license are to
> be used with the same organization, so selling off one of its licenses is
> a violation of the terms of sale when you got the volume license. Some
> shady sellers at eBay used to do that with QuickBooks, too, where they
> would buy the 5-license pack, make their own 4 copies and sell off those,
> and the user wouldn't know they had a pirated copy until they called tech
> support.
>
>> I do not know a lot about media player 10, but I do know that it
>> incorporates new technology to for protecting the copyright on music.
>
> DRM (Digital Rights Management) was added back in version 9 of WMP.
>
> Maybe the DRM database is corrupted
> (http://support.microsoft.com/?id=810422).
July 12, 2005 5:25:23 PM

> Thank you Vanguard,
> I know Microsoft sell OEM versions through distributors, which can be
> bought very cheaply if you also buy a cable or system fan or other
> minor hardware, but I wasn't discussing their business model, rather
> trying to give a simple answer to a fairly simple question. For what
> its worth there are great deals to be had on Office as well if you buy
> OEM.

You made it sound like the only reason (because that's the only one you
mentioned) that the OEM version is cheaper is due to volume purchasing
by OEMs. I brought up that it is also cheaper for a 1-license copy
because of the lack of support (because you didn't pay for it).

> I don't believe I said anything about how XP sold under the Volume
> licence program should be deployed, I would have thought it obvious
> that the licences were for use within the same organisation! Again
> though I can't see how this helps the original questioner. Picking up
> on whether an XP VLP version is called Corporate Edition or not is
> just going to confuse and besides is irrelevant to the original
> question.

So why did *YOU* bring up the "Corporate Edition"? If it was
irrelevant, why did you mention it? Only because YOU mentioned the
Corporate Edition is why I then responded that the version so named is a
pirated copy.
July 12, 2005 6:53:24 PM

Hi Vanguard,
I guess it did read that way. Sometimes by trying to be concise its possible
to be ambiguous like that. Anyhow I think TeaCrumpets looks more likely to
be buying a full boxed version. It would be interesting to know if it solves
the problem.

> You made it sound like the only reason (because that's the only one you
> mentioned) that the OEM version is cheaper is due to volume purchasing by
> OEMs. I brought up that it is also cheaper for a 1-license copy because
> of the lack of support (because you didn't pay for it).
>
>> I don't believe I said anything about how XP sold under the Volume
>> licence program should be deployed, I would have thought it obvious that
>> the licences were for use within the same organisation! Again though I
>> can't see how this helps the original questioner. Picking up on whether
>> an XP VLP version is called Corporate Edition or not is just going to
>> confuse and besides is irrelevant to the original question.
>
> So why did *YOU* bring up the "Corporate Edition"? If it was irrelevant,
> why did you mention it? Only because YOU mentioned the Corporate Edition
> is why I then responded that the version so named is a pirated copy.

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 9:34:01 PM

Geeeeeez people.
--
Have you ever stopped to think, and forget to start again?

"Chelsea" wrote:

> Hi Vanguard,
> I guess it did read that way. Sometimes by trying to be concise its possible
> to be ambiguous like that. Anyhow I think TeaCrumpets looks more likely to
> be buying a full boxed version. It would be interesting to know if it solves
> the problem.
>
> Chelsea
>
> "Vanguard" <Vangu@rd.invalid> wrote in message
> >
> > You made it sound like the only reason (because that's the only one you
> > mentioned) that the OEM version is cheaper is due to volume purchasing by
> > OEMs. I brought up that it is also cheaper for a 1-license copy because
> > of the lack of support (because you didn't pay for it).
> >
> >> I don't believe I said anything about how XP sold under the Volume
> >> licence program should be deployed, I would have thought it obvious that
> >> the licences were for use within the same organisation! Again though I
> >> can't see how this helps the original questioner. Picking up on whether
> >> an XP VLP version is called Corporate Edition or not is just going to
> >> confuse and besides is irrelevant to the original question.
> >
> > So why did *YOU* bring up the "Corporate Edition"? If it was irrelevant,
> > why did you mention it? Only because YOU mentioned the Corporate Edition
> > is why I then responded that the version so named is a pirated copy.

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 11:36:28 PM

Chelsea wrote:

> Only wrong in that its not sold as XP Corporate Edition-I did not want to go
> into unnecessary detail. Check here
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321880#appliesto
> Microsoft clearly believe they produce something for volume licence buyers!
>
> Chelsea

True, there's a Volume Licensing program. But there is still no such
thing as WinXP "Corporate Edition." That is a term applied exclusively
to pirated (iow, stolen) copies of the Volume Licensed WinXP Pro by the
"warez" aficionados.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
July 13, 2005 8:59:16 PM

> True, there's a Volume Licensing program. But there is still no such
> thing as WinXP "Corporate Edition." That is a term applied exclusively to
> pirated (iow, stolen) copies of the Volume Licensed WinXP Pro by the
> "warez" aficionados.

Hi Bruce,
I have a VLP version of XP and also Server 2003 as I'm a member the
Microsoft Partnership Program. They don't say Corporate Edition on their
CDs, but that is their target market. Some Warez sites may well have
something called XP Corporate Edition, but they don't own the copyright on
the name and other people use it as well. If you look at
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=226 You will see reference to not
one but two corporate/volume WinXP CDs. Is it really that necessary to be
so picky about terminology-it was not as if I advised anyone to go out and
get Win XP Corporate edition is it?

Chelsea
July 13, 2005 9:02:54 PM

Not sure what that means, but if you are tired of this thread that makes two
of us lol.

Chelsea

"TheNightowl" <TheNightowl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Geeeeeez people.
> --
> Have you ever stopped to think, and forget to start again?

Anonymous
July 14, 2005 12:17:01 AM

Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My! :)
Actually, you are all wonderful. Helpful, precise in every way and I thank
all of you for your time. Few points/clarifications:

"Chelsea" wrote:

>Hello TeaCrumpets,
>
>I do not know a lot about media player 10, but I do know that it
>incorporates new technology to for protecting the copyright on music. From
>what I have heard this can be quite a pain, particularly if you have a lot
>of multimedia files like music which have been acquired shall we say in a
>slightly shady way. I understand Player 10 can detect music that has been
>shared ie downloaded from someone without being purchased. I would suspect
>the messages you are receiving about licences relates to detection of
>something that media player believes to have breached the copyright of a
>music or video provider. If I am correct, installing another version of
>Windows will not fix the media player. I think your best route would be to
>install another media player-there are lots of them around and most do not
>attempt to police your PC. As you can probably tell I have no shares in a
>record company-hope that helps

The only music I ever downloaded was last week (first time - I'm so wet
behind the ears!) and all of it was off of MSN Music. That's why I was so
confused that my licenses were a problem with the Media Player 10 install.
Media Player is making me crazy so I will try the suggestions many of you
have made. I have not had a problem downloading music and playing/burning it
since I restored my computer back to Media Player 9. So clearly there is
something different between the two involving licenses. Thanks to everyone
for being so helpful. I understand ALOT more about XP versions and now
understand that support would have had to come from the original owner's
computer provider. The funny thing is the CD looked retail - I mean it
didn't have "Dell" or "HP" or whatever on the surface of the CD. This will
be the last time I purchase anything that could possibly be OEM because
support is priceless to me.
--
Thanks so much
With regards to all

Chelsea wrote:

> Hi Bruce,
> I have a VLP version of XP and also Server 2003 as I'm a member the
> Microsoft Partnership Program. They don't say Corporate Edition on their
> CDs,

Then you already know that I'm correct. Why are you going on about this?

> but that is their target market.

A "market" does not equal and "edition" or "version."

> Some Warez sites may well have
> something called XP Corporate Edition, but they don't own the copyright on
> the name and other people use it as well.

Only those that don't know any better. Which is why several people
have tried to educate you on the topic.

> If you look at
> http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=226 You will see reference to not
> one but two corporate/volume WinXP CDs.

So? A web site says something, so it must be true? Give this one some
thought, then, why don't you:
http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djublonskopf/Flatearthso...

In the meantime, please provide a link to *any* Microsoft site that
says that there is such a thing as "Windows XP Corporate Edition."

> Is it really that necessary to be
> so picky about terminology-it was not as if I advised anyone to go out and
> get Win XP Corporate edition is it?

Yes, precise terminology is very important when discussing technical
issues. How else can accuracy be assured?

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
July 14, 2005 12:51:21 PM

Oh I give up, this is just a waste of time. If it makes you feel good making
these points then I am glad to be of service. You might however in the long
term find Prozac to be more benificial.

Chelsea

> Chelsea wrote:
>

>> Hi Bruce,
>> I have a VLP version of XP and also Server 2003 as I'm a member the
>> Microsoft Partnership Program. They don't say Corporate Edition on their
>> CDs,
>

> Then you already know that I'm correct. Why are you going on about this?
>

>> but that is their target market.
>

> A "market" does not equal and "edition" or "version."
>

>> Some Warez sites may well have something called XP Corporate Edition, but
>> they don't own the copyright on the name and other people use it as well.
>

> Only those that don't know any better. Which is why several people have
> tried to educate you on the topic.
>

>> If you look at http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=226 You will see
>> reference to not one but two corporate/volume WinXP CDs.
>

> So? A web site says something, so it must be true? Give this one some
> thought, then, why don't you:
> http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djublonskopf/Flatearthso...
>
> In the meantime, please provide a link to *any* Microsoft site that says
> that there is such a thing as "Windows XP Corporate Edition."
>

>> Is it really that necessary to be so picky about terminology-it was not
>> as if I advised anyone to go out and get Win XP Corporate edition is it?
>>

> Yes, precise terminology is very important when discussing technical
> issues. How else can accuracy be assured?
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH
July 14, 2005 12:59:43 PM

Best of luck TeaCrumpet. Try WinAmp http://www.winamp.com/player/ You
might be interested to know in Europe there is a retail version of Windows
XP called Windows XP N It is Windows XP with media player removed., which
shows that the player is not essential for the OS to work.

Chelsea

> Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My! :)
> Actually, you are all wonderful. Helpful, precise in every way and I
> thank
> all of you for your time. Few points/clarifications:
>

> "Chelsea" wrote:
>
>>Hello TeaCrumpets,
>>
>>I do not know a lot about media player 10, but I do know that it
>>incorporates new technology to for protecting the copyright on music. From
>>what I have heard this can be quite a pain, particularly if you have a lot
>>of multimedia files like music which have been acquired shall we say in a
>>slightly shady way. I understand Player 10 can detect music that has been
>>shared ie downloaded from someone without being purchased. I would suspect
>>the messages you are receiving about licences relates to detection of
>>something that media player believes to have breached the copyright of a
>>music or video provider. If I am correct, installing another version of
>>Windows will not fix the media player. I think your best route would be to
>>install another media player-there are lots of them around and most do not
>>attempt to police your PC. As you can probably tell I have no shares in a
>>record company-hope that helps
>

> The only music I ever downloaded was last week (first time - I'm so wet
> behind the ears!) and all of it was off of MSN Music. That's why I was so
> confused that my licenses were a problem with the Media Player 10 install.
> Media Player is making me crazy so I will try the suggestions many of you
> have made. I have not had a problem downloading music and playing/burning
> it
> since I restored my computer back to Media Player 9. So clearly there is
> something different between the two involving licenses. Thanks to
> everyone
> for being so helpful. I understand ALOT more about XP versions and now
> understand that support would have had to come from the original owner's
> computer provider. The funny thing is the CD looked retail - I mean it
> didn't have "Dell" or "HP" or whatever on the surface of the CD. This
> will
> be the last time I purchase anything that could possibly be OEM because
> support is priceless to me.
> --
> Thanks so much
> With regards to all
> Tea

July 14, 2005 3:42:16 PM

He is a notorious Microsoft sycophant and apologist in these groups.

> Oh I give up, this is just a waste of time. If it makes you feel good
> making these points then I am glad to be of service. You might however in
> the long term find Prozac to be more benificial.
>
> Chelsea
>
> "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message
>> Chelsea wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Bruce,
>>> I have a VLP version of XP and also Server 2003 as I'm a member the
>>> Microsoft Partnership Program. They don't say Corporate Edition on their
>>> CDs,
>>

>> Then you already know that I'm correct. Why are you going on about this?
>>

>>> but that is their target market.
>>

>> A "market" does not equal and "edition" or "version."
>>

>>> Some Warez sites may well have something called XP Corporate Edition,
>>> but they don't own the copyright on the name and other people use it as
>>> well.
>>

>> Only those that don't know any better. Which is why several people have
>> tried to educate you on the topic.
>>

>>> If you look at http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=226 You will see
>>> reference to not one but two corporate/volume WinXP CDs.
>>

>> So? A web site says something, so it must be true? Give this one some
>> thought, then, why don't you:
>> http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djublonskopf/Flatearthso...
>>
>> In the meantime, please provide a link to *any* Microsoft site that says
>> that there is such a thing as "Windows XP Corporate Edition."
>>

>>> Is it really that necessary to be so picky about terminology-it was not
>>> as if I advised anyone to go out and get Win XP Corporate edition is it?
>>>

>> Yes, precise terminology is very important when discussing technical
>> issues. How else can accuracy be assured?
>>

>> --
>>
>> Bruce Chambers
>>
>> Help us help you:
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>
>> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
>> both at once. - RAH

Anonymous
July 23, 2005 10:37:14 PM

Gordon Wrote:
> "Chelsea" <gallium1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > There are lots of versions of Windows XP. There is even a corporate
> version which
> > doesn't require product activation.
>
> Wrong. this is a windows "myth". There IS no "corporate" version.
> Anything
> sold as "corporate" version is pirated.

In my previous company (Japanese IT consultancy) we had over 12
different versions of XP not including foreign languages (just
"English" copies). Non tagged actually as Corporate. As a Microsoft
"partner" (haha) we were given a key for CD'S that would register xx
number of times (5+ up to 1000's) before refusing activation. However,
many single CD + key versions did not require activation - and so were
ripe for piracy... some OEM$ specific and some just new SP1/SP2
releases. So the "Corporate" tag may be a mis-label by users but
non-activation copies DO definitely exist legally. Depends on country!

on and on...
An original copy of XP made it out the door of M$ a week or two before
official release (tagged "Devil's Own"). It needs/ed no activation and
was tagged by many downloaders as the "Corporate" version.

In my work in Sony Ericsson Tokyo tho' I used a special "Corporate"
version. This has a key but it never refuses or needs activation (if
you choose to say "no"). Limitless installs for Sony Corp's PC's
wherever they were or whatever brand. Naturally I NEVER copied this CD
or took it home and installed it....

--
hidflectPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
Anonymous

Thanks for trying to help out the original poster...who knows who that was or
what the topic even was anymore.....

People come here for help..and have to watch others try to ridicul you for
trying to help.....c'mon guys...what were these boards intended for...to have
a peeing contest...

Thanks again Chelsea for trying

BTW..I am having an issue with my VLP of XP, which does require activiation,
however recentely, windows wont validate it through the tools...you think I
am going to post a question...probably not...I mean what if I spell something
wrong or use the wrong terminology...geez

!