Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Expanded Network: Can someone explain this?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
July 28, 2005 9:17:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

Ok, so my girlfriend gets this huge flyer from Fido saying that effective
August 3, 2005 you can use their "expanded" network. To see if you are
currently on the expanded network, call [free] *#123#. Of course, this
doesnt work. I get "unknown application". The flyer goes on to say
that you can talk to your family and friends from Dawson Creek to Kelowna
for only $0.25/minute...blah blah blah.

So, does this mean that if I am in Kelowna (my home area is Vancouver)
and I am roaming on Rogers (which I presume I will have to be) I will get
dinged $0.25/minute if I call someone in Kelowa (local call) OR if I
receive a call from Vancouver, I get dinged $0.25/minute or $0.20 (see
below) ?

We also got a pamphlet saying that As of September 19, their long
distance rates are going up to $0.20 within Canada and the US. SMS while
outside Canada or US is now $0.40 (dunno how much it was before).
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 9:17:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

Pavel wrote:
>
> Ok, so my girlfriend gets this huge flyer from Fido saying that effective
> August 3, 2005 you can use their "expanded" network. To see if you are
> currently on the expanded network, call [free] *#123#. Of course, this
> doesnt work.

I was told this application won't be up until August 3rd.

> that you can talk to your family and friends from Dawson Creek to Kelowna
> for only $0.25/minute...blah blah blah.

Not true. Dawson Creek to Kelowna is long distance, so $0.25 + 0.20

> So, does this mean that if I am in Kelowna (my home area is Vancouver)
> and I am roaming on Rogers (which I presume I will have to be) I will get
> dinged $0.25/minute if I call someone in Kelowa (local call) OR if I
> receive a call from Vancouver, I get dinged $0.25/minute or $0.20 (see
> below) ?

Correct.

And I had heard that long distance rates would double in August 2. Interesting
that you would be told September 19. I wonder if it varies depending on where
you are in Canada (eg: legal requirements to advise of rate increases X days
before they apply).
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 2:48:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

It took me a while too, but I think I have this figured out. Essentially,
you'll be billed differently if you are within the Fido footprint (the area
where Fido previously had coverage) and if you are on the 'enhanced'
network. If you are in the Fido footprint, you'll be billed as you normally
are - deducting minutes from your plan and paying 20 cents per minute for
long distance. However, if you're outside the Fido footprint, you'll pay 25
cents per minute for all outgoing and incoming calls even if they are long
distance and no minutes will be deducted from your plan. Of course, you'll
only know if you're on the enhanced network if you use the *#123#
application. To get rid of the 25 cents per minute you can pay the $5 for
using the enhanced network but I believe in this case you'll be paying the
long distance as well as airtime charges.

See my coments below.

"JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message
news:42E89141.4617745@teksavvy.com...
> Pavel wrote:
>>
>> Ok, so my girlfriend gets this huge flyer from Fido saying that effective
>> August 3, 2005 you can use their "expanded" network. To see if you are
>> currently on the expanded network, call [free] *#123#. Of course, this
>> doesnt work.
>
> I was told this application won't be up until August 3rd.

That's correct.

>
>> that you can talk to your family and friends from Dawson Creek to Kelowna
>> for only $0.25/minute...blah blah blah.
>
> Not true. Dawson Creek to Kelowna is long distance, so $0.25 + 0.20

No, actually there won't be a LD charge... you'll be paying 25 cents/minute.

>
>> So, does this mean that if I am in Kelowna (my home area is Vancouver)
>> and I am roaming on Rogers (which I presume I will have to be) I will get
>> dinged $0.25/minute if I call someone in Kelowa (local call) OR if I
>> receive a call from Vancouver, I get dinged $0.25/minute or $0.20 (see
>> below) ?
>
> Correct.

We'll all be roaming on Rogers eventually... the question is, are you under
Fido footprint? If you are then the 25cents/minute won't apply, you'll be
charged as per the package you have.

>
> And I had heard that long distance rates would double in August 2.
> Interesting
> that you would be told September 19. I wonder if it varies depending on
> where
> you are in Canada (eg: legal requirements to advise of rate increases X
> days
> before they apply).
Related resources
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 6:02:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

"Ryan T." wrote:
> > Not true. Dawson Creek to Kelowna is long distance, so $0.25 + 0.20
>
> No, actually there won't be a LD charge... you'll be paying 25 cents/minute.

Unless Telus considers Dawson Creek to Kelowna to be a local call, you'll be
paying long distance charges on that call.
(There are only a very few places in canada where one can make a local call
over such a long distance. Eagle Plains Motel to Inuvik being one (about 350km).


So essentially, Rogers is boosting the "expanded" costs from $0.20 per minute
when using Bell analogue to $0.25 when using Rogers's towers outside of fido areas.


In fairness, the $0.25 is to be billed by the second, while the Bell analogue
was billed by the minute, so in the end, it may come out about the same.
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 8:16:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

Ryan T. wrote:
> [...] However, if you're outside the Fido footprint, you'll pay 25
> cents per minute for all outgoing and incoming calls even if they are long
> distance and no minutes will be deducted from your plan.

I think in this case the 25 cents/min is only the airtime charge, with
long distance being extra. In the letter I received notifying me of
these changes, there is a footnote that states "Long-distance and other
charges may apply."
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 4:43:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

Ok is easy

For Long Distance I use Yak for cell:
http://www.yak.ca/en/

0.05$/minutes canada and usa

You need to register your cell phone number then dialung local access
number.

Will be charged on credit card

No connection fee.

Good rate plan also for oversea call
"JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
42E91DD1.D8492D84@teksavvy.com...
> "Ryan T." wrote:
>> > Not true. Dawson Creek to Kelowna is long distance, so $0.25 + 0.20
>>
>> No, actually there won't be a LD charge... you'll be paying 25
>> cents/minute.
>
> Unless Telus considers Dawson Creek to Kelowna to be a local call, you'll
> be
> paying long distance charges on that call.
> (There are only a very few places in canada where one can make a local
> call
> over such a long distance. Eagle Plains Motel to Inuvik being one (about
> 350km).
>
>
> So essentially, Rogers is boosting the "expanded" costs from $0.20 per
> minute
> when using Bell analogue to $0.25 when using Rogers's towers outside of
> fido areas.
>
>
> In fairness, the $0.25 is to be billed by the second, while the Bell
> analogue
> was billed by the minute, so in the end, it may come out about the same.
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 7:33:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

Frederic Boivin wrote:
> http://www.yak.ca/en/
> You need to register your cell phone number then dialung local access
> number.

Are there prepaid providers that have an 800 number access ?

If I am in the boon docks, having to call long distance with Rogers's
exhorbitant rates to reach a "local access number" to get yak's rates doesn't
give me any advantage.

This is good when most of your long distances are done from the city to
elsewhere. But where you are in the country, trying to call the city, that
doesn't seem to help much.

BTW, the spacial code to find out if you are in fido or rogers coverage area
is *#123#

(I was under the impression it was *#1234# )

Does anyone know how to remove the message you get once you've sent the *#123#
command from a siemens M55 ?
August 4, 2005 10:42:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

Or use Tricell <http://www.tricell.ca&gt; and get 3.9¢/minute to the US
and Canada.

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 00:43:18 -0400, "Frederic Boivin"
<boivinf@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Ok is easy
>
>For Long Distance I use Yak for cell:
>http://www.yak.ca/en/
>
>0.05$/minutes canada and usa
>
>You need to register your cell phone number then dialung local access
>number.
>
>Will be charged on credit card
>
>No connection fee.
>
>Good rate plan also for oversea call
>"JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
>42E91DD1.D8492D84@teksavvy.com...
>> "Ryan T." wrote:
>>> > Not true. Dawson Creek to Kelowna is long distance, so $0.25 + 0.20
>>>
>>> No, actually there won't be a LD charge... you'll be paying 25
>>> cents/minute.
>>
>> Unless Telus considers Dawson Creek to Kelowna to be a local call, you'll
>> be
>> paying long distance charges on that call.
>> (There are only a very few places in canada where one can make a local
>> call
>> over such a long distance. Eagle Plains Motel to Inuvik being one (about
>> 350km).
>>
>>
>> So essentially, Rogers is boosting the "expanded" costs from $0.20 per
>> minute
>> when using Bell analogue to $0.25 when using Rogers's towers outside of
>> fido areas.
>>
>>
>> In fairness, the $0.25 is to be billed by the second, while the Bell
>> analogue
>> was billed by the minute, so in the end, it may come out about the same.
>

- -
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 12:48:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

I tried that code and with my Fido SIM monthly plan in my unlocked Treo 600,
I get "No tariff area information available".


"JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message
news:42F1C4BF.7DB86DE9@teksavvy.com...
> Frederic Boivin wrote:
> > http://www.yak.ca/en/
> > You need to register your cell phone number then dialung local access
> > number.
>
> Are there prepaid providers that have an 800 number access ?
>
> If I am in the boon docks, having to call long distance with Rogers's
> exhorbitant rates to reach a "local access number" to get yak's rates
doesn't
> give me any advantage.
>
> This is good when most of your long distances are done from the city to
> elsewhere. But where you are in the country, trying to call the city, that
> doesn't seem to help much.
>
> BTW, the spacial code to find out if you are in fido or rogers coverage
area
> is *#123#
>
> (I was under the impression it was *#1234# )
>
> Does anyone know how to remove the message you get once you've sent the
*#123#
> command from a siemens M55 ?
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 1:51:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

Harry Eugene Ly wrote:
>
> I tried that code and with my Fido SIM monthly plan in my unlocked Treo 600,
> I get "No tariff area information available".


Yesterday (3rd), that is what I got too. Today, I get a 3 line bilingual
message telling me

Fido basic
network/reseau
de base Fido


Problem is that the Siemens displays this message as one line that changes
every couple of seconds and doesn't stop/go away.


Today, I forgot about testing this again while away from the city to see what
the message would be for Rogers's coverage areas.
August 6, 2005 1:47:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

Instead of dialing #123# you must dial *#123#

or in other words dial - star pound 123 pound then press end

Good luck
Behr

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 05:17:29 GMT, "Pavel" <none@none.com> wrote:

>Ok, so my girlfriend gets this huge flyer from Fido saying that effective
>August 3, 2005 you can use their "expanded" network. To see if you are
>currently on the expanded network, call [free] *#123#. Of course, this
>doesnt work. I get "unknown application". The flyer goes on to say
>that you can talk to your family and friends from Dawson Creek to Kelowna
>for only $0.25/minute...blah blah blah.
>
>So, does this mean that if I am in Kelowna (my home area is Vancouver)
>and I am roaming on Rogers (which I presume I will have to be) I will get
>dinged $0.25/minute if I call someone in Kelowa (local call) OR if I
>receive a call from Vancouver, I get dinged $0.25/minute or $0.20 (see
>below) ?
>
>We also got a pamphlet saying that As of September 19, their long
>distance rates are going up to $0.20 within Canada and the US. SMS while
>outside Canada or US is now $0.40 (dunno how much it was before).
>
>



Please reply within newsgroup ONLY.
I do not read emails sent to this address.
Thanks....
!