Very complicated (or so it seems) problem

futureman

Distinguished
May 14, 2003
OK well i have a serious problem with my computer here. First a little history, i first installed XP about a year and a half ago, and amazingly i am still running the same installation. Well, as you could imagine i have a lot of things stored up and I would rather be able to keep this installation. I originally have an AMD 700 Tbird with the original via mobo that goes with it, but i recently upgraded to a AMD 2700xp, so i have a newer Via mobo, and i was actually a little disappoited at how little work it took. Well, now i have the problems.... Until now i always used a DSL modem, so i connected to the internet through my network card, but recently my roomate took away the DSL, and i bought a modem and an ISDN modem too, becuase i realized later that it still works. Well, basically there were serious problems. There was something wrong with the communications ports or something, because there were two instances of com port 1. I fixed that. I could get my modem to install correctly, and it would answer a query, but when i tried to get Microsoft Network Connection Wizard to set up a new internet connection, it doesn't think i have a modem. I have recently reinstalled XP on this comp, on another partition. I was wondering if the people here would have an idea about what I need to do to make it work? I know i could maybe copy some files from this installation. I would be interested in trying that, because i have a million different things that i don't want to download again, as i don't have broadband anymore. But one thing is clear, it works on this instillation, but not on the other, so i am sure it is possible. Hopefully there can be some solution. Thanks in advance for the help.

grassapa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
try telling us what error messages you get, and a lil more about your hardware. i would suggest uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling the driver again. these little problems are always tough because you dont know whats causing it. its always good to do a full reformat. not only it will fix that driver problem, im sure your computer will perform a bit better when its nice and clean

--------------------------------------------------
My computer is so fast it proves the theory of relativity wrong... :eek:

kinetic_tw

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
If you changed your mobo while keeping the same installation of XP, that could very well be the source of your problems. The problem comes from the fact that XP has to redetect and reinstall everything when you change your motherboard. This obviously is going to create conflicts/errors in some areas unless you're supremely careful. My advice would be to backup your information and do a fresh XP install onto a clean hard drive. (I know it's not ideal since you said you have alot you want to save, but I think in the long run it'll save you alot of frustration)

dhlucke

Polypheme
You installed a new motherboard without doing a fresh install?

Your problems can easily be solved by doing a fresh install.

futureman

Distinguished
May 14, 2003
Yes i suppose the problem is clear. I have reinstalled XP on a new partition of my HD, and everything works well, I was simply wondering if any really smart folks here could figure out a way to help me get the other version of windows working by using this one. Either that, or being able to get my old programs working without transfering everything.