"Error Checking" Problem (Scandisk)

When I try to schedule "Error Checking" on my machine (to allow for auto-fix)
and then reboot, I get a system message . . .
..
"File type is NTFS.
Cannot open for direct access.
Windows has finished checking the disk."

.. . . which now occurs every time the machine is booted and does not appear
to be checking anything.

I have not been able to locate information as to what might be causing the
problem? Can it be associated with anti-virus software (Norton)?

Apprecaiate any assistance.

Try going to run,type:cmd In cmd type:CHKDSK C: Then type:CHKDSK C: /R
Agree to restart then type:EXIT Restart computer.

"Randy1" wrote:

> When I try to schedule "Error Checking" on my machine (to allow for auto-fix)
> and then reboot, I get a system message . . .
> .
> "File type is NTFS.
> Cannot open for direct access.
> Windows has finished checking the disk."
>
> . . . which now occurs every time the machine is booted and does not appear
> to be checking anything.
>
> I have not been able to locate information as to what might be causing the
> problem? Can it be associated with anti-virus software (Norton)?
>
> Apprecaiate any assistance.

Running "CHKDSK" as suggested appears to have performed a scan, but when I
tried to run "CHKDSK" with the /R option to perform repairs, I get the same
message on reboot - that "File type is NTFS. Cannot open for direct access.
Windows has finished checking the disk." and it appears that it still
attempts to perform the operation each time the machine is booted.