DVD+RW disks are they destroyed?

Hi all,

After I updated to sp2 and other updates via auto update and went to WMP 10,
I noticed that the new DVD+RW's I bought the other day are not excepting a
format or allowing me to erase them. Out of the box they are initially
recognized by XP Pro, then when formating with nero they lock up during
finalizing and I have to reboot. At this point the disk, after reboot is not
recognized and seems to be in an endless loop or check mode state. I have, I
think , 6 damaged so far. I am afraid to experiment and thought RW disks
could be at least erased and reused but XP can't see the RW media and this
does not let me use any other app to erase or reformat. Any ideas or registry
fixes out there?

J ;-)
8 answers Last reply
More about disks destroyed

    Basis question: Do you have a DVD writer installed?

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Jaymon" wrote:

    | Hi all,
    |
    | After I updated to sp2 and other updates via auto update and went to WMP 10,
    | I noticed that the new DVD+RW's I bought the other day are not excepting a
    | format or allowing me to erase them. Out of the box they are initially
    | recognized by XP Pro, then when formating with nero they lock up during
    | finalizing and I have to reboot. At this point the disk, after reboot is not
    | recognized and seems to be in an endless loop or check mode state. I have, I
    | think , 6 damaged so far. I am afraid to experiment and thought RW disks
    | could be at least erased and reused but XP can't see the RW media and this
    | does not let me use any other app to erase or reformat. Any ideas or registry
    | fixes out there?
    |
    | J ;-)

    Yes, Hi-VAL dual format 4x DVD Rewitable drive, I installed it last year and
    it worked fine.

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Basis question: Do you have a DVD writer installed?
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Jaymon" wrote:
    >
    > | Hi all,
    > |
    > | After I updated to sp2 and other updates via auto update and went to WMP 10,
    > | I noticed that the new DVD+RW's I bought the other day are not excepting a
    > | format or allowing me to erase them. Out of the box they are initially
    > | recognized by XP Pro, then when formating with nero they lock up during
    > | finalizing and I have to reboot. At this point the disk, after reboot is not
    > | recognized and seems to be in an endless loop or check mode state. I have, I
    > | think , 6 damaged so far. I am afraid to experiment and thought RW disks
    > | could be at least erased and reused but XP can't see the RW media and this
    > | does not let me use any other app to erase or reformat. Any ideas or registry
    > | fixes out there?
    > |
    > | J ;-)

    Any additional thoughts would be welcome..

    "Jaymon" <Jaymon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > After I updated to sp2 and other updates via auto update and went to WMP
    > 10,
    > I noticed that the new DVD+RW's I bought the other day are not excepting
    > format or allowing me to erase them. Out of the box they are initially
    > recognized by XP Pro, then when formating with nero they lock up during
    > finalizing and I have to reboot. At this point the disk, after reboot is
    > not
    > recognized and seems to be in an endless loop or check mode state. I have,
    > think , 6 damaged so far. I am afraid to experiment and thought RW disks
    > could be at least erased and reused but XP can't see the RW media and
    > this
    > does not let me use any other app to erase or reformat. Any ideas or
    > registry
    > fixes out there?
    >
    > J ;-

    Have you also updated Nero? There are problems with nero and SP2 on earlier
    versions. Look on their site.

    No, nero 5 came with the recorder and has been updated as far as they will
    let me go for that version, I need to get 6 or the trial 6 version. but will
    that solve or make xp see the damaged disks?

    "bud" wrote:

    > "Jaymon" <Jaymon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > After I updated to sp2 and other updates via auto update and went to WMP
    > > 10,
    > > I noticed that the new DVD+RW's I bought the other day are not excepting
    > > format or allowing me to erase them. Out of the box they are initially
    > > recognized by XP Pro, then when formating with nero they lock up during
    > > finalizing and I have to reboot. At this point the disk, after reboot is
    > > not
    > > recognized and seems to be in an endless loop or check mode state. I have,
    > > think , 6 damaged so far. I am afraid to experiment and thought RW disks
    > > could be at least erased and reused but XP can't see the RW media and
    > > this
    > > does not let me use any other app to erase or reformat. Any ideas or
    > > registry
    > > fixes out there?
    > >
    > > J ;-
    >
    > Have you also updated Nero? There are problems with nero and SP2 on earlier
    > versions. Look on their site.

    Nero 5 is not fully compatbile with XP SP2 regardless they put it in their
    KB or not.
    Also try updating your DVD firmware. I had cases where updated f/w will
    upgrade the compatibility of the drive to other media model.

    =bob=

    "Jaymon" <Jaymon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > After I updated to sp2 and other updates via auto update and went to WMP
    > 10,
    > I noticed that the new DVD+RW's I bought the other day are not excepting
    > format or allowing me to erase them. Out of the box they are initially
    > recognized by XP Pro, then when formating with nero they lock up during
    > finalizing and I have to reboot. At this point the disk, after reboot is
    > not
    > recognized and seems to be in an endless loop or check mode state. I have,
    > think , 6 damaged so far. I am afraid to experiment and thought RW disks
    > could be at least erased and reused but XP can't see the RW media and
    > this
    > does not let me use any other app to erase or reformat. Any ideas or
    > registry
    > fixes out there?
    >
    > J ;-)

    Thanks,

    The firmware is not available as far as I have search the Company site
    (hi-val) and rpc1.org's firmware page with no results. I have upgraded my dvd
    decoder form ATI for my radeon 9600 and will try the trial nero ver 6 and
    hope that might solve the problem. I would like to be able to erase or repair
    the 6 rw disc's that seem wasted, though..

    "[BnH]" wrote:

    > Nero 5 is not fully compatible with XP SP2 regardless they put it in their
    > KB or not.
    > Also try updating your DVD firmware. I had cases where updated f/w will
    > upgrade the compatibility of the drive to other media model.
    >
    > =bob=
    >
    > "Jaymon" <Jaymon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > After I updated to sp2 and other updates via auto update and went to WMP
    > > 10,
    > > I noticed that the new DVD+RW's I bought the other day are not excepting
    > > format or allowing me to erase them. Out of the box they are initially
    > > recognized by XP Pro, then when formating with nero they lock up during
    > > finalizing and I have to reboot. At this point the disk, after reboot is
    > > not
    > > recognized and seems to be in an endless loop or check mode state. I have,
    > > think , 6 damaged so far. I am afraid to experiment and thought RW disks
    > > could be at least erased and reused but XP can't see the RW media and
    > > this
    > > does not let me use any other app to erase or reformat. Any ideas or
    > > registry
    > > fixes out there?
    > >
    > > J ;-)

    Hey,

    Just to recap, I was finally able to get a firmware update for the dvd
    recorder via HI-VAL's live chat option on there site. Turns out it is
    actually an IOMagic drive firmware ver 2.17. I updated to 2.60 and that seems
    to have solved the problem with formating the memorex media, though they
    recommended TDK, maxell ,Verbatim, Pioneer, Ritek or Princo media. As far as
    the disks that were screwed up before the update they still just seem to be
    stuck in an endless loop. I am also still using Nero 5.5 without any trouble
    now, so go figure..

    I just wanted to thank you for your post it really helped..

    J;-)

    "[BnH]" wrote:

    > Nero 5 is not fully compatible with XP SP2 regardless they put it in their
    > KB or not.
    > Also try updating your DVD firmware. I had cases where updated f/w will
    > upgrade the compatibility of the drive to other media model.
    >
    > =bob=
    >
    > "Jaymon" <Jaymon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > After I updated to sp2 and other updates via auto update and went to WMP
    > > 10,
    > > I noticed that the new DVD+RW's I bought the other day are not excepting
    > > format or allowing me to erase them. Out of the box they are initially
    > > recognized by XP Pro, then when formating with nero they lock up during
    > > finalizing and I have to reboot. At this point the disk, after reboot is
    > > not
    > > recognized and seems to be in an endless loop or check mode state. I have,
    > > think , 6 damaged so far. I am afraid to experiment and thought RW disks
    > > could be at least erased and reused but XP can't see the RW media and
    > > this
    > > does not let me use any other app to erase or reformat. Any ideas or
    > > registry
    > > fixes out there?
    > >
    > > J ;-)

Windows XP