Registry in Windows XP (home)

I ran a scan which said I have invalid references located throughout entire
registry. How do I get rid of them? Do I need a registry cleaner? If so,
what is a good one?
3 answers Last reply
More about registry windows home

    what scan?

    jensauntfred wrote:
    > I ran a scan which said I have invalid references located throughout entire
    > registry. How do I get rid of them? Do I need a registry cleaner? If so,
    > what is a good one?

    What specific "scan" did you run? Was it provided by some
    fly-by-night company trying to sell you a snake oil remedy for a
    non-existent problem?

    The registry contains all of the operating system's "knowledge" of
    the computer's hardware devices, installed software, the location of the
    device drivers, and the computer's configuration. A misstep in the
    registry can have severe consequences. One should not even turning
    loose a poorly understood automated "cleaner," unless he is fully
    confident that he knows *exactly* what is going to happen as a result of
    each and every change. Having seen the results of inexperienced people
    using automated registry "cleaners," I can only advise all but the most
    experienced computer technicians (and/or hobbyists) to avoid them all.
    Experience has shown me that such tools simply are not safe in the hands
    of the inexperienced user.

    The only thing needed to safely clean your registry is knowledge
    and Regedit.exe. If you lack the knowledge and experience to maintain
    your registry by yourself, then you also lack the knowledge and
    experience to safely configure and use any automated registry cleaner,
    no matter how safe they claim to be.

    Further, no one has ever demonstrated, to my satisfaction, that the
    use of an automated registry cleaner, particularly by an untrained,
    inexperienced computer user, does any real good. There's certainly been
    no empirical evidence offered to demonstrate that the use of such
    products to "clean" WinXP's registry improves a computer's performance
    or stability.

    What specific problem are you experiencing that you *know* beyond
    all reasonable doubt will be fixed by using an automated registry
    cleaner? If you do have a problem that is rooted in the registry, it
    would be far better to simply edit (after backing up, of course) only
    the specific key(s) and/or value(s) that are causing the problem. Why
    use a shotgun when a scalpel will do the job? Additionally, the
    manually changing of one or two registry entries is far less likely to
    have the dire consequences of allowing an automated product to make
    multiple changes simultaneously.

    I always use Regedit.exe. I trust my own experience and judgment
    far more than I would any automated registry cleaner. I strongly
    encourage others to acquire the knowledge, as well.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    "jensauntfred" <jensauntfred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I ran a scan which said I have invalid references located throughout entire
    > registry. How do I get rid of them? Do I need a registry cleaner? If
    > so,
    > what is a good one?

    What did you use? Most checkers have the ability to fix too- unless they are
    after your money,
    windows has tools to help- /? gives the available options when added after
    the command name.

Windows XP Support Registry Cleaner Microsoft Registry