TECH: easies way to remove control panel overlay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm replacing an overlay on one of my machines, and I'm having a hell of a
time doing so. People say that lighter fluid takes it off, but it's not
helping. Any suggestions as for what to do?

Heat it up with a hair dryer or a heat gun (or in my case a 80,000 btu
kerosene heater, damn cold up here in New England) until it gets hot to the
touch.. that should help soften the glue underneath. Then you should be
able to peel off larger chunks of the artwork, you may need to use a razor
blade to get it started. Once you have the overlay off you'll need to use
something to get all the leftover glue off of it and that's where lighter
fluid, acetone or goof off come in handy with a nice razor blade for
scraping. I just did one the other day that way and it came out great.
Still quite a bit of work but it helps.

Scott

www.agelessarcade.com

"Steve McDevitt" <jorant@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> I'm replacing an overlay on one of my machines, and I'm having a hell of a
> time doing so. People say that lighter fluid takes it off, but it's not
> helping. Any suggestions as for what to do?

If it is just the glue you need to remove, use a can of Gasket Remover.
Spray it on the control panel and 5-10 minutes later all you have to do is
use a putty knife and slide off the glue! I have used this on metal control
panels, don't know it would work on a wooden one though.

Brian

"Steve McDevitt" <jorant@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> I'm replacing an overlay on one of my machines, and I'm having a hell of a
> time doing so. People say that lighter fluid takes it off, but it's not
> helping. Any suggestions as for what to do?

I just finished removing the last traces of glue from a metal control
panel. I used a scrapper with a razor blade to get 95% of it off, then
I used a wheel brush attachment on my drill to remove the little last
bits. Been working it about a week but now I have shiny bare metal to
work with. A little primer and a new overlay and I'll be in business.
Turned out to be a much more labor intensive job then I had originally
envisioned.

I've always heated it upon a gas grill until the overlay can be peeled
off easily (can smell if you let it go to long!) Then once it's off
andcooled down I use WD-40 and a putty knife and a razor. WD-40 works
great, sprays on easily, and is cheap!

I've never had to use any kind of sanding device to remove the adhesive
as W-40 has always taken it completely off. Just spray it on, wait 10
seconds, scrape it off, repeat until it's all gone.

Then rinse the CP down with soap and water, let dry, prime, and apply
the CPO.

Jim

danthepup wrote:
> I just finished removing the last traces of glue from a metal control
> panel. I used a scrapper with a razor blade to get 95% of it off,
then
> I used a wheel brush attachment on my drill to remove the little last
> bits. Been working it about a week but now I have shiny bare metal
> work with. A little primer and a new overlay and I'll be in
business.
> Turned out to be a much more labor intensive job then I had
originally
> envisioned.

due to time constraints, my panels are dropped off at a sandblaster and
i pick them up a few days later. really cheap.

larryc

> "Steve McDevitt" <jorant@insightbb.com> wrote in message
>> I'm replacing an overlay on one of my machines, and I'm having a hell
>> of a time doing so. People say that lighter fluid takes it off, but
>> it's not helping. Any suggestions as for what to do?

I prefer to use a good quality paint stripper.

guinness

>>I prefer to use a good quality paint stripper.

I concur...it usually will eat the artwork with the adhesive too.
Remember..not thinner, but stripper. I bought a hard plastic cement mixing
tub (about 2'x3' tub) for like $10 and I use that as the sacrificial table
when I pour the stripper on. You can use a paint brush to apply a thin
layer on, scrape, and repeat if needed. I use a plastic scraper to get off
the goo. Wear protective gloves! I've used the same cement tub, paint
brush, and gloves for over 25 panels....I use about one $2-$3 bottle of
stripper for every ~4 panels.

Its the messiest approach, but most effective. I bought a heat gun and it
just didn't compare. You get a shiny metal panel when you use stripper,
but with the heat gun it tends to cook some of the material onto the metal.

tim (NH)

"LarryC" <larry@dontspam.hermitcreek.com> wrote in message

> > "Steve McDevitt" <jorant@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> >> I'm replacing an overlay on one of my machines, and I'm having a hell
> >> of a time doing so. People say that lighter fluid takes it off, but
> >> it's not helping. Any suggestions as for what to do?
>
> I prefer to use a good quality paint stripper.

ahhh... you might want to warn him to make sure he gets all the lighter
fluid and residue off before going near it with the heat gun :eek:

"thrushguy" <garons@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Heat it up with a hair dryer or a heat gun (or in my case a 80,000 btu
> kerosene heater, damn cold up here in New England) until it gets hot to
> the
> touch.. that should help soften the glue underneath. Then you should be
> able to peel off larger chunks of the artwork, you may need to use a razor
> blade to get it started. Once you have the overlay off you'll need to use
> something to get all the leftover glue off of it and that's where lighter
> fluid, acetone or goof off come in handy with a nice razor blade for
> scraping. I just did one the other day that way and it came out great.
> Still quite a bit of work but it helps.
>
> Scott
>
> www.agelessarcade.com
>

> "Steve McDevitt" <jorant@insightbb.com> wrote in message
>> I'm replacing an overlay on one of my machines, and I'm having a hell of
>> time doing so. People say that lighter fluid takes it off, but it's not
>> helping. Any suggestions as for what to do?

Yes, it take the strong paint stripper to cut through that glue. It is
nasty stuff.

Mark

"LarryC" <larry@dontspam.hermitcreek.com> wrote in message

>> "Steve McDevitt" <jorant@insightbb.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm replacing an overlay on one of my machines, and I'm having a hell
>>> of a time doing so. People say that lighter fluid takes it off, but
>>> it's not helping. Any suggestions as for what to do?
>
> I prefer to use a good quality paint stripper.

It doesn't hurt to prime but its not critical. This panel was from a
Pengo and had originally been primed so I decided to reprime it.

<arcade@wizmail.net> wrote in message
> I've always heated it upon a gas grill until the overlay can be peeled
> off easily (can smell if you let it go to long!) Then once it's off
> andcooled down I use WD-40 and a putty knife and a razor. WD-40 works
> great, sprays on easily, and is cheap!
>
> I've never had to use any kind of sanding device to remove the adhesive
> as W-40 has always taken it completely off. Just spray it on, wait 10
> seconds, scrape it off, repeat until it's all gone.
>
> Then rinse the CP down with soap and water, let dry, prime, and apply
> the CPO.
>
> Jim

Got it all off. Do I HAVE to prime, or would it be okay to put it over the
bare metal?

Steve McDevitt wrote:
> <arcade@wizmail.net> wrote in message
>
>>I've always heated it upon a gas grill until the overlay can be peeled
>>off easily (can smell if you let it go to long!) Then once it's off
>>andcooled down I use WD-40 and a putty knife and a razor. WD-40 works
>>great, sprays on easily, and is cheap!
>>
>>I've never had to use any kind of sanding device to remove the adhesive
>>as W-40 has always taken it completely off. Just spray it on, wait 10
>>seconds, scrape it off, repeat until it's all gone.
>>
>>Then rinse the CP down with soap and water, let dry, prime, and apply
>>the CPO.
>>
>>Jim
>

> Got it all off. Do I HAVE to prime, or would it be okay to put it over the
> bare metal?

Priming keeps the metal from rusting, and is highly recommended if you want to
preserve the longevity of the panel.

Robert Bullock wrote:
> You'll probably get a little bubble or two anyway, unless you are superhuman
> and can perfectly apply it. 'Sticker Shock' removes all the adhesives I've
> tried and it sold at Autozone for about $3 a can. Works well and is for
> bumper stickers so you can even use it on probably most any paint etc.

Or use (slightly) soapy water or windex when applying. *No* bubbles, and you
don't need to be superhuman.

I always prime.

It protects the metal from rusting and also helps prevent any show
through on the CPO. I usually use a black or gray if there are white
parts on the CPO.

I'm also not a fan of using Windex or soapy water for CPOs. Side art,
ooK... CPOs... Not. I want every bit of sticking power I can get.

Jim