Anyway why do you need the NV20 or the R200 ?

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Lets sit down and think. Ok you wonder when to get the the Nvidia NV20 and the ATi R200.

Here some fact's:
-Unreal (300mhz, 16mb OR it's slow) engine: savage4, Tnt2, Ati rage 128, voodoo3 play's at 30fps
-Quake 3 (300mhz, 16mb OR it's slow)engine: Tnt2, savage 2000, ati rage 128pro, voodoo4 Play's at 30fps
-Homeworld(450mhz,32mb OR it's slow) engine: GeForce SDR, ATi radeon 32mb sdr, Voodoo5 Play's at 30fps

Well IS there a Engine to these these 2 card to rated on. Face it the homeworld engine is real good but the game is to slow pace. you want to see you Geforce2 ultra get a workout get Homeworld from SIERRA.

Cel 533 - 256mb sdram
15gb HD - ati radeon 32mb ddr (200/200)
SB live! mp3+ - win98 Beos

G

Ever tried to play Sacrifice at 1600x1200x32 with FSAA and all graphics options cranked up? I bet if any of us could, even once, we'd never go back :). Don't limit gaming to the current reality of 1024x768x32 with no FSAA and a measly few thousand polygons.... there is so much more, even from some current titles. Next gen engines like the next Unreal engine are quite close, and all feature much higher polly counts, real-time shadows, etc. Also, 30 fps is NOT enough for the hard-core first-person shooter freak. Try a minimum of 60. Don't get me wrong, I can neither afford nor justify the purchase of a Geforce2 Ultra, much less an NV20, but there is ALWAYS room for more power. Perhaps the best reason (though this is not reason enough to purchase right away) is that game companies will never write games with new graphical features until the hardware ALREADY exists to run them.

Regards,
Warden

G

while yer right about the 30fps part, its because the cpu is a bottleneck. a tnt gives 60fps on a 600MHz p3. an old card scales nice with a new cpu but in low res

broggiemonster

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If I only bought things when I need them life would be incredibly boring...I'll have one of each because I want them, because they're newer and better than what I have, and because sometimes I want to treat myself to something and stuff the cost.

Ray

tfbww

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2001
One word for you: Halo (provided MSFT doesn't screw the PC owners and only release it on the xbox) The avi of it just simply kicks. But it will be a resource hog.

Also, just to reiterate what everyone else has said: FSAA. Even the Ultra has trouble with this processing when the resolution is cranked up to 1024x768 or more. That's where the power is needed going forward.

mpjesse

Splendid
Just wait a couple months and you'll see when you'll need to get a NV20. There are a couple games that are coing out REAL soon that will have a hell of a time running on a GeForce 2. Red faction is one of them- as well as Duke Nukem Forever. Bump mapping is getting big- which eats a lot of GPU power.

-MP Jesse

G

I'm pretty sure I read that that Halo is going to be an EXCLUSIVE Xbox title. I can't find now where I read it, but I remember getting really pissed off about it... :^(

Warden

G

Like $200 or less. But with the NV20 in it and everything, I really worry about that.

Charles