Wi-Fi System Advice

bc4

Hi--

I'm trying to set up a home system for a friend. The basic concept is to
give him the security of a wired system when his laptop is plugged in to
the port replicator (dock) at his home office desk--yet also give him the
wireless flexibility to move to the patio or another room--plus on-the-
road wireless for his travels. The laptop will be the only computer on
the network except for the occasional guest with a laptop.

Here's what I've proposed for him:

1. HP Pavillion zt3000 Pentium M 1.6Ghz 1GB RAM 60GB HDD DVD+RW Intel Pro
Wireless 2200 811.02b/g MS XP Professional

2. Advanced Port Replicator for HP zt 3000 (dock)

3. Microsoft MN-700 Base Station 802.11g

4. HP PSC 1210 Printer/Scanner/Copier w/ Linksys Wireless-G Print Server
for USB2.0 (Ethernet connection between print server--base station.)

The port replicator connects via 10/100 Ethernet cable to the Base
Station. So at the dock he's wired. When he unplugs from the dock he's
wireless to the MS Base Station, which I will configure with the highest
security settings--WPA--I guess--turning off the SSID broadcast, etc.

If anybody sees any flaws in this--alternative
recommendations/improvements--I would appreciate it. Advice on
installation, etc. also welcome.

Many thanks...

> Here's what I've proposed for him:
>
> 1. HP Pavillion zt3000 Pentium M 1.6Ghz 1GB RAM 60GB HDD DVD+RW Intel Pro
> Wireless 2200 811.02b/g MS XP Professional
>
> 2. Advanced Port Replicator for HP zt 3000 (dock)
>
> 3. Microsoft MN-700 Base Station 802.11g
>
> 4. HP PSC 1210 Printer/Scanner/Copier w/ Linksys Wireless-G Print Server
> for USB2.0 (Ethernet connection between print server--base station.)
>
> The port replicator connects via 10/100 Ethernet cable to the Base
> Station. So at the dock he's wired. When he unplugs from the dock he's
> wireless to the MS Base Station, which I will configure with the highest
> security settings--WPA--I guess--turning off the SSID broadcast, etc.
>
> If anybody sees any flaws in this--alternative
> recommendations/improvements--I would appreciate it. Advice on
> installation, etc. also welcome.
>
> Many thanks...

How are you planning on rotating WPA keys ? What no firewall on his
laptop ? Your friends laptop will be open to attack. Check out if the
linksys has broadcom chip in it. Worth checking out if it supports -
SecureEZsetup from broadcom (Not sure if all linksys has broadcom
chipset). Why are you using MS mn-700 base station ? Its reported to
have intermittent disconnects .
Bufflo has a airstation , supports AOSS (airstation one touch secure
system) . Just a suggestion . Real easy to set up.

I doubt that the combo printer/scanner/fax will do anything other than print
on the wireless mode.
Why not get a router with a built in print server and not go wireless for
the printer?

"Alan White" <alanwhite99xxxxxx@hotmail.com> wrote in

> I doubt that the combo printer/scanner/fax will do anything other than
> print on the wireless mode.
> Why not get a router with a built in print server and not go wireless
> for the printer?

Thanks Alan. I think you are right.

It looks to me like the NetGear FWG114P instead ofthe Microsoft MN-700. The
NetGear piece seems to do it all. Router, Firewall, Access Point, USB or
Ethernet print server. It appears also that none of the
printer/scanner/copier devices are wi-fi compatible. HP Deskjet 5850 looks
like a nice little printer and is wi-fi compatible plus either USB or
Ethernet when the laptop is docked

> "Drew Cutter" <andrewc@wcoil.com> wrote in message
>> > Here's what I've proposed for him:
>> >
>> > 1. HP Pavillion zt3000 Pentium M 1.6Ghz 1GB RAM 60GB HDD DVD+RW
>> > Intel
> Pro
>> > Wireless 2200 811.02b/g MS XP Professional
>> >
>> > 2. Advanced Port Replicator for HP zt 3000 (dock)
>> >
>> > 3. Microsoft MN-700 Base Station 802.11g
>> >
>> > 4. HP PSC 1210 Printer/Scanner/Copier w/ Linksys Wireless-G Print
>> > Server for USB2.0 (Ethernet connection between print server--base
>> > station.)
>> >
>> > The port replicator connects via 10/100 Ethernet cable to the Base
>> > Station. So at the dock he's wired. When he unplugs from the dock
>> > he's wireless to the MS Base Station, which I will configure with
>> > the highest security settings--WPA--I guess--turning off the SSID
>> > broadcast, etc.
>> >
>> > If anybody sees any flaws in this--alternative
>> > recommendations/improvements--I would appreciate it. Advice on
>> > installation, etc. also welcome.
>> >
>> > Many thanks...
>> >

>> How are you planning on rotating WPA keys ? What no firewall on his
>> laptop ? Your friends laptop will be open to attack. Check out if the
>> linksys has broadcom chip in it. Worth checking out if it supports -
>> SecureEZsetup from broadcom (Not sure if all linksys has broadcom
>> chipset). Why are you using MS mn-700 base station ? Its reported to
>> have intermittent disconnects .
>> Bufflo has a airstation , supports AOSS (airstation one touch secure
>> system) . Just a suggestion . Real easy to set up.

Thanks Drew. Yeah--I'm still researching the security end. I think the
NetGear router has a robust firewall. I'll also put ZoneAlarm or similar
software. Plus WPA. I don't know what you mean about rotating the keys--
haven't got there yet. Any advice is welcome.

Coz

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2002

My mn700 works just peachy :)

"Drew Cutter" <andrewc@wcoil.com> wrote in message
> > Here's what I've proposed for him:
> >
> > 1. HP Pavillion zt3000 Pentium M 1.6Ghz 1GB RAM 60GB HDD DVD+RW Intel
Pro
> > Wireless 2200 811.02b/g MS XP Professional
> >
> > 2. Advanced Port Replicator for HP zt 3000 (dock)
> >
> > 3. Microsoft MN-700 Base Station 802.11g
> >
> > 4. HP PSC 1210 Printer/Scanner/Copier w/ Linksys Wireless-G Print Server
> > for USB2.0 (Ethernet connection between print server--base station.)
> >
> > The port replicator connects via 10/100 Ethernet cable to the Base
> > Station. So at the dock he's wired. When he unplugs from the dock he's
> > wireless to the MS Base Station, which I will configure with the highest
> > security settings--WPA--I guess--turning off the SSID broadcast, etc.
> >
> > If anybody sees any flaws in this--alternative
> > recommendations/improvements--I would appreciate it. Advice on
> > installation, etc. also welcome.
> >
> > Many thanks...
> >

> How are you planning on rotating WPA keys ? What no firewall on his
> laptop ? Your friends laptop will be open to attack. Check out if the
> linksys has broadcom chip in it. Worth checking out if it supports -
> SecureEZsetup from broadcom (Not sure if all linksys has broadcom
> chipset). Why are you using MS mn-700 base station ? Its reported to
> have intermittent disconnects .
> Bufflo has a airstation , supports AOSS (airstation one touch secure
> system) . Just a suggestion . Real easy to set up.

In article <8WElc.361404$oR5.165726@pd7tw3no>, scooby@nospamcozmos.com
says...
> My mn700 works just peachy :)
>
> "Drew Cutter" <andrewc@wcoil.com> wrote in message
> > > Here's what I've proposed for him:
> > >
> > > 1. HP Pavillion zt3000 Pentium M 1.6Ghz 1GB RAM 60GB HDD DVD+RW Intel
> Pro
> > > Wireless 2200 811.02b/g MS XP Professional
> > >
> > > 2. Advanced Port Replicator for HP zt 3000 (dock)
> > >
> > > 3. Microsoft MN-700 Base Station 802.11g
> > >
> > > 4. HP PSC 1210 Printer/Scanner/Copier w/ Linksys Wireless-G Print Server
> > > for USB2.0 (Ethernet connection between print server--base station.)
> > >
> > > The port replicator connects via 10/100 Ethernet cable to the Base
> > > Station. So at the dock he's wired. When he unplugs from the dock he's
> > > wireless to the MS Base Station, which I will configure with the highest
> > > security settings--WPA--I guess--turning off the SSID broadcast, etc.
> > >
> > > If anybody sees any flaws in this--alternative
> > > recommendations/improvements--I would appreciate it. Advice on
> > > installation, etc. also welcome.
> > >
> > > Many thanks...
> > >

> > How are you planning on rotating WPA keys ? What no firewall on his
> > laptop ? Your friends laptop will be open to attack. Check out if the
> > linksys has broadcom chip in it. Worth checking out if it supports -
> > SecureEZsetup from broadcom (Not sure if all linksys has broadcom
> > chipset). Why are you using MS mn-700 base station ? Its reported to
> > have intermittent disconnects .
> > Bufflo has a airstation , supports AOSS (airstation one touch secure
> > system) . Just a suggestion . Real easy to set up.

Just be thankful Microsoft doesn't make airplanes....
But then again, if they did, there probably would not have been a 9/11
--

Ben E. Brady
http://www.clariondeveloper.com/wepgen

http://www.clariondeveloper.com/webcloak
FREE! Encrypt email addresses on your web site!
Keep spam bots from sending you spam!

http://www.firewallreporting.com
Personal firewall log analysis tools for
ZoneAlarm, BlackICE, WinRoute Pro and Windows XP
Take stock of your firewall settings and take action against intruders.

http://www.videoprofessorscam.com
Don't get stung by this scam!

TRENDING THREADS