AGP Voltage compatablity

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Got a new system with TNT2 AGP 4x. Got an old BX board with a TNT1 card. Thinking of getting a new video card for the new system and putting the leftover TNT2 card in the old BX system. The new mobo manual says that the AGP slot is 1.5v only! Is the old BX board a 3.3v(aOpen ax6b plus)? Can the new TNT2 card (must be 1.5v) go in the BX board? Can the old TNT1 card go in the new mobo?

Have tried to research on my own but the only stuff I could find was way too detailed and hundereds of pages long. I don't need to know how to build a mobo with AGP support, I just need to know which video boards work in which slots. Please help. TIA

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If it is an AGP slot, then the TNT2 ultra or otherwise, should work in it, given there are no compatibility probs with the chipset of the motherboard. The TNT2 is used in an awful lot of motherboards, and in fact I use one myself in a BX board. All AGP slots whether 1X,2X,4X will support the TNT2 because they are backwards compatible, like ATA100 will run an ATA66 or DMA 33. Check the Graphics Column in Tom's HW Guides and see if there is a game that needs the performance now, or if you can wait till a game comes out that needs more, and then buy the highest performance for the lowest price at the time. I have been looking at the GeForce DDR orig. The bandwidth bottleneck sort of limits what improvements can be delivered, although I have no doubt that a GF Ultra 64meg DDR would deliver a substansial amount of framerate over the GF DDR orig. I run on........ Good luck, Take-Out

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Dude thanks for trying to help with my AGP voltage question. The TNT2 does in fact work in any AGP slot.

Some new information (new to me) has just made the AGP voltage issue a real concern. Forgive me if you already know this but normal AGP slots come in 3 types:3.3v, 1.5v, and universal. Most Mobos have universal AGP so the voltage the card needs does not matter. Old cards are 3.3v only and fit fine in 3.3v slots or universal slots but they do NOT fit in 1.5v only AGP slots.

Our company just recently got a hold of some ASUS mobos with 1.5v only AGP slots. The video cards out customers picked were 3.3v only cards and they do NOT fit. I am pissed at Asus for not suppling a universal AGP slot and I am pissed at all the makers of all video cards because they do not tell you what voltage a given card runs. They all say what x (1x, 2x, 4x) but just try to find out what voltage a card runs at.

If you want more information go to www.agpforum.org.