GeForce2 with Voodoo2 in SLI?

G

I currently have:
Canopus Spectra 2500 TNT (16meg) AGP
2 Canopus Voodoo2 cards(12megs each) connected in SLI for Glide.
ASUS P2B-S
128megs PC-100 ram
I would like to upgrade to the CUSL2-C (to use IBM ATA100 drives).
I also want to upgrade to a video card with either the GeForce2 Ultra,GTX or Pro.
Can I still use my Voodoo2 cards with the GeForce2 card?
What about 2D quality?
Will the GeForce card by itself perform better without the combination of Voodoo2 cards connected to it?
I run Unreal Tournament pretty well in 1024x768 with the SLI setup except when the game gets really intense and the action breaks up a little.

toonces

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you can run the voodoo2's with the geforce2 if you want, but the performance from the gf2 would at least be 4 to 5 times faster than the v2's. but of you have some old glide only games (tribes) you may just keep them for that. but for all practical purposes, your gf2 will smoke everything that is on your system right now. it doesn't matter if you use the v2's and the gf2 together. your game will only use one or the other and you wouldn't notice if the v2's were there or not.

<font color=red>booyah, grandma, booyah..</font color=red>

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I agree with toonces that you wouldn't notice much difference with them being there but they may be good to have with Glide only games like Tribes.
I would further add that you may want to try it with and without to see the difference, if any, in the high (1600+) resolutions due to the "pass-through" cable that links the output of the AGP card to the Voodoo 2s. Sometimes the cable introduces tiny amounts of capacitive or inductive reactance that could lead to cross-talk and such in the conductors of the cable. This would show up in a loss of "crispness" in the printed words.
It is best to try with and without to see cause there is no guide as to which manufacturers produced the cables with this fault. This and the fact that you lose at least 2 PCI slots are the only factors I know of that might affect your video quality. Good Luck, Take-Out

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Take_Out on 01/24/01 05:04 PM.</EM></FONT></P>