2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? I'd say no bigger than 15"
3. What screen resolution do you want? He's not picky about this.
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? This would replace the desktop, which is mostly just used to check email.
5. How much battery life do you need? Nothing crazy, it will probably be sitting at a desk while plugged in 95% of its life.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Nope.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) It might get used for typical MS Office work. That's about it beyond the usual internet surfing.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? It's probably just going to be used for documents and maybe some photos. No video or games.
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Don't care, we're in the US though.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? As long as humanly possible while remaining in the price range
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVD, although that may not even be necessary
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. My dad specified that he wants a Dell but I'm open to alternate recommendations.
13. What country do you live in? US
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. He's well versed in computers and whatnot so I'd like to get him something of quality that he can hang on to for awhile, but he won't be using it for anything remotely intensive.
I'd also say Inspiron 15R. If it's always going to be plugged in, why not go 17.3"? Some of them are about $500 and would fit the bill. The extra resolution that often comes at that size might be helpful.