Which monitor should I get?

Last response: in Computer Brands
a b C Monitor
April 29, 2005 6:48:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

I'm looking at 17" CRTs to replace my old one. I don't see much in the way of reviews
since no one is buying CRTs and if they are they'll get a 19" or bigger. Anyway I'm
limited by what they sell locally at chains like CompUSA, BestBuy, PC Richard etc.

The two I'm mainly looking at are the Viewsonic A71F+ for $179.99 minus a $30 mail-in
rebate if I ever get it and the Compaq FS7600 for $179.999 minus a $50 mail-in rebate.
The Compaq uses the shadow mask and Viewsonic isn't saying what kind of monitor it is.

My PC is an old Dell Dimension PII 300 MHz with an old graphics card (Riva 128 ;-) ) if
that matters.

Specs are below.

Can anyone say if these are good monitors or suggest something better for the same money?

Thank you.

My monitor is switching between all purple and back to the right color as I type this so I
probably should buy something right away. :-)

Viewsonic A71f+:

CRT Type 17" (16.0" viewable)
Dot Pitch 0.21mm horizontal, 0.13mm vertical, 0.25mm diagonal
Phosphor Dot pitch, 90° deflection, RGB P22 medium/short persistence
Glass Surface Tint: TM~52.6%; anti-static, AR anti-glare
INPUT SIGNAL Video RGB analog (75 ohms, 0.7/1.0 Vp-p)
Sync H/V separated (TTL), composite
Frequency fh: 30~72kHz; fv: 50~160Hz
COMPATIBILITY PC VGA up to 1280x1024
Mac®* Power Mac" G3/G4 up to 1024x768
CONNECTOR Signal 15-pin mini D-sub
Power 3-pin plug (ICE320)
POWER Voltage AC 90-264V 50-60 (+/- 3)Hz
Consumption 75W (typ) (auto switch)
CONTROLS Basic Power, on/off, 1, down, up, 2, memory recall hot key, UltraBrite hot key
On View® Contrast, brightness, ViewMatch® color adjust, (9300K, 6500K default, user),
pincushion, pinbalance, trapezoid, parallelogram, tilt, moiré, reduction, H.
size/position, V. position, OSD position, zoom , memory recall
OPERATING CONDITIONS Temperature 32-104° F (0-40° C)
Humidity 5-95% (non-condensing)
DIMENSIONS
(WxHxD) Physical 410mm (W) x 406mm (H) x 420mm (D)
16.2" x 16.0" x 16.6"
WEIGHT Net 35.3 lb. (16.0 kg)
Gross 38.4 lb. (17.4 kg)
REGULATIONS UL, cUL, FCC-B, CB, CE, ICES-003, DHHS, EPA, NOM, TUV/GS, TUV/Ergo,
ISO9241-378, MPR II, GOST-R, SASO, PCBC, BSMI, CCC, PSB, Argentina- TUV/S, C-TICK
POWER MANAGEMENT Meets MPR II standards
WARRANTY One-year limited warranty on CRT, parts and labor for units purchased in the
U.S. only. Three-year limited warranty on units purchased outside of the U.S. screen at
any resolution

Compaq FS7600:

Monitor Screen Tube type: curved screen CRT
Screen size: 43 cm (17 inches)
Viewable size: 40.6 cm (16 inches)
Coating: Anti-Glare
Dot Pitch 0.25 to 0.27 mm (variable)
Display Area Default 234 x 312 mm
Display Colors Infinite
Maximum Resolution 1280 dots x 1024 lines at 60 Hz
Preferred User Resolution 1024 x 768 at 85 Hz
Compatibility All graphic modes with horizontal frequencies between 30 to 70 KHz
Synchronization Horizontal: 30 to 70 KHz
Vertical: 50 to 160 Hz
Bandwidth 110 MHz
Preset Graphic Modes 640 x 480 @ 60,75,85 Hz
720 x 400 @70 Hz
800 x 600 @ 75, 85 Hz
1024 x 768 @ 75, 85 Hz
1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz
Input Signal Video RGB analog synchronization, TTL separate
Signal Cable 15-pin D-sub connector
Power Input Voltage: 100 to 240V
Frequency: 50 to 60 Hz
Current Rating 1.5 amps
Power Consumption 75 watts maximum
Power Saving Mode Less than 4 watts
Dimension (width x height x depth) 15.9 x 16.0 x 16.7 inches (404 x 406 x 423 mm) maximum
Weight 17 kg (37.5 lbs) maximum
Environmental Requirements Operating temperature: 10 to 35 degrees C (50 to 95 degrees F)
Storage temperature: -30 to 60 degrees C (-22 to 140 degrees F)
Humidity: 20 to 80%, non-condensing
Altitude: Up to 10,000 feet (3038 meters)
Plug and Play Yes
TCO'03 Yes
MPRII Yes

More about : monitor

April 29, 2005 6:48:48 AM

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 02:48:47 GMT, DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:

>I'm looking at 17" CRTs to replace my old one. I don't see much in the way of reviews
>since no one is buying CRTs and if they are they'll get a 19" or bigger. Anyway I'm
>limited by what they sell locally at chains like CompUSA, BestBuy, PC Richard etc.
>
>The two I'm mainly looking at are the Viewsonic A71F+ for $179.99 minus a $30 mail-in
>rebate if I ever get it and the Compaq FS7600 for $179.999 minus a $50 mail-in rebate.
>The Compaq uses the shadow mask and Viewsonic isn't saying what kind of monitor it is.
>
>My PC is an old Dell Dimension PII 300 MHz with an old graphics card (Riva 128 ;-) ) if
>that matters.
>
>Specs are below.
>
>Can anyone say if these are good monitors or suggest something better for the same money?
>
>Thank you.
>
>My monitor is switching between all purple and back to the right color as I type this so I
>probably should buy something right away. :-)

Try search ebay for "Dell 17" Flat Trinitron Monitor"
A new one is listed at $84.95 (BuyINow) + $40 (shipping)
April 29, 2005 7:22:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?submit=P...
Here is what New Egg has (Viewsonic). I do not know who makes the Compaq
Monitors. Tim

<DaveJohnson12@nomail.> wrote in message
> [...]
> Preset Graphic Modes 640 x 480 @ 60,75,85 Hz
> 720 x 400 @70 Hz
> 800 x 600 @ 75, 85 Hz
> 1024 x 768 @ 75, 85 Hz
> 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz
> Input Signal Video RGB analog synchronization, TTL separate
> Signal Cable 15-pin D-sub connector
> Power Input Voltage: 100 to 240V
> Frequency: 50 to 60 Hz
> Current Rating 1.5 amps
> Power Consumption 75 watts maximum
> Power Saving Mode Less than 4 watts
> Dimension (width x height x depth) 15.9 x 16.0 x 16.7 inches (404 x 406 x
> 423 mm) maximum
> Weight 17 kg (37.5 lbs) maximum
> Environmental Requirements Operating temperature: 10 to 35 degrees C (50
> to 95 degrees F)
> Storage temperature: -30 to 60 degrees C (-22 to 140 degrees F)
> Humidity: 20 to 80%, non-condensing
> Altitude: Up to 10,000 feet (3038 meters)

a b C Monitor
April 29, 2005 7:46:42 AM

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 03:22:16 GMT, "Tim" <nospam@verizon.net> wrote:

>http://www2.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?submit=P...
>Here is what New Egg has (Viewsonic). I do not know who makes the Compaq
>Monitors. Tim

Thanks Tim. Those shipping prices seem reasonable. I don't think buying a monitor that
can't be easily returned is a good idea because you don't know how it will look until you
see it and some of them have defects. Maybe if you can get something decent for $120 it's
worth the risk.

The last monitor I bought was rated #1 by both PC Magazine and PC World and it had a
defect. Horizontal lines go up instead of straight across on the right 40% of the screen
and on the rest of the screen they are fine. No adjusment would correct it. This is
something I was stuck with because it would have taken a while to get a replacement and
they might have charged me shipping if they even would agree to replace it. The monitor
was about $680 including shipping.
May 2, 2005 5:19:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

>I've reached an
>age that it's no longer fun to schlep a 19" CRT
>monitor up and down 3n flights of stairs.

I'm at same age.... and thinking abt going to laptop
next time so as not to schlep a whole system anywhere
!