Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Vista x64 to Windows 7 | Drivers?

Last response: in Windows 7
July 12, 2010 12:01:16 AM

Hello,
I bought 2 years ago a HP Laptop and now, as i'm really tired of vista bugging all the time, i'm willing to change it for 7
What i'm wondering about is how to do it
If i simply format the C: drive, i'll get rid of vista but also all the drivers of the different components of the PC (wireless/bluetooth card, little funky buttons for play/stop, etc)

Is there a software out there that will allow me to extract the drivers i want to reinstall them later?
July 12, 2010 12:04:00 AM

Hello,
I bought 2 years ago a HP Laptop and now, as i'm really tired of vista bugging all the time, i'm willing to change it for 7
What i'm wondering about is how to do it
If i simply format the C: drive, i'll get rid of vista but also all the drivers of the different components of the PC (wireless/bluetooth card, little funky buttons for play/stop, etc)

Is there a software out there that will allow me to extract the drivers i want to reinstall them later?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 12, 2010 12:58:48 AM

You can try an upgrade from vista to 7. They are very similar. Much like windows 2000 to XP. That should preserve your current setup and everything. But make sure you back everything up just in case. And make sure you use 7 x64 if your using vista 64 or 7 x86 if your using vista x86. You can not upgrade between x86 and x64 editions.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
July 12, 2010 2:59:44 AM

There isn't any software like that that I know if. However, you can go to HP's support site and download the drivers again. I'd check the site first to ensure that they have W7 drivers out there for your computer, as if they do not, I probably wouldn't do the upgrade.
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
July 12, 2010 3:54:58 AM

This next topics has been merged by Aford10
  • Vista x64 to 7 | Drivers?
    m
    l
    July 12, 2010 7:57:27 PM

Best answer selected by bigboy_93.
    m
    l
    July 12, 2010 8:01:06 PM

Thanks
    And is there a way i can find which HP drivers are essential and which ones are useless (crappy marketing things) or do i have to search manually on google to see if they're relevant?
    m
    l
    July 12, 2010 8:16:57 PM

Just so you know there are several programs that back up drivers. Driver Magician and Driver Genius Professional are two of them. There are others. I was trying to do what you are with a printer that was not supported by Win7. I could not get Win7 it to accept the drivers I backed up from Vista.

Getting them from HP is the smart move. Always check if there are drivers before you upgrade. It can save a lot of time.
    m
    l
    July 12, 2010 8:54:19 PM

I ended up doing the same thing with a gateway PC, what happened in my case is that gateway didn't have Win 7 specific drivers for that particular model laptop so i just ended up using the vista drivers for Win 7 and it worked out fine for me, actually, its still working fine for me :)  hope this helps.
    m
    l
    !