1. What is your budget? Around 700, can probably go to 800, but not much higher.
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? Would prefer something light, the lighter the better as she will be taking this to school and back. No bigger then 15" I would say.
3. What screen resolution do you want? Mine currently is 1600x900, but not sure whats best. Up to you guys.
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Portable
5. How much battery life do you need? Also not of major importance. I would say at least 4 hours though to get through longer classes. rest of time should be plugged in.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Yes, very interested in playing games. Don't need to be high settings, but medium would be preferred. More interested in game running smooth and not choppy then in it looking amazing. Games she is looking to play either by her self or to play with me are: Minecraft, Diablo 3, League of Legends. She's more of a casual gamer so don't expect to play anything like CoD, battlefield 3. She may give guildwars 2 a shot.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? other then gaming it will just be used for homework/research, and maybe watching the odd movie here and there. (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? pretty sure 500GB is more then enough for her.
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Open to most, though I am fond of newegg.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? atleast 2 years.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVD
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Don't really have a problem with most brands. Only one I've ever had a lot of problems with was a Sager laptop I bought.
13. What country do you live in? USA
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. Would like to buy this for xmas though if we have to wait a little its ok as class's don't start for another month. Other then that. Not much else to tell.
as far as I can tell the 2nd one not only has a slightly better card and faster CPU the only think it's missing from the other is a bigger hard drive and a 2nd headphone jack.
Is it the fact that its refurbished? if so then has anyone had any bad experiences with a refurbished laptop? I personally have now bought 3 refurbished laptops in the past all from new egg and can say each one is still working without problems.
The samsung is in the same range. as the 650 based on the benchmark you listed. For me personally I'd pay the extra 50 for the i7 but that is up to you I'm sure both are quite solid. If you want to save the samsung if you want more power the i7 from lenovo.