virus issues

July 11, 2005 4:36:02 AM

could or do i need to install diffrent virus programs for each threat? i have
anti spyware beta on windows xp sp2 should'nt that be enought?

More about : virus issues

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 5:03:20 AM

"Lashortee" <Lashortee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> could or do i need to install diffrent virus programs for each threat? i
> have
> anti spyware beta on windows xp sp2 should'nt that be enought?

In a word "NO". As the name suggests, Microsoft Antipyware is installed to
prevent spyware - not viruses, worms and trojans.

There are many products to choose from that will help you prevent
infections. Some are FREE to the home user. Which one you choose is a
matter of taste, really. Many people have emotional attachments or
performance issues with one or another AntiVirus software. Try some out,
read reviews and decide for yourself which you like more:

avast! (Free and up)

AVG Anti-Virus System (Free and up)
http://www.grisoft.com/

AntiVir (Free and up)
http://www.free-av.com/

RAV AntiVirus Online Virus Scan (Free!)
http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/

Symantec (Norton) AntiVirus (~$11 and up)
http://www.symantec.com/nav/nav_9xnt/

Kaspersky Anti-Virus (~$49.95 and up)
http://www.kaspersky.com/products.html

Panda Antivirus Titanium (~$39.95 and up)
http://www.pandasoftware.com/
(Free Online Scanner: http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/)

McAfee VirusScan (~$11 and up)
http://www.mcafee.com/

Trend Micro (~$49.95 and up)
http://www.trendmicro.com/en/home/us/personal.htm
(Free Online Scanner:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.as...)

Untested (by me):
eTrust EZ Antivirus ($29.95 and up)
https://www2.my-etrust.com/commerce/buy.it.cfm

Most of them have automatic update capabilities. You will have to look into
the features of the one you choose. Whatever one you finally settle with -
be SURE to keep it updated (I recommend at least daily) and perform a full
scan periodically (yes, it protects you actively, but a full scan once a
month at 4AM probably won't bother you.)

--
Michael
Anonymous

"Lashortee" <Lashortee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> could or do i need to install diffrent virus programs for each threat? i
> have
> anti spyware beta on windows xp sp2 should'nt that be enought?

The name of that software is anti-spyware not anti-virus. That means it
checks for spyware (but note the word beta). There are lots of anti-virus
programs out there. Get one and use it too- plenty of names have been given
in the past, some are free too. There is also plenty of spyware software
that isn't in beta too- and some is free.
July 12, 2005 12:35:02 AM

thank you alan !
ill check for the software of virus right now.

"Alan Smith" wrote:

> "Lashortee" <Lashortee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > could or do i need to install diffrent virus programs for each threat? i
> > have
> > anti spyware beta on windows xp sp2 should'nt that be enought?
>
> The name of that software is anti-spyware not anti-virus. That means it
> checks for spyware (but note the word beta). There are lots of anti-virus
> programs out there. Get one and use it too- plenty of names have been given
> in the past, some are free too. There is also plenty of spyware software
> that isn't in beta too- and some is free.

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 12:37:02 AM

thank you michael!
i thought that by having alot of software
viruses and spyware, it would ruin my computer, but i checked for the
software anti virus.

"Michael T" wrote:

> "Lashortee" <Lashortee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > could or do i need to install diffrent virus programs for each threat? i
> > have
> > anti spyware beta on windows xp sp2 should'nt that be enought?
>
> In a word "NO". As the name suggests, Microsoft Antipyware is installed to
> prevent spyware - not viruses, worms and trojans.
>
> There are many products to choose from that will help you prevent
> infections. Some are FREE to the home user. Which one you choose is a
> matter of taste, really. Many people have emotional attachments or
> performance issues with one or another AntiVirus software. Try some out,
> read reviews and decide for yourself which you like more:
>
> avast! (Free and up)
>
> AVG Anti-Virus System (Free and up)
> http://www.grisoft.com/
>
> AntiVir (Free and up)
> http://www.free-av.com/
>
> RAV AntiVirus Online Virus Scan (Free!)
> http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/
>
> Symantec (Norton) AntiVirus (~$11 and up)
> http://www.symantec.com/nav/nav_9xnt/
>
> Kaspersky Anti-Virus (~$49.95 and up)
> http://www.kaspersky.com/products.html
>
> Panda Antivirus Titanium (~$39.95 and up)
> http://www.pandasoftware.com/
> (Free Online Scanner: http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/)
>
> McAfee VirusScan (~$11 and up)
> http://www.mcafee.com/
>
> Trend Micro (~$49.95 and up)
> http://www.trendmicro.com/en/home/us/personal.htm
> (Free Online Scanner:
> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.as...)
>
> Untested (by me):
> eTrust EZ Antivirus ($29.95 and up)
> https://www2.my-etrust.com/commerce/buy.it.cfm
>
> Most of them have automatic update capabilities. You will have to look into
> the features of the one you choose. Whatever one you finally settle with -
> be SURE to keep it updated (I recommend at least daily) and perform a full
> scan periodically (yes, it protects you actively, but a full scan once a
> month at 4AM probably won't bother you.)
>
> --
> Michael

April 8, 2009 3:25:34 PM

Do not make the false assumption that one anti-virus or spyware program will do. This is where many computer users go wrong in preventing viruses, malware, worms, Trojans and spyware from getting on their computers. It is always good to use two or three programs to scan for these. The problem with this is many of the software you find online could be bogus and already come pre packed with all kinds of goodies you do not want on your machine. I have taken the liberty of testing them for you and listing the ones I find to work the best at my site. Many of them are 100% free as well and I added detailed instructions for you to follow on installing and uninstalling them. Every product at my site has been fully tested and approved by me to be there. I make nothing from this site because computers are my hobby and not my profession. I make plenty of cash from my job and I only try to help people online for free if possible. Now you will find prices for people who live near me but I usually never charge them and walk away with nothing but satisfaction of the smile from the customer when they see it run like new again. Of course I can’t list all the free info at my site here because it would be a very lengthy book seeing there are 50 pages of info and products. http://www.connectionwizard.org/
!