I'm in the market for a new laptop since my laptop died on me. I intended to buy one some time next year but apparently my laptop decided otherwise. I have looked at a few but I feel there's a lot of tradeoffs in my price range.
I'll get right to requirements
1. What is your budget?
$1000, however I have to adjust for higher taxes, prices etc. here, so most likely closer to $850
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
No more than 15,6" since I have to carry this one around
3. What screen resolution do you want?
I do want a 1080p screen but I realize that in my price range I might have to settle for a 720p screen instead.
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
It's needs to be portable. I have a gaming desktop, but it would be nice to be able to play some casual games on it if necessary
5. How much battery life do you need?
I don't need 10 hours of battery life, that's for sure, but a decent 5ish would be nice. Of course the more the better.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
As mentioned earlier, it doesn't need to be able to run Crysis 3 at 1080p at max settings. However I would like to run MMOs such as WoW or be able to run an FPS/RPG at minimal settings. For the pretty graphics, I'll stick to my desktop
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
I'm an IT networking student, so I need to be able to run servers in VirtualBox - multiple at the same time would be nice too! Other than that, it's just for doing assignments in class etc. so mostly word processing, web browsing etc.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
I would like an SSD or a hybrid drive, but I'll settle for a 500+ GB drive if necessary
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
None in particular, but due to my country that would exclude a lot of sites for 3 reasons:
Shipping time, shipping costs and I want a localized keyboard layout which also means that a suggested model _might_ not be available in my region.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Don't know how to answer this one but I guess as long as I can but don't we all?
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
I don't need an optical drive necessarily. Most of the software I install are images including software provided by the school
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I don't necessarily have any brand loyalties but I do like Asus products, but any laptop that meets my criteria is fine.
My current one is an Acer and I don't have any nice things to say about it. Build quality is horrendous, performance laughable (took me an hour to install a Win Server 2k3 on virtualbox) and the list goes on.
13. What country do you live in?
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I would prefer a fairly light laptop so I don't have to lug a monstrosity around that will eventually cause me back pains.
Light gaming as mentioned earlier if possible.
Primary use will be for my studies which as mentioned includes virtualbox so plenty of RAM would be nice.
Would like a good build quality
I would prefer a laptop that supports WIFI 5 GHz because my school's routers and access points operate at 5 GHz exclusively
At the beginning of my post I mentioned that I have looked at a few laptops. I of course looked at a few ultrabooks but they are quite pricey so it seems like I have to sacrifice the screen, the SSD and probably some performance to pick up an ultrabook however it seems like if I pick a performance laptop then I would have to deal with a heavy laptop - I looked at an ASUS N56VM (I believe that's the model) - and of course reduced battery life.
I also looked at a ASUS UX32A. I kinda fell in love with the ASUS Vivobook U38N (not released yet) which has a lot of the things I seek but it has an AMD A8-5550M CPU and quite frankly I'm concerned about the performance.
I do realize that all the laptops I've listed are Asus laptops, but I am definitely open to suggestions - that's why I'm asking in the first place.