sreal

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2003
80 gig maxtor IDE HD 2 months old. Was boot drive for XP Sp1 then would not boot. XP will not format in DOS. Maxtor boot disk will not format. When hooked up as slave XP sees the drive but said it was unformated, but will not format. Does anyone have any thoughts?

grassapa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
how many hd you got? are you running xp from that broken hd?

try accessing the hd in different ways. use a windows boot disk and use scandisk and fdisk to format the hd. try accessing it on another computer or friends computer. or maybe try formatting it with a linux cd. I just dont understand how you are running win xp if that hd is broken. you must have another hd.

--------------------------------------------------
My computer is so fast it proves the theory of relativity wrong... :eek:

Have you tried the Repair feature through the WinXPs installation disk???

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>

Maxtor boot disk will not format.

Unless the hardrive is mechanically damaged the Powermax options on the Maxtor Bootdisk will Low Level Format the drive, have you tried that feature? Warning; everything will be wiped from the drive, Boot Records, Partitions, Files, everything.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>

sreal

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2003
Yes, I have 2 HD`s. This was the primary, but now it is a slave. XP CD, boot disk, and Maxtor Powermax all hang and stop when I try to format. I tried PC Inspector File Recovery (find lost drives) and it comes up with a "NT_read error error no.23 drv:129 LBA:6291519 blocks:2" Any ideas?

grassapa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
even though you can still run win xp on the other hd, i would suggest you unpluggin and plugging your memory modules. I had a similar problem and for days i thought it was a hd problem. Since i had nothing to do, i just tried that and for some reason it worked. Just try it, you got nothing to loose.

gl

--------------------------------------------------
My computer is so fast it proves the theory of relativity wrong... :eek:

Sounds definitely hardware related, especially if the Maxtors own program can't do anything with it, is the drive still under warranty?

sreal

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2003
Thank you for the help, but after more effort put into something that should save us time... Maxtor said the HD is defective and will replace it under Warr. Maxtor was very helpful. By the way, PowerMax 4.06 on Maxtor`s web site works great and Maxtor told me the prior versions had a problem and to only use version 4.06. FYI

Thanks

jimbo99

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2003
I've had the same problem with a fujitsu 20 gig. The low level utility worked for mine though but it wouldn't hold a partition.