Windows won't make friends with my 'C-Media AC97 Audio Dev..

My mudda-bored has onboard audio, and my extensive library of
hardware/software documentation is so well organized that even I can't find
find anything (I'd just mess up my filing system anyway, so it's probably a
good thing). Anyway, I formatted my drive and installed XP with the
assumption that it would find its own drivers for everything, but the audio
just isn't cooperating. I'm not even worried about the quality of the sound,
I just want to hear the Star Trek-ish "swoosh" when I minimize windows! =)
No, I do listen to music occasionally, but I really just thought I could at
least find a generic driver to work. Any suggestions out there? Thanks!

Wes
5 answers Last reply
More about windows make friends media ac97 audio

    "Routermajik" <Routermajik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My mudda-bored has onboard audio, and my extensive library of
    > hardware/software documentation is so well organized that even I can't
    > find
    > find anything (I'd just mess up my filing system anyway, so it's
    > probably a
    > good thing). Anyway, I formatted my drive and installed XP with the
    > assumption that it would find its own drivers for everything, but the
    > audio
    > just isn't cooperating. I'm not even worried about the quality of the
    > sound,
    > I just want to hear the Star Trek-ish "swoosh" when I minimize
    > windows! =)
    > No, I do listen to music occasionally, but I really just thought I
    > could at
    > least find a generic driver to work. Any suggestions out there?
    > Thanks!

    Go to the manufacturer of your computer or motherboard to download and
    install the lastest drivers for the integrated audio device.

    --
    William

    On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 03:12:03 -0700, "Routermajik"
    <Routermajik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >My mudda-bored has onboard audio, and my extensive library of
    >hardware/software documentation is so well organized that even I can't find
    >find anything (I'd just mess up my filing system anyway, so it's probably a
    >good thing). Anyway, I formatted my drive and installed XP with the
    >assumption that it would find its own drivers for everything, but the audio
    >just isn't cooperating. I'm not even worried about the quality of the sound,
    >I just want to hear the Star Trek-ish "swoosh" when I minimize windows! =)
    >No, I do listen to music occasionally, but I really just thought I could at
    >least find a generic driver to work. Any suggestions out there? Thanks!
    >
    >Wes

    Windows XP does not supply C-Media drivers or software on the XP
    installation disc. To use your C-Media device, you must use the
    driver supplied on the motherboard CD. Or, to get the latest driver
    and software, go to C-Media's website and download the C-Media
    software (all of it), then install it.

    The C-Media software is very rich, and includes a very nice mixer,
    which can replace the XP native mixer. It also enables you to
    properly use the audio inputs on the motherboard (allowing you to use
    5.1 speakers using the three audio inputs.)

    Read your motherboard manual for information on setting up 5.1
    speakers on C-Media AC-97 hardware.

    Which is more important:
    Having a well-organized filing system which won't allow you to find
    what you want, or being able to find what you want with a "messed-up"
    filing system? Sometimes, "organization" is counter-productive. In
    your case, it certainly appears to be.

    Donald L McDaniel
    Please reply to the original thread.
    If you must reply via email, remove the obvious
    from my email address before sending.

    "Routermajik" <Routermajik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My mudda-bored has onboard audio, and my extensive library of
    > hardware/software documentation is so well organized that even I can't
    > find
    > find anything (I'd just mess up my filing system anyway, so it's probably
    > good thing). Anyway, I formatted my drive and installed XP with the
    > assumption that it would find its own drivers for everything, but the
    > audio
    > just isn't cooperating. I'm not even worried about the quality of the
    > sound,
    > I just want to hear the Star Trek-ish "swoosh" when I minimize windows!
    > =)
    > No, I do listen to music occasionally, but I really just thought I could
    > at
    > least find a generic driver to work. Any suggestions out there? Thanks!
    >
    > Wes

    Use the CD of drivers that came with the motherboard and install the driver.
    Or go to the makers website and download the driver then install it.

    "" wrote:
    > My mudda-bored has onboard audio, and my extensive library of
    > hardware/software documentation is so well organized that even
    > I can't find
    > find anything (I'd just mess up my filing system anyway, so
    > it's probably a
    > good thing). Anyway, I formatted my drive and installed XP
    > with the
    > assumption that it would find its own drivers for everything,
    > but the audio
    > just isn't cooperating. I'm not even worried about the
    > quality of the sound,
    > I just want to hear the Star Trek-ish "swoosh" when I minimize
    > windows! =)
    > No, I do listen to music occasionally, but I really just
    > thought I could at
    > least find a generic driver to work. Any suggestions out
    > there? Thanks!
    >
    > Wes

    have you actualy tried downloading and installing the drivers?
    http://www.cmedia.com.tw/e_download_01.htm

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Windows-make-friends-Media-AC97-Audio-Device-ftopict555530.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1765528

    "" wrote:
    > My mudda-bored has onboard audio, and my extensive library of
    > hardware/software documentation is so well organized that even
    > I can't find
    > find anything (I'd just mess up my filing system anyway, so
    > it's probably a
    > good thing). Anyway, I formatted my drive and installed XP
    > with the
    > assumption that it would find its own drivers for everything,
    > but the audio
    > just isn't cooperating. I'm not even worried about the
    > quality of the sound,
    > I just want to hear the Star Trek-ish "swoosh" when I minimize
    > windows! =)
    > No, I do listen to music occasionally, but I really just
    > thought I could at
    > least find a generic driver to work. Any suggestions out
    > there? Thanks!
    >
    > Wes

    Greetings,
    This might help: