Upgrade from Home SP1 to Home SP2?

July 11, 2005 7:26:11 AM

Hi. I've been an XP Home SP1 user for quite a while now. I've been
hesitant to upgrade to SP2, because I've heard that some common
software does not work properly on SP2. Is there any truth to this?
Should I stop worrying and just upgrade?

Note that my typical usage includes Eudora email, Mozilla web browser,
MS Office Pro 2003, some rudementary Eclipse/Java and Visual C++
programming, Norton AV 2005, and Adaware.

Also of note is that I am about to change my Internet service from
dial-up to DSL, so perhaps there are some firewall considerations.

Thanks!

Ken
July 11, 2005 3:28:38 PM

"Ken" <kenandeva@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi. I've been an XP Home SP1 user for quite a while now. I've been
> hesitant to upgrade to SP2, because I've heard that some common
> software does not work properly on SP2. Is there any truth to this?
> Should I stop worrying and just upgrade?
>
> Note that my typical usage includes Eudora email, Mozilla web browser,
> MS Office Pro 2003, some rudementary Eclipse/Java and Visual C++
> programming, Norton AV 2005, and Adaware.
>
> Also of note is that I am about to change my Internet service from
> dial-up to DSL, so perhaps there are some firewall considerations.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ken

You shouldn't have any problems at all with those applications and XP SP2.
Go ahead and install. However, stuff will happen, so backup all your
critical data first!
July 11, 2005 3:56:41 PM

"Ken" <kenandeva@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi. I've been an XP Home SP1 user for quite a while now. I've been
> hesitant to upgrade to SP2, because I've heard that some common
> software does not work properly on SP2. Is there any truth to this?
> Should I stop worrying and just upgrade?
>
> Note that my typical usage includes Eudora email, Mozilla web browser,
> MS Office Pro 2003, some rudementary Eclipse/Java and Visual C++
> programming, Norton AV 2005, and Adaware.
>
> Also of note is that I am about to change my Internet service from
> dial-up to DSL, so perhaps there are some firewall considerations.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ken

Hi,
I'd echo what Gordon said. Firefox works, Visual Studio works, DSL is fine
with Zone Alarm -not heard that NAV has any serious problems. Office 2003
has a few issues that are listed on the Office website, can't say I have any
real problems with it- though I probably only use 20% of what is there.

The important thing about SP2 is that it closes all those weaknesses that
worms exploit-must mean something that there has been no new Sasser or Sobig
since Sp2 came out. Do create a pre SP2 image of your system though

Chelsea
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 4:33:11 PM

"Chelsea" <gallium1@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Ken" <kenandeva@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi. I've been an XP Home SP1 user for quite a while now. I've been
>> hesitant to upgrade to SP2, because I've heard that some common
>> software does not work properly on SP2. Is there any truth to this?
>> Should I stop worrying and just upgrade?
>>
>> Note that my typical usage includes Eudora email, Mozilla web browser,
>> MS Office Pro 2003, some rudementary Eclipse/Java and Visual C++
>> programming, Norton AV 2005, and Adaware.
>>
>> Also of note is that I am about to change my Internet service from
>> dial-up to DSL, so perhaps there are some firewall considerations.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Ken
>>
> Hi,
> I'd echo what Gordon said. Firefox works, Visual Studio works, DSL is fine
> with Zone Alarm -not heard that NAV has any serious problems. Office 2003
> has a few issues that are listed on the Office website, can't say I have
> any real problems with it- though I probably only use 20% of what is
> there.
>
> The important thing about SP2 is that it closes all those weaknesses that
> worms exploit-must mean something that there has been no new Sasser or
> Sobig since Sp2 came out. Do create a pre SP2 image of your system though
>
> Chelsea

Remember there are groups and forums for most if not all of that software.
You can go there and ask those that know if there is any doubt.
!