Windows crashes before login screen

My PC boots up normally until the point where the cursor appears on the
screen (just before the login screen appears) then it shuts down and
reboots again. It will repeat this process for as long as you leave it
switched on.

I tried doing a repair from the XP disc but it asks for the
administrator password which I don't have, and don't remember setting
when I upgraded from Win 98. Current OS is XP Pro, I presume the file
system is fat as it was an upgrade from 98. :mad:

--
Your Actual
1 answer Last reply

    In news:Your.Actual.1s06dr@pcbanter.net,
    Your Actual <Your.Actual.1s06dr@pcbanter.net> had this to say:

    > My PC boots up normally until the point where the cursor appears on
    > the screen (just before the login screen appears) then it shuts down
    > and reboots again. It will repeat this process for as long as you
    > leave it switched on.
    >
    > I tried doing a repair from the XP disc but it asks for the
    > administrator password which I don't have, and don't remember setting
    > when I upgraded from Win 98. Current OS is XP Pro, I presume the file
    > system is fat as it was an upgrade from 98. :mad:

    If you didn't set up a password it's likely blank. You can try to squat the
    password with this tool:

    Have you tried to get in via safe mode and doing a restore? If you can get
    into safe mode (go ahead and try last known good configuration as well) then
    disable automatic reboots on error. WinKey + Pause/Break > Startup and
    Recovery Settings > UNtick Automatically restart. Then you'll have the error
    code(s) generated and you can troubleshoot the problems a bit easier.

    Safe Mode :
    http://kgiii.info/windows/all/general/safemode.html

    To do a repair installation, as it seems you tried though I think that was
    probably the recovery console you were trying, this would be a good link:

    How to perform an inplace upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341

    Galen

    without them."

    Sherlock Holmes