OE won't register as default mail

New pc just purchased with OEM install of OE/IE. XP Home with SP2.

However OE doesn't register as default mail client.

Tried to set via:

1. OE - Tools/options/general - checked set as default client - this doesn't
stick
also tried
2. IE - internet options/programs/e-mail but OE doesn't appear as an option
on e-mail, though does as newsreader.

I suspect possible corruption of registery may have occured when attempting
to load MS Office.

Thoughts greatly appreciated

"Steve H" <SteveH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> New pc just purchased with OEM install of OE/IE. XP Home with SP2.
>
> However OE doesn't register as default mail client.
>
> Tried to set via:
>
> 1. OE - Tools/options/general - checked set as default client - this
> doesn't
> stick
> also tried
> 2. IE - internet options/programs/e-mail but OE doesn't appear as an
> option
> on e-mail, though does as newsreader.
>
> I suspect possible corruption of registery may have occured when
> attempting
> to load MS Office.

Outlook Express missing from the Internet Options mail clients list
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/oemissing.htm

[Courtesy of Ramesh Srinivasan, MVP]

--
William

Don't know if I should butt into this or not. But I believe that Outlook
makes it's self default when Office is installed. Go to Outlook and find
where it is set. I would tell you where, except that I un-installed
Outlook as I wanted to use Outlook Express and don't remember where the
setting is. . That may be the reason you can't get OEx to be your default
mail program.
Norma