Help with DVD Burner and XP

July 11, 2005 11:45:06 AM

I have beat my head against the monitor on this one. When I try to access a
DVD burner with a blank CD, I was able to drop files in and just burn. Now I
put in a blank CD and try to access it, I recieve the following error. G:\not
accessible incorrect funciton. I read many different solutions, nothing
worked. They all stated I shoudl go to the properties and select the burning
tab and check the box for burning software. The properties does not have this
tab. I have updated the firmware, and removed all burning software. Any Ideas
how to get out of this funk... thanks in advance.
PS I was able to burn with the thrid party software.

More about : dvd burner

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 2:11:00 PM

Windows XP does not natively support burning CDs using a DVD player...
only CD-R/CD-RW players. In order to burn a CD using a DVD player,
you'll need a third-party program, such as NERO.

Visit: http://www.nero.com/us/index.html

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Mike Busch" wrote:

| I have beat my head against the monitor on this one. When I try to access a
| DVD burner with a blank CD, I was able to drop files in and just burn. Now I
| put in a blank CD and try to access it, I recieve the following error. G:\not
| accessible incorrect funciton. I read many different solutions, nothing
| worked. They all stated I shoudl go to the properties and select the burning
| tab and check the box for burning software. The properties does not have this
| tab. I have updated the firmware, and removed all burning software. Any Ideas
| how to get out of this funk... thanks in advance.
| PS I was able to burn with the thrid party software.
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 4:12:20 PM

this happens when I try to burn a CD not a DVD. thanks in advance.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Windows XP does not natively support burning CDs using a DVD player...
> only CD-R/CD-RW players. In order to burn a CD using a DVD player,
> you'll need a third-party program, such as NERO.
>
> Visit: http://www.nero.com/us/index.html
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Mike Busch" wrote:
>
> | I have beat my head against the monitor on this one. When I try to access a
> | DVD burner with a blank CD, I was able to drop files in and just burn. Now I
> | put in a blank CD and try to access it, I recieve the following error. G:\not
> | accessible incorrect funciton. I read many different solutions, nothing
> | worked. They all stated I shoudl go to the properties and select the burning
> | tab and check the box for burning software. The properties does not have this
> | tab. I have updated the firmware, and removed all burning software. Any Ideas
> | how to get out of this funk... thanks in advance.
> | PS I was able to burn with the thrid party software.

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 6:56:01 PM

It's the Recording tab, not the burning tab.

CD Recording tab missing

CD-R drive or CD-RW drive is not recognized as a recordable device

How to troubleshoot issues that occur when you write data to a CD-R or CD-RW
Optical Disc in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324129

Windows XP's native CD recording software does *not* support DVDs.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User