Help with DVD Burner and XP

I have beat my head against the monitor on this one. When I try to access a
DVD burner with a blank CD, I was able to drop files in and just burn. Now I
put in a blank CD and try to access it, I recieve the following error. G:\not
accessible incorrect funciton. I read many different solutions, nothing
worked. They all stated I shoudl go to the properties and select the burning
tab and check the box for burning software. The properties does not have this
tab. I have updated the firmware, and removed all burning software. Any Ideas
how to get out of this funk... thanks in advance.
PS I was able to burn with the thrid party software.
3 answers Last reply
More about help burner

    Windows XP does not natively support burning CDs using a DVD player...
    only CD-R/CD-RW players. In order to burn a CD using a DVD player,
    you'll need a third-party program, such as NERO.

    Visit: http://www.nero.com/us/index.html

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Mike Busch" wrote:

    | I have beat my head against the monitor on this one. When I try to access a
    | DVD burner with a blank CD, I was able to drop files in and just burn. Now I
    | put in a blank CD and try to access it, I recieve the following error. G:\not
    | accessible incorrect funciton. I read many different solutions, nothing
    | worked. They all stated I shoudl go to the properties and select the burning
    | tab and check the box for burning software. The properties does not have this
    | tab. I have updated the firmware, and removed all burning software. Any Ideas
    | how to get out of this funk... thanks in advance.
    | PS I was able to burn with the thrid party software.

    this happens when I try to burn a CD not a DVD. thanks in advance.

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Windows XP does not natively support burning CDs using a DVD player...
    > only CD-R/CD-RW players. In order to burn a CD using a DVD player,
    > you'll need a third-party program, such as NERO.
    >
    > Visit: http://www.nero.com/us/index.html
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Mike Busch" wrote:
    >
    > | I have beat my head against the monitor on this one. When I try to access a
    > | DVD burner with a blank CD, I was able to drop files in and just burn. Now I
    > | put in a blank CD and try to access it, I recieve the following error. G:\not
    > | accessible incorrect funciton. I read many different solutions, nothing
    > | worked. They all stated I shoudl go to the properties and select the burning
    > | tab and check the box for burning software. The properties does not have this
    > | tab. I have updated the firmware, and removed all burning software. Any Ideas
    > | how to get out of this funk... thanks in advance.
    > | PS I was able to burn with the thrid party software.

    It's the Recording tab, not the burning tab.

    CD Recording tab missing

    CD-R drive or CD-RW drive is not recognized as a recordable device

    How to troubleshoot issues that occur when you write data to a CD-R or CD-RW
    Optical Disc in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324129

    Windows XP's native CD recording software does *not* support DVDs.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:5FF186BE-FFEC-4945-8A8C-5465D85D7B9B@microsoft.com,
    Mike Busch <MikeBusch@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I have beat my head against the monitor on this one. When I try to access
    > a DVD burner with a blank CD, I was able to drop files in and just burn.
    > Now I put in a blank CD and try to access it, I recieve the following
    > error. G:\not accessible incorrect funciton. I read many different
    > solutions, nothing worked. They all stated I shoudl go to the properties
    > and select the burning tab and check the box for burning software. The
    > properties does not have this tab. I have updated the firmware, and
    > removed all burning software. Any Ideas how to get out of this funk...
    > thanks in advance.
    > PS I was able to burn with the thrid party software.

DVD Burner Burner Windows XP