Recycler Folder reply to Wes...

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Hi Wes...thanks for the reply...I thought I'd start a new thread to make this
current...thanks for the help...I understand about SID's, and I feel like an
idiot for asking that question without looking at my recycle bin itself to
see what was in there...but what is contained in the NPROTECT folder....I
can't seem to find anything on that either....that's the more perplexing
question...it seems as though they might bee some kind of temp files or
restorable fragments of files....is it safe to empty out that folder (delete
the files), or are they important....any info is very much
appreciated...thanks
Chris

No.

%systemdrive%\RECYCLER\Your SID # is YOUR Recycle Bin.

The Recycler folder is used only on NTFS formatted drives. It's a Hidden
folder.

%systemdrive%\RECYCLER
With at least one folder
SID #
for every user on the machine.

If there is only one user, then there is only one
SID # folder. That SID # folder is the Recycle Bin.

Security identifiers (SIDs) are numeric values that identify a user or
group.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
In news:9A398305-BBD1-4FB2-B5DD-5A3012A89F59@microsoft.com,
Chris <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Is this just the folder where files go after they're kicked out of the
> recycle bin...all of the information I've been able to get from
> researching this, has hinted at that, but has not really specified
> directly....can someone let me know if this is true, and if I want to
> completely delete files, will deleting everything in that folder do
> it....and free up disk space from those apparently useless
> files....thanks in advance for any info...
>
> Chris

Chris

Nprotect is part of Norton Utilities. (It replaces the default recycle
bin.) It prevents the user from accidentally deleting data from the PC and
Recycle Bin. Adds an extra layer of safety before you remove deleted files
from the Recycled Bin.

Disabling the Norton Protected Recycle Bin
http://service1.symantec.com/support/nsw.nsf/ba62122e5d142a6588256d87006b22be/bb1a4d0a3a0b326285256e24004e250f?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:C779FB54-3D09-4B5B-803F-CDBA8153BC62@microsoft.com,
Chris <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi Wes...thanks for the reply...I thought I'd start a new thread to make
> this current...thanks for the help...I understand about SID's, and I feel
> like an idiot for asking that question without looking at my recycle bin
> itself to see what was in there...but what is contained in the NPROTECT
> folder....I can't seem to find anything on that either....that's the more
> perplexing question...it seems as though they might bee some kind of temp
> files or restorable fragments of files....is it safe to empty out that
> folder (delete the files), or are they important....any info is very much
> appreciated...thanks
> Chris
>

> No.
>
> %systemdrive%\RECYCLER\Your SID # is YOUR Recycle Bin.
>
> The Recycler folder is used only on NTFS formatted drives. It's a Hidden
> folder.
>
> %systemdrive%\RECYCLER
> With at least one folder
> SID #
> for every user on the machine.
>
> If there is only one user, then there is only one
> SID # folder. That SID # folder is the Recycle Bin.
>
> Security identifiers (SIDs) are numeric values that identify a user or
> group.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> In news:9A398305-BBD1-4FB2-B5DD-5A3012A89F59@microsoft.com,
> Chris <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Is this just the folder where files go after they're kicked out of the
>> recycle bin...all of the information I've been able to get from
>> researching this, has hinted at that, but has not really specified
>> directly....can someone let me know if this is true, and if I want to
>> completely delete files, will deleting everything in that folder do
>> it....and free up disk space from those apparently useless
>> files....thanks in advance for any info...
>>
>> Chris

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Damn...another idiotic thing I didn't think about....forgot about that damn
Norton...
Wes, you are truly a tremendous help, it's good to know that people like you
are around
thanks so much for the help and kick in the head...lol...I really should've
been able to figure out
those 2 things....I guess I've been working too much and had too many other
things on my mind...
once again thank you so much.....take care
Chris

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Chris
>
> Nprotect is part of Norton Utilities. (It replaces the default recycle
> bin.) It prevents the user from accidentally deleting data from the PC and
> Recycle Bin. Adds an extra layer of safety before you remove deleted files
> from the Recycled Bin.
>
> Disabling the Norton Protected Recycle Bin
> http://service1.symantec.com/support/nsw.nsf/ba62122e5d142a6588256d87006b22be/bb1a4d0a3a0b326285256e24004e250f?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:C779FB54-3D09-4B5B-803F-CDBA8153BC62@microsoft.com,
> Chris <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Hi Wes...thanks for the reply...I thought I'd start a new thread to make
> > this current...thanks for the help...I understand about SID's, and I feel
> > like an idiot for asking that question without looking at my recycle bin
> > itself to see what was in there...but what is contained in the NPROTECT
> > folder....I can't seem to find anything on that either....that's the more
> > perplexing question...it seems as though they might bee some kind of temp
> > files or restorable fragments of files....is it safe to empty out that
> > folder (delete the files), or are they important....any info is very much
> > appreciated...thanks
> > Chris
> >

> > No.
> >
> > %systemdrive%\RECYCLER\Your SID # is YOUR Recycle Bin.
> >
> > The Recycler folder is used only on NTFS formatted drives. It's a Hidden
> > folder.
> >
> > %systemdrive%\RECYCLER
> > With at least one folder
> > SID #
> > for every user on the machine.
> >
> > If there is only one user, then there is only one
> > SID # folder. That SID # folder is the Recycle Bin.
> >
> > Security identifiers (SIDs) are numeric values that identify a user or
> > group.
> >
> > --
> > Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >
> > Wes
> > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> > In news:9A398305-BBD1-4FB2-B5DD-5A3012A89F59@microsoft.com,
> > Chris <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> >> Is this just the folder where files go after they're kicked out of the
> >> recycle bin...all of the information I've been able to get from
> >> researching this, has hinted at that, but has not really specified
> >> directly....can someone let me know if this is true, and if I want to
> >> completely delete files, will deleting everything in that folder do
> >> it....and free up disk space from those apparently useless
> >> files....thanks in advance for any info...
> >>
> >> Chris

Chris,

There's always something. And damn Norton qualifies.

Keep having fun. :)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes