Report: Asus to Launch Eee-book Reader

Status
Not open for further replies.

resonance451

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
The market is going to get so oversaturated that many companies will die as a result. :p

I can't wait until a more precise standard emerges between all e-books so that we don't get trapped in a proprietary mess like the old DRM'd Apple garbage.

greg512

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
The problem with e-book readers is their lack of standards. Their needs to be open standards. I don't want to be stuck with an e-book reader without any book support...

G

I'd already buy the Amazon Kindle 2/DX or similar but I think the display technology is just not there yet: browsing the pages is too slow. Besides, an SD-card slot is a definite Must(TM).

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
everyone's saying if it's cheap, then they'll get it...

but it has to be cheaper than than their netbook...why bother with one function device when you can get netbook that can read ebooks and many other things?

p00dl3_h3r0

Distinguished
May 13, 2005
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]everyone's saying if it's cheap, then they'll get it...but it has to be cheaper than than their netbook...why bother with one function device when you can get netbook that can read ebooks and many other things?[/citation]

For real. Not to mention that netbooks are already cheaper than the other e-book readers. If it can support almost any known document file types, meet the nice and cheap price point, and not make me feel like i'm staring into the backlight of a gameboy for hours on end, than I would for sure consider getting one. However, i'm pretty confident my money is safe.

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
I want a solar powered e-book. No, this is not a joke.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/06/02/apples-innovative-idea-of-integrating-solar-panel-into-mobile-lcd-design/

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]everyone's saying if it's cheap, then they'll get it...but it has to be cheaper than than their netbook...why bother with one function device when you can get netbook that can read ebooks and many other things?[/citation]
I think the screen makes the difference. E-book readers use screens which feel closer to real paper.

ceteras

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
the computer market plans to launch an ebook reader under the Eee brand

Oh boy, really, the whole market will do that?
Or is it just one computer maker?

On the other hand, I subscribe to most comments above:
- we need a standard
- no drm would be nice
- e-readers' screens are actually a sort of electronic ink, they are perfectly readable in bright light, and draw power only for pixels switcing on/off

If it's made by Asus, I'd buy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.