mbrum

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2003
I have built a new PC and it is very unstable. Below is a listing of what components are installed and reoccuring problem.

A7N8X deluxe pcb 2.0
AMD 3200+
Antec 350W power supply
Windows XP Home
2 twinMOS PC3200 512mb chips
ATI radeon 9700 all in wonder
2 serial ata 120gb hard drives
Sony dvd burner
yamaha cd-r/rw

The system is very unstable and gives me a fatal error screen but reboots so fast that you cannot read the screen. When windows restarts it says "recovered from fatal error" and asks if I want to send the report. I did and it had me download a memory diagnostic utility. After running the utility the memory fails. If you remove 1 of the 2 sticks each stick will pass if it is slot 2 on the motherboard. Is the motherboard faulty or is the memory unable to run on this board without special bios settings or in dual channel mode??

Thanks in advance for your help.

Its possible your CMOS settings are set too agressive, try setting them to the setup default settings as a test and see if the machine does the same thing.

<b><font color=red>MERRY</font color=red><font color=green> CHRISTMAS</font color=green><font color=red> TO </font color=red><font color=green>ALL</font color=green></b>

mbrum

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2003
I tried putting bios settings to default and still had same problem. I changed my memory settings to user defined and slowed my memory freq. down to 193mhz and the memory will pass the windows memory diagnostic. I am guessing that a voltage setting is to high or something but am not sure. Have not messed with changing voltages before on other computer builds. Any clues?? Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
Monitor your voltages to make sure the PSU is performing OK (350 watts may be a little light for what you've got in the system).

Have you run memtest86? Your memory is rated to run at FSB of 200. I think if it is good you shouldn't need to adjust voltage to make it run at it's rated speed.

Can you get access to another set of memory sticks, and/or put your memory in another system to help pin down whether it's memory or the mobo?

Good Luck and Happy Holidays

XP 2000+
MSI KT3 ULTRA-2 KT333
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB PC2700
ABIT G4 Ti4200 OTES 64MB
Win98SE

mbrum

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2003
I thank everyone for there input. I did run memtest86 and recieved the same results as window memory diagnostic (memory failed). I did find someone to lend me different memory and that solved my problem completely. Both sticks of my memory are bad which to me is a mystery. I could understand if just one is bad but both will not run on this motherboard. I replace my memory with Allcompenants PC3200 DDR400 512MB chips CL2.5 and the computer passes both memory tests and runs stable just like it should. Again thanks for all your help and have a Happy New Year.